Mint Pistachio

Black Herbal Blend
Cardamom, Ceylon Black Tea, Natural Flavours, Peppermint
Nuts, Peppermint, Baked Bread, Malt, Menthol, Mint, Creamy, Almond, Cardamon, Cherry, Herbaceous, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “This is one of the teas I bought on their boxing day sale. I was a bit amazed; pistachio is expensive here (probably everywhere, but I digress) and I love that nuts. And combined with mint?...” Read full tasting note
  • “I don’t love mint teas, but I love pistachio. The love of pistachio and my curiosity got the best of me with this blend. The first thing I notice when I open the package is the intense smell of...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was going to make Christmas Cake, but when I dug into my B&B black tea freezer bag, I saw my package of Christmas Cake was still sealed, and this had been cut open, so I changed gears (as I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to tea-sipper for this one! I’ve also had a sample of it from Mastress Alita, though I didn’t write a note at the time. The mint is really good. I’m having it at room temperature, and the...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

This tea evokes that heavenly Persian pairing of mint and pistachio, with a compliment of cardamom to intensify the sweet Middle-Eastern flavours. The aromas and taste of this blend will send you nutty for more!

Sri Lankan black tea, peppermint, cardamom, natural flavouring

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

This is one of the teas I bought on their boxing day sale.

I was a bit amazed; pistachio is expensive here (probably everywhere, but I digress) and I love that nuts. And combined with mint? Honestly I couldn’t imagine it.

This is only tea I have opened from that order (if I don’t count the already drank tea bags) and I just had to smell it.
Nuttiness hit my nose, then the mint notes… I let my brother smell it and he said “It’s how I would expect it.” and me too! It smells indeed quite nice, though quite strongly IMO.

Ah well, flavour profile. I prepared it two times already; so this will be a combination of both. One was 4 minutes (as recommended) long, the other was certainly more than 5 and less than 10 minutes long. I was a bit distracted by my grandma, who decided to give me some money to finish the school (I have to pay per term.). How nice from her!

I digressed again, sorry.
It is nicely nutty, with pretty much nice base. It is indeed like a pistachio (is that the cardamom in actually?); and the menthol freshnesss is very enjoyable too. It seems fresh to me, but luckily it isn’t overpowering the nutiness nor the base.

Well blended, indeed! 50 grams will be gone faster than I have thought. It seems that almost only me and Roswell Strange are truly fans of this blend :D

Flavors: Nuts, Peppermint

205 °F / 96 °C 2 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML
Courtney

Your boxing day parcel arrived! Pistachio is expensive here too!

Martin Bednář

It was on Friday already. Quite fast.

White Antlers

Pistachios are very expensive here, too. I could eat a bag in one sitting, so I don’t keep any around. Too costly for idle snacking and don’t get me started on the bliss that is pistachio butter…

Courtney

The post was just dropped here and B&B is here for me as well. :)

Martin Bednář

I hope you will find there some nice teas Courtney. But I am sure you ordered only the nice ones :D

Courtney

Haha! I only ordered refills of my favourites. :P What about you?

ashmanra

God bless Grandma! What a blessing!

Martin Bednář

I went for a few new blends for me! And only one favourite. Mint Pistachio, Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (that’s the favourite), Banana Bread Chai (sounded nice) and Relax (because of exams) Free shipping caused that I have ordered my friend a surprise belated Christmas gift; I bought her a Christmas box of 12 tea bags. She is loving them!

Courtney

That’s awesome Martin! And sharing tea is the best, especially when they’re so well received! :)

White Antlers

Aww, your Grandma sounds sweet! How kind. : )

The first thing I notice when I open the package is the intense smell of amaretto (which, I’m guessing, is the pistachio flavoring). The flavor is much more subtle than I was expecting based on the smell. It’s mostly peppermint, with a hint of sweet pistachio.

I was going to make Christmas Cake, but when I dug into my B&B black tea freezer bag, I saw my package of Christmas Cake was still sealed, and this had been cut open, so I changed gears (as I know the sealed packages will keep fresh longer). I know I’ve never had this tea, so I can only assume I opened it to give someone as a request for a trade at some point.

