Fairytale of NY

Food Herbal Rooibos Blend
Cocoa Bean Shells, Coffee Beans, Dandelion Root, Natural Flavours, Rooibos
Cocoa, Coffee, Alcohol, Caramel, Cream, Roasted, Sweet, Chocolate, Smooth, Whiskey, Wood, Vanilla
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 12 oz / 353 ml

• “Thanks so much Cameron B for a bit of this one! Always happy to try these limited B&B teas! I REALLY like this one. The flavor is dreamy perfect. I don’t know why I would need a rooibos...” Read full tasting note
  • “Holiday Tea-son! New month, new theme, so this month I’ll be trying to crack out all the random holiday blends I have sitting around my house from years past, as well as working on my advent...” Read full tasting note
  • “Home – 10:30 PM I feel a bit bad being the first note for this tea. I don’t generally approve of coffee-flavored teas. If I wanted coffee, I would drink coffee… And it adds a bit of insult to...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

& the bells were ringing out for… This blend is inspired by a creamy Irish coffee!

With sweet vanilla rooibos & chocolate-y notes, this creamy Irish coffee inspired blend is a Christmas dream come true! Raise your mugs, Teabirds & join us… ‘& the bells are ringing out..’

Ingredients: Rooibos, cocoa shells, coffee beans (12%), roasted dandelion root, natural flavouring.

Brewing Instructions: 1 tsp per cup, 100C/212F, 4+ mins

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Thanks so much Cameron B for a bit of this one! Always happy to try these limited B&B teas! I REALLY like this one. The flavor is dreamy perfect. I don’t know why I would need a rooibos blend that tastes like coffee… maybe to trick myself into staying awake late at night? Sure, that’s a good reason. But the flavors here are delicious. It’s such a perfect balance of coffee, cocoa and a hint of creaminess. I’m not sure what the dandelion root is here for or what it does for the blend… I can’t really tell it’s there. But again, the balance is amazing. I’ve also never had Irish Cream so who knows. It’s fantastic with just one teaspoon. I really like this one and hope they bring it back at some point.
Steep #1 // 1 teaspoons for a full mug // 10 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 5 minute steep

Flavors: Cocoa, Coffee

Holiday Tea-son! New month, new theme, so this month I’ll be trying to crack out all the random holiday blends I have sitting around my house from years past, as well as working on my advent calendars (I didn’t go like, Cameron B. crazy on them, so I only have Bird & Blend’s 24 day one and 52Tea’s 12 Days of Christmas one). I don’t have an abundance of what I would consider holiday blends, so I might just throw in some flavors that seem to fit, or finally put progress toward the ol’ sipdown goal. My New Year’s Resolution is to make some major progress on sipping down my tea collection and freeing up space on my tea wall, and cutting down my tea spending by half (or more) next year.

So this is my first Bird & Blend advent calendar tea, an Irish Cream coffee inspired blend. Unlike most tea drinkers I know, I am not coffee adverse, I drank it for a good decade or more… in fact, I’m new in the scheme of things when it comes to the tea game. I had to go off of coffee to determine if caffeine was one of my migraine triggers, but I was so used to that “warm” drink in the morning I bought a bunch of bagged herbals from the store to make those few months of hell easier. After one month of worse headaches from caffeine withdrawal, one month off, then month three reintroducing caffeine, it was determined it had no effect on my migraines at all: didn’t trigger them, didn’t make them better (it can do both). So I could start drinking coffee again. But I’d been so impressed with the variety in tea, I just stuck with tea, and started exploring it’s caffeinated options at that point. I still can (and will) drink coffee, and like the taste. So there isn’t going to be any “Oh boo, coffee evil!” from me here. In fact, they absolutely nailed the aroma of Irish Cream here (at least, the flavoring, I’ve never had proper Irish Cream in coffee… alcohol definitely is something that gives me migraines!)

The flavor is quite nice for what they are going for… it does have that slight liquor sort of bite at the end of the sip, it’s quite sweet with some creaminess, very mild cocoa notes, with a nice roasted coffee flavor. But the coffee flavor is making me want a strongly caffeinated cup, so I’m a bit confused why this is on a rooibos base… perhaps the sweet/honeyed rooibos made the flavors pop more, since black tea would be quite malty and dominate the flavors more? It just feels like an odd juxtaposition, since my brain associates the coffee flavor with a morning drink, but the rooibos blend with a relaxing evening herbal. I’m sure all the blender was going for was trying to mimick the flavor as faithfully as possible, but sometimes practicality needs to stump ingenuity.

