Apple & Pears Matcha

Fruit Matcha White Blend
Apple, Beet Root, Matcha Green Tea, Natural Flavours, White Tea
Apple, Bitter, Candy, Grass, Pear, Roasted, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Iced 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 16 I figured this is a good one to try with water instead of soy milk. Apple and pear sounds refreshing and crisp. So I prepared 1 teaspoon of matcha...” Read full tasting note
  • “354/365 If you’ve seen my photo on Facebook, you’ll know this turns out the most unattractive colour – for a drink – known to man. It’s brown. Beige-brown, admittedly, but still. I wasn’t sure how...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another matcha that I mixed with chia and cold water, as a “breakfast drink” of sorts. I actually really enjoyed this one – even though I was a touch heavy handed with the amount of matcha I used...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Apple and pears is a juicy, fruity matcha made in heaven!

The zingy, pingy, refreshingly fruity matcha! Delicious hot, as a latte or makes the perfect pear-ing with ice!

Japanese matcha green tea, beetroot, dehydrated apple powder (preservative sulphur dioxide), natural flavouring granules.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 16

I figured this is a good one to try with water instead of soy milk. Apple and pear sounds refreshing and crisp. So I prepared 1 teaspoon of matcha with 8 ounces of 175° water. I was very surprised by the dark red/brown color! Apparently there’s beetroot powder in here.

Hmm. Well I like the added flavoring in this one. It’s definitely apple & pear candies, with a likeness to green apple Jolly Ranchers. I’m surprised that even prepared this way, the matcha doesn’t have much of a flavor to it. I get a light roasted green tea note that reminds me of bancha. Maybe a little bit of wet grass?

There is a big wallop of bitterness at the end of the sip, though, and some astringency. Unfortunately I don’t really have anything to compare this to, since I generally have my matcha with milk. So I’ll leave off a rating until I try the rest of this one that way.

The Bonne Maman jam for today is Rhubarb (Rhubarbe) spread. I do like rhubarb, though it’s not super common here in the States. My grandmother makes strawberry-rhubarb pies, which is why I’m familiar with it.

This is very tasty though! A nice balance of sweet and tart with a lovely rhubarb flavor. Nom.

Flavors: Apple, Bitter, Candy, Grass, Pear, Roasted, Sweet

Iced 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
tea-sipper

Oo a plain rhubarb jam!

ashmanra

I must find the Bonne Maman advent calender for next year!

Cameron B.

@ashmanra – It was available on Amazon, so that’s an easy option.

Kittenna

You have a jam advent calendar too? That’s fantastic. I want one. All I have is my homemade tea one and Lego!

354/365

If you’ve seen my photo on Facebook, you’ll know this turns out the most unattractive colour – for a drink – known to man. It’s brown. Beige-brown, admittedly, but still. I wasn’t sure how this one would work hot, so I prepared it as a shot; ¼ tsp whisked into cold milk. Despite appearances, it tastes nice. It actually reminds me of Haribo tangfastics – the apple and pear flavours are super artificial, but I actually quite like it. It’s sweet and candy-like, and (really speaking) not at all like matcha. There’s no hint of green tea here, which is a bonus if strong, grassy matcha scares you. I know it does me.

I had the same problem with this one that I’ve had with most Bird & Blend matchas – it blends well initially, but seems to separate out pretty quickly. There’s also a strong carob flavour, and it has those white flavouring “beads” that confused me so much when I first tried their Salted Caramel Matcha. It’s a little powdery in terms of texture, maybe exacerbated by my preparation method. I suppose in a shot, there’s a fairly high matcha to milk ratio. The quantity of milk would obviously be much greater in a latte.

I’m happy with it on the whole, though. It’s a matcha I can see myself drinking on a morning, and I could do with some of that at the moment!

Another matcha that I mixed with chia and cold water, as a “breakfast drink” of sorts. I actually really enjoyed this one – even though I was a touch heavy handed with the amount of matcha I used it had a lovely freshness and sweetness to it and both apple/pear flavours were really clear/vibrant/non-competitive. Some grassyness from the matcha itself, but it fit well with the orchard fruits. More of a “red apple” with that sweet, dewy quality than more tart green apple. Succulent. Maybe even a touch creamy from the pear!? Felt very much like a breakfast appropriate flavor.