The dry leaf just smells like peppermint tea. And my brewed cup… still smells just like peppermint tea. It’s… a little jarring because there is this really strong menthol coming from the mint, which leaves such a cooling sensation on the mouth, but that sensation is making the black base come off a little metallic in flavor. I have to really push past the strong, minty sensation and swish the tea to taste the malty/bready black base at the back of my tongue and throat. It’s a flavor that can only really come in once that strong minty pucker sort of dissipates from the sip, so the aftertaste is sort of an English-Breakfast-if-I-just-brushed-my-teeth sort of taste. And there is nothing even remotely pistachio, or even nutty about this. I’m not sure if that is just my palate or due to the age of the blend.

Not really a fan of this. I like minty teas, but I don’t think I’m liking the strength of mint here paired on a black base much. Might try it cold brewed or as an iced tea instead, and see if that improves things.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Menthol, Mint, Peppermint

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 350 ML

Thanks to tea-sipper for this one! I’ve also had a sample of it from Mastress Alita, though I didn’t write a note at the time. The mint is really good. I’m having it at room temperature, and the flavor is so clean and fresh. I don’t taste any pistachio or black tea, but the mint is some of the best mint I’ve had. Really pleased with this one, though I don’t think I’d buy it over a caffeine-free mint blend.

Roswell Strange

Deeply regret not getting more of this when I had the chance; it was a blend that really surprised me with how much I enjoyed it! Never knew that I’d like pistachio and mint together so much.

tea-sipper

Maybe they will bring it back, Roswell (B&B’s sale in about ten days, perhaps?)

AJRimmer

I’m very excited for the sale!!

It’s been a rough few days.

Maybe it’s my frustrated mindset, or maybe it’s because flavored teas often confound me, but I find it difficult to capture what I think about this tea. The first cup tasted overwhelmingly of alcohol-based extract (pistachio flavoring?). The blend really grew on me over the course of three days, though. Sweet but crisp mint, very lightly creamy. Green cardamom blends so well I couldn’t pick it out at first. The black tea seems to serve as a caffeine-delivery vehicle. Maybe it provides a different, oh-so-light layer of tannic cleansing. I just don’t know.

Recommend 1tsp, 10oz, water off boil for 1 steep as long as you want. 2tsp with a 3min first steep doesn’t seem to leave enough power for a second steep.

Thanks for providing a bit of respite from the madness, tea-sipper <3

Martin Bednář

I should look for this one

Kawaii433

I hope your situation improves. I’m sorry derk :(.

Flavored teas do that to me too! I also have a problem with rating them. Non flavored is far easier (for me) to rate but I get perplexed when it comes to flavored teas.

You’re welcome. :D

Thanks again for your sale, Cameron B! More B&B teas I have the chance to try! This blend sounded like an intriguing combination, unfortunately I can’t taste much of the pistachio or cardamom at all, with the leaves in my teaspoon being mostly mint. The black tea that did end up in the teaspoon didn’t result in as light of a brew as expected, so that’s a plus. Hopefully they upgraded that too-light Ceylon in their blends a while ago. The mint was quite strong, which I like, with also a bit of a creaminess — a quality I definitely enjoyed from their Brighton Rock. This is mostly a black tea with creamy mint which is good thing, I can always enjoy more mint blends, especially when headaches roll in, though the blend is nothing spectacular. Unless it’s in how I’m brewing it. It’s also a little too much like their Candy Cane blend I had the other day. I have 25grams to experiment with. I usually have two teas with caffeine in a day and I thought this one especially paired very well with TeaPots n Treasures’ Chagas, Chestnut & Chocolate which is an old favorite I have once in while. I was please to see the company still in business today (though a kind Steepsterer originally sent me this blend, I didn’t think the company would still be around after all these years. Sadly, no Chagas, etc currently in stock but they make a point of letting you ask about blends.)
Steep #1 // 1 teaspoons for my smaller mug // 8 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 3 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep

Flavors: Creamy, Mint

Kawaii433

Aww sounded interesting until you said the mint is quite strong. Me no likey too strong mint. >.<

tea-sipper

Oops sorry. Maybe all the mint landed in my teaspoon!

