Matcha White Tea
Matcha Green Tea, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel, White Tea
Bitter, Jam, Orange, Orange Zest, Tart
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Iced 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Day 5 – Matcha Advent There is little to no foam to speak of. I’m not sure if it’s the mini whisk that came with the calendar not being up to the job or if it’s just the Matcha. Perhaps because...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 5 Yay, a full mini-tin today! And I can definitely get behind orange matcha, in fact I’ll probably prefer it to the more dessert-y ones which often...” Read full tasting note
  • “363/365 The last of my untried flavoured matchas! I made this one as a shot in cold milk, because simple. It’s about the only thing I have time for on a morning at the moment. I like my new job,...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Matcha superhero superfood flavoured with a citrus orange twist!

Bird & Blend’s Mixology Matcha contains rare and unique white matcha, grown at higher elevations to ensure an antioxidant boosted, even more nutrient rich cup.

Japanese Matcha Green Tea, orange peel, natural flavouring granules

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Day 5 – Matcha Advent

There is little to no foam to speak of. I’m not sure if it’s the mini whisk that came with the calendar not being up to the job or if it’s just the Matcha. Perhaps because it’s a blend it just doesn’t foam properly? The third option is me but I am not a new hand at Matcha making and haven’t had problems before with foam.

Flavour is orange and it’s nicer than the lemon one from yesterday. While it’s orange peel and waxy I also taste sweetness and something pulpy which makes for a wonderful after taste. Some astringency again but not much and it works well with the orange peel zesty tones anyway.

It’s also somewhat creamy and very easy to drink. Some dryness in the after taste about half way down my bowl.

I enjoyed this blend though I wasn’t sure I would after yesterdays Lemon Matcha. Even though I don’t have anything to compare this particular flavour with I would still say it was pleasant. Not sure it would be on my to purchase list but something I would happily drink again.

Pictures and more information on my blog.

Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 5

Yay, a full mini-tin today! And I can definitely get behind orange matcha, in fact I’ll probably prefer it to the more dessert-y ones which often taste artificial to me. Prepared as a matcha milk with 1 teaspoon of matcha to 8 ounces of plain soy milk.

The flavor of this actually reminds me of marmalade, which is not what I was expecting. It’s a somewhat tart orange flavor combined with the slightly bitterness of orange peel. I will say the amount of flavoring is more balanced here than in some of their other flavors, but of course the base is still disappointingly weak to me. I can taste it a little bit here, but only if I think about it. I feel like they should call this one “Marmalade Matcha”.

From the Bonne Maman advent, today I have Grapefruit-Dragon Fruit (Pamplemousse-Fruit du Dragon) spread. What an unusual jam – both flavors I wouldn’t expect to see. Technically this one is actually more of a jelly, there doesn’t appear to be any peel or chunks of fruit. It’s a pretty coral color in the jar.

It’s actually really tasty. I’m not sure I get dragonfruit – but it is like a sweeter and less bitter grapefruit. Yummy. I would totally buy this if it were a normal offering. Unfortunately, I think all of these advent jams are exclusive to the calendar…

Flavors: Bitter, Jam, Orange, Orange Zest, Tart

Iced 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
AJRimmer

Your jam calendar sounds so tasty oh my gosh!

Cameron B.

Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/Bonne-Maman-2018-Advent-Calendar/dp/B071YZ1HK8

You should get one next year! I think it was something like $30 or so, but it sold out really fast on Amazon. I was lucky to have found one locally after it’d sold out online. ❤

Kawaii433

I need to try matcha with soymilk. All these years I either have it two ways: Straight or if the matcha tastes icky, I put it in smoothies.

Cameron B.

I really should probably try it straight more often… What ratio of matcha:water do you generally use?

Kawaii433

I always prepare it “ceremonial style”, 2 tsp, sift it through a fine sieve, add a ~2oz of 185F water, whisk it, add about 2-3 oz of water, whisk to froth.

Cameron B.

That sounds a bit hardcore for me, ha ha…

Kawaii433

hehe If you get a really high-quality matcha, it’s very smooth but otherwise, it can be very very harsh and in it goes to the smoothies haha. Found a good video for you to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM70nOceth8

Mastress Alita

The orange matcha is one of the ones I’ve always wanted to try.

Cameron B.

@Mastress Alita – I’ll send you the remainder of the mini-tin with your Mulled Wine Magic! But it’s more orange peel than orange.

Cameron B.

@Kawaii – Maybe I’ll start off with 8 ounces of water instead of soy milk… Baby steps!

Kawaii433

Cameron, sounds good hehe. What you can do is follow that youtube video and put in soymilk. Lots of people I know put heavy cream and sugar in it after it is made and not drink it straight.

tea-sipper

I was going to ask a link to the jams, but AJ beat me to it. :D

AJRimmer

If I can get a higher paying job by next winter, I may have to do it!

363/365

The last of my untried flavoured matchas! I made this one as a shot in cold milk, because simple. It’s about the only thing I have time for on a morning at the moment. I like my new job, but the commuting is evil. Anyway, I was hoping for a creamsicle sort-of vibe with this one, but unfortunately that’s not what I got. There wasn’t much in the way of orange flavour, and what there was came across pithy and a touch bitter. This was one of Bird & Blend’s first flavoured matchas, if I remember right, so perhaps they just weren’t as on point with those early ones as they are now…but still, it was disappointing. I also found it a bit clumpy, but that might just have been my impatience.

It’s not awful, but there are definitely better B&B matchas out there.

Mastress Alita

Perhaps vanilla almond milk would help bring out a creamsicle note?