Salted Caramel Lebkuchen

Black Chai Fruit Blend
Apple Pieces, Cardamom, Ceylon Black Tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel, Rose Hips
Caramel, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Salty, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Martin Bednář

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Pronounced Leb-kuch-chen, these little bites of heaven are a German Christmas tradition; a bit like gingerbread but softer & often in the cutest of shapes! We’ve taken this favourite treat one taste level further (obviously!) & blended with notes of salted caramel… pure Christmas bliss!

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Unfortunately I’m not getting any salted caramel (or caramel in general) notes in this. It’s a nice spiced tea, but that’s definitely not what I was expecting when I brewed it, so I was very disappointed.

Another tea that I think I added to my BYO Bird & Blend advent calendar that I had a chance to try a little bit early…

I didn’t realize this was more of a gingerbread profile than a caramel one, so that was a bit disappointing to me. I really was hoping for a stand out caramel tea; I’ve been hunting for one for what feels like years now and I never seem to land on something that really hits the mark. True to trend, this doesn’t really taste like salted caramel at all so it’s frustrating to me that it was made such a prominent part of the name/marketing. I get the tiniest baby hint of caramel in the finish so I think that it is there, as well as pleasant, but it does sort of feel like more of an after thought?

Now if we’re evaluating this tea as a gingerbread profile then it’s a lot more pleasant! It’s gingery but that sort of sweet and almost “reduced” feeling ginger that has depth and compliments the other cinnamon, molasses, and brown sugar type flavours going on. It’s got a bit of heat but is more warming than spicy, and I think it’s a nice level of sweetness as well. I do think the mouthfeel is a little thin, but as a gingerbread tea I enjoy this cuppa!

I wish I’d gone into this tea with the expectation of it being gingerbread – I think that would have really drastically changed my impression. I enjoyed the tea, but I really don’t know how I want to rate it since I feel like the name was deceptive for the profile. At least, when I get this in my advent, I’ll know what to expect from it!

Martin Bednář

Interesting that I had exactly same tea few hours before you and I noticed way more caramel notes and less of gingerbread. Maybe different mix in strainer? Who knows.

Roswell Strange

Totally possible – I had this in the form of one of the premeasured out sachets so I didn’t have control in my dose/portion, sadly.

Martin Bednář

Aww, then you can do nothing but trying to imagine that it could be better.

Dry aroma is so AWESOME! Full of cloves, gingerbread and subtle notes of caramel. Just right! I was like moved in time. One month ahead, few years back. Oh dear…
Anyway, I study in city well known for perník – aka Lebkuchen aka gingerbread. So, I know very well how it should taste like. The aroma is right for sure!

When brewed, the salted caramel notes are stronger. Maybe little bit of smokiness I detect? But it fills again whole living room.

Oh dear, a first sip! Liquid caramel and the gingerbread! It is so thick in taste as well! Quite salty, but it is salted caramel, so actually no surprise. But still, so wonderful! This will be my all time fav probably.

Spicy, yet mild. Sweet, but salty as well.
Great job B&B.

Song pairing: “Distant World by BSP” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW3fKEb4POc

Flavors: Caramel, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Salty, Smoke