Kawaii433

hehe Well, let me know as you experiment. :)

2033 tasting notes

Home – 8:30 PM

This was one of the bonus 50g bags from my Bird & Blend order. It looks like this was a spring blend that they don’t carry at the moment. I do like both mint and pistachio, so hooray! I was surprised that this is a black tea – if I were to blend those two flavors, I would likely put them with a white tea base.

Wow, sniffing the dry tea certainly cleared my sinuses out! It smells like peppermint Altoids… O.O

Luckily, the steeped tea doesn’t have such a strong peppermint aroma. Hmm… The peppermint here goes a little “wet rag” for me. I sometimes have that issue with peppermint leaf. I do taste just a little bit of cardamom, which is a spice that I really enjoy when it’s not too strong. To me it almost tastes like a combination of citrus and floral with some additional spiciness. I’m not sure I can taste the black tea at all here. The pistachio (which really is almond extract, like in pistachio ice cream) comes at the end of the sip, and it is quite subtle. It gives the blend a slight creaminess as well.

Personally, I could do with less peppermint leaf here. I feel like it overpowers the other two flavors, and it definitely overpowers the black tea.

Maybe next time I’ll try picking some of the peppermint out to see if that improves it.

Flavors: Almond, Cardamon, Cherry, Creamy, Herbaceous, Peppermint, Sweet

Kittenna

This makes me think of mint chocolate chip ice cream, which I like despite disliking peppermint – but it sounds like the wrong type of mintiness for me! (Yay, a tea I don’t need to try!)

Cameron B.

It’s definitely an herbal peppermint flavor, not a candy one.

In my head this tea is called “Pistachio Mint” because of how strong and rich the pistachio notes are to me – though definitely some mint that still comes through fairly strongly along with the cardamom. This one has realllllllyyy grown on me over time, and sooner rather than later I’d like to place another Bird & Blend order to try a whole bunch of their new matcha flavours. I think this is the only loose tea that I’m actually looking at including in that order – and probably a good 100g of it.

That is, if it’s still being carried – I haven’t checked the website yet because I’m a little scared to find out that maybe it’s not.

Side note – I wonder what adding mulberry leaf would do to the flavour of this? It’s got such a nice, rich nutty/creamy flavour that I feel like it would really make the pistachio pop even further!

Mastress Alita

It was one of their summer seasonals last year, so ya, it’s not around anymore.

Roswell Strange

Well fuck. Maybe it’ll come back this summer… One can hope…

196/365

I’m kind of behind with Bird & Blend’s spring collection, mostly thanks to the cold I got a couple of weeks back. It’s been the lingering kind, and I’m only just starting to feel like I’m finally getting rid of it. The weather also took a turn for the worst at about the same time, and all things considered I just wasn’t feeling spring.

Now things are finally looking up, I decided to give this a go. Bird & Blend (I still type Bluebird every time…) have an amazing looking recipe for Mint Pistachio Gelatte on their website, so that’s what I did. It uses 2 tsp of Mint Pistachio and 1/4 tsp of Ice Cream Matcha. I whisked up the matcha in a splash of water while the Mint Pistachio brewed, the combined them over ice and topped the glass up with milk.

I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect, but the end result is pretty good. The mint is the main flavour, in a way that’s reminiscent of moroccan mint without the sugar. I was really pleased to find that the pistachio has a strong presence, too, since I thought it might get drowned out. It’s creamy and mildly nutty, and complements the mint perfectly. The ice cream matcha works nicely as a base flavour, adding a hint of extra sweetness and creaminess. It doesn’t have as much impact on the flavour as I thought it might, but it adds a nice dessert-like backdrop that helps to bring out the best in the other flavours. I imagine a latte without the matcha would be a little flatter and more savoury, although I would probably add some honey and vanilla essence to compensate for that. It’s definitely something I’ll try before I say goodbye to this one.

I’m really pleased with how this worked out, but mostly with how clear both the mint and pistachio were as flavours, and how well they worked in combination. I feel like it’s an unusual pairing, but one I’d seek out again in the future. I hope they bring this back again next year!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp