Herbal Tea
Cloves, Ginger, Pumpkin, Spicy, Sweet, Butternut Squash, Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by Scheherazade

• “I was asked by family member if I could brew some caffeine-free tea. I took this one, as – apparently I haven’t got yet, and finish the pouch as well. There were 7 and half grams of the blend;...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another tea from today! I don’t know why but the name of this tea really gets me – like, it’s cute and adorable as a stand alone name but also kind of witty/clever as a Spice Girl’s reference which...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was looking for a caffeine free tea for tonight and this one fit the bill. It was the second of the three teas in my Bird & Blend subscription box. It brews up very pale. Either I didn’t add...” Read full tasting note
  • “Pumpkin tea showdown! I drank 5 pumpkin teas side by side for comparison. Dry, this has a very rich yet bright scent to it. It smells very sugary and desert like. This is a tisane, so no tea left...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Product description not available yet.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I was asked by family member if I could brew some caffeine-free tea.

I took this one, as – apparently I haven’t got yet, and finish the pouch as well. There were 7 and half grams of the blend; which is, in my opinion good amount for 1 litre French press I was preparing in.

After few minutes of brewing, I decided to take a glass and sip. It brews light yellow, somehow spicy aroma. Maybe I detect the most bit of cloves and pumpkin. Which makes sense, as both those are there. Unfortunately, I do not notice cinnamon at all.

In taste – it is somehow spicy too, quite mouth-watrering tea it is. The pumpkin / vegetables are most present with warming spices. Ginger is there making it to “feel something” and in the end of sip, I notice quite strong sweetness.

Interesting tea, but, the pumpkin flavour is bit weird, I would maybe rather enjoy some other base. Maybe rooibos to keep it caffeine free? Maybe chicory root to make it bit bitter?

Flavors: Cloves, Ginger, Pumpkin, Spicy, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 7 tsp 34 OZ / 1000 ML

Another tea from today!

I don’t know why but the name of this tea really gets me – like, it’s cute and adorable as a stand alone name but also kind of witty/clever as a Spice Girl’s reference which feels extra clever since it came from a British tea company. Like, why does that hit me so much!? I had the bag of this tea at my desk today and every time someone came by while I was drinking the mug I would thrust the bag at them and excitedly squeal “look at this tea! The name is so cute!” It was like one of those out of body experiences where I was watching myself get excited about it and I just reacting with slight amusement and lots of confusion…

As for the taste!? Well, I actually enjoyed this A LOT more than I expected to. My initial fear was that it was basically just going to be a whole lot of spices and it would just taste like a generic pumpkin spice mix without either a unique element to the profile or any actual pumpkin. Well, colour me shocked because it was delicious. Definitely a spice blend to be sure – but the combination of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and just a little ginger are very well balanced. I particularly loved the amount of clove in the blend; it was distinct and so tasty. However, the best part was this thick and creamy vanilla note that I wasn’t prepared for, along with a hint of pumpkin – mind you, I imagine it was a pumpkin flavouring comboed with either just vanilla flavouring or either cream or vanilla cream flavouring but those notes were really smooth and strong. It actually tasted like having a slice of sweet pumpkin pie with cinnamon baked into the crust topped with a scoop of fresh vanilla ice cream and finely ground pumpkin spices. Really accurate and well done! Definitely more interesting than a straight up “pumpkin spice” blend, that’s for sure!

Only criticism is the sprinkles – cute as they are (and they are cute) I really just don’t think they’re necessary in the blend. I mean, I don’t love sprinkles in tea blends in the first place but in the case of this tea is just seems like something meant to elevate the visual, but I think the visual looks just fine – appropriate for the tea as it stands…

tea-sipper

I think the original blend needs that hint of sweetness from the sprinkles. It’s a perfect blend. I haven’t tried Baby Spice yet though!

I was looking for a caffeine free tea for tonight and this one fit the bill. It was the second of the three teas in my Bird & Blend subscription box. It brews up very pale. Either I didn’t add enough or that is just the way it brews. Since it is an herbal with no honeybush or rooibos I think it must just be that color.

When it was hot I didn’t really get much from it. AS it cooled it became sweeter, and almost creamy even without any cream. The spice appears to be fairly mild as I didn’t feel it. As it cooled further it became soapy. I’m not sure if that is just because of my non working nose. Sometimes I get phantom flavors. So to enjoy this one again I will need to wait for it to hit just the right temperature and then drink it quickly before it turns too cold.

Pumpkin tea showdown! I drank 5 pumpkin teas side by side for comparison.

Dry, this has a very rich yet bright scent to it. It smells very sugary and desert like. This is a tisane, so no tea left in the steeper basket, just rehydrated pumpkin pieces and flower petals. The taste I’m getting is bright, with a little bite, but well balanced. It’s slightly sweetened and I generally like it. I feel like I get a little more ginger bread in this.

Adding cream… it is now rich and lovely. I can maybe get a hint of pumpkin, but mostly I get a nice mix of spices on a pudding like base.
Cold… still pretty nice. I little more soapy of a mouthfeel, but still a good cup.

347/365

Halloween tea! This one’s the caffeine-free version of Spiced Pumpkin Pie, and at first I wasn’t even remotely close to believing that would be possible to pull off. How wrong I was! This is so close to tasting like SPP, it’s a little scary. It doesn’t have quite as much depth, perhaps, but it’s incredibly squashy – just like SPP! There’s not a huge amount of spice, at least initially. I found that it was more noticeable in the aftertaste – mostly cinnamon, and a touch of ginger. I don’t find SPP particularly spicy, though, so it’s in keeping with that.

One thing I did notice here is that there’s quite a lot of apple. It’s sweet-ish, but not overdone, and nicely bakey. I think the apple here is supposed to be contributing the “pie” aspect – where SPP does quite well at that, this one’s a little lacking . The apple almost makes up for it, though – it reminds me of apple pie filling, in a gooey, starchy, sweet sort of way. Lots of good things combined!

There is clove in this blend, but I couldn’t taste it. The same goes for the rosehip. It has the cutest pumpkin sprinkles, which probably shouldn’t sway me – but who am I kidding?! They’re not the same as the ones in SPP, which is a nice touch. Overall, I really like this one. I prefer the original, of course, but this is a fabulous substitute. It’s nice to have a bedtime version of SPP, and I can see myself drinking it a lot over the coming months. Winner, winner!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
tea-sipper

Nice to hear it is delicious yet different from the original. I’m drinking the original SPP right now. :D