I enjoy the taste. But I have other blends with coffee beans in them, and they are on black, pu-erh, or roasted yerba mate bases, and I prefer them more as they know what they want to be: caffeine rescue drinks. This is little more than a novelity.

Flavors: Alcohol, Caramel, Cocoa, Coffee, Cream, Roasted, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML
Cameron B.

I’ll take that as a compliment. ;)

tea-sipper

I will be enjoying reading the advent notes from everyone who bought them. :D

Mastress Alita

I’ve been enjoying reading them too!

I bought mine back in November and have had them stashed away, heh. I made an Advent Calendar using teas from my collection and gave it to a friend for his Christmas present. :-D (Hey, that gets rid of some of my over-abundance of teas, and isn’t bad for a DIY Christmas gift, especially since he seemed to like it!)

tea-sipper

Oh that IS a cool idea to get rid of excess teas. haha.

TreeGal

Hee hee, “didn’t go Cameron B. crazy!” I’m same as you, although I never received my 52 teas one. I got Tea Revv and T2. I considered this one but am glad I didn’t because this first one sounds like something I’d like to like, but wouldn’t. And I hate when the first one out of the box is one I don’t like…I’m looking at you, Tea Revv…

TreeGal

And I feel the need to mention that I’ve not actually communicated with 52 Teas yet, so please no one consider my comment as a negative one against them. If it was sent, someone probably swiped it off my doorstep because that has been happening some in my otherwise nice suburban neighborhood. But I don’t want to imply any shadiness or lack of help from 52 Teas!

Cameron B.

I fully understand if everyone wants to unfollow me for the month of December, LOL!

Cameron B.

@Mastress Alita – I love your idea for a homemade tea advent calendar! If I’m still around next year, maybe I’ll organize a secret swap sort of deal where we all exchange calendars… That sounds fun!

Mastress Alita

The 52Teas ones haven’t been shipped out yet, TreeGal. They are 12 Days, not 24, so they are on a later schedule. Also Anne got hit with some menangitis in the middle of November that set her back quite a bit. She was in the hospital for a week straight at one point.

TreeGal

Oh, how awful! I’m extra glad I hadn’t contacted her yet! Thanks for letting me know so that I wasn’t adding extra stress!

Lexie Aleah

@Cam I was actually considering posting about doing a swap where people make their own advent calendars and send them to people.If you did that next year I’d totally be in!

Home – 10:30 PM

I feel a bit bad being the first note for this tea. I don’t generally approve of coffee-flavored teas. If I wanted coffee, I would drink coffee… And it adds a bit of insult to injury that this one is a caffeine-free rooibos blend but then has added coffee beans. I’m sure they don’t contribute much caffeine, but it seems odd. I didn’t actually order this blend, but they added a free 50g bag of it to my shipment so here we are.

This is not bad for a coffee-flavored tea. I think the red rooibos actually goes quite well with the coffee, which is interesting. There’s a nice balance struck between the two. I also get some creaminess, though I would like more. I think a bigger hit of vanilla would really round this out. There’s just a bit of chocolate from the cacao shells as well.

I think this really does fulfill the Irish coffee idea. The rooibos helps drive home the whiskey element. I could do with just a bit more cream and vanilla, but I think they’ve done a good job overall.

Undecided on whether I’ll keep this one around… Coffee isn’t generally a flavor I see myself craving in the evening when I’m like to drink rooibos blends. Hmm…

I was planning on withholding a rating since I don’t generally like coffee teas, but this one is so well done that I feel comfortable giving it a score. :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Coffee, Cream, Roasted, Smooth, Sweet, Whiskey, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
VariaTEA

I am also confused by caffeine free teas with coffee. Also 50 grams is quite the sample. Glad you didn’t hate it :P

Cameron B.

I complained to them via email about there being no free shipping threshold for international orders, so they threw in 3 bonus 50g bags to compensate LOL.

I’m not highly affected by caffeine so it’s not a big deal, but I genuinely wonder how much caffeine the coffee beans add.

VariaTEA

I usually am not bothered by caffeine in tea. Coffee tends to make me jittery. I imagine what the coffee beans contribute is negligent but it’s still weird.

VariaTEA

Also why not just compensate shipping at that point? I suppose 3 50 gram samples is nice but it’s risky considering it could be teas you don’t like

Cameron B.

I suppose that’s true… I ended up making a giant order because I figured at least them the percentage of cost going to shipping is smaller, so it’s more worth it. Their shipping is about £13 once your order is over £45. And that’s economy shipping with no tracking.