Red Star 7581 Ripe Puer

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Smooth, Sweet, Butter, Fruity, Menthol, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by Laura B
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 oz / 133 ml

• “Puerh Tea TTB. This was a very nice ripe. I didn’t notice any bitterness although there was a fair amount of fermentation flavor that lasted four or five steeps. There was a sweet note to the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Drank this one Western at work; I feel like Bitterleaf really wants me to love this tea as they’ve sent it along as a freebie in my last two orders now. Thankfully, I definitely enjoyed it and if...” Read full tasting note
  • “Smell is earthy and sweet with no fermentation aroma. The liquor brews up a deep brownish red, with very little haziness to it. On the initial taste, there is an earthiness to it, but it’s like the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Decided to move onto pu after a failed oolong. Gave this one a wash and started sipping on the following steep. The wash water looked almost like it had a pink tint to it, and the first steep is a...” Read full tasting note

From Bitterleaf Teas

A classic cake from Zhong Cha, this 7581 cake is prime example of a ripe puer done well. The tea is very clean and direct, with no off flavours or fermentation taste – just a nice, lingering date-like sweetness and the right amount of earthiness.

With inconsistencies and impostors abound, well known labels from this period can often be a bit of a gamble, and the Zhong Cha 7581 has been as big a target as any. We promote this tea based on its most important characteristics – taste, cleanness and quality – rather than name and recipe. This tea was purchased directly from a Zhong Cha employee in 2006 and has been stored by the original owner in Kunming dry storage ever since.

About Bitterleaf Teas View company

Puerh Tea TTB. This was a very nice ripe. I didn’t notice any bitterness although there was a fair amount of fermentation flavor that lasted four or five steeps. There was a sweet note to the fermentation. It evolved into a different sweet note once the fermentation was history. Overall this was a very good brick.

I steeped this twelve times with 10.4g leaf in a 150ml gaiwan with boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 minutes. There were definitely a few more steeps in the leaves.

Boiling 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Drank this one Western at work;

I feel like Bitterleaf really wants me to love this tea as they’ve sent it along as a freebie in my last two orders now. Thankfully, I definitely enjoyed it and if this Western infusion was any indicator, I’ll probably like it a fair bit Gong Fu as well.

Just jot notes, ’cause like I said I was at work and such.

- Clean flavour; smooth taste and crisp non-lingering finish
- Hints of something fruity in the undertones (red fruits)
- Very earthy, but not overly damp/wet earth: more like clay?
- With honeyed date notes and cocoa

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkaMiaRLgvY&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ&index=1

Whoever puts together the radio set/playlists for the various music stations at DAVIDsTEA must really have a thing for British Indie bands ’cause one of the stations/playlists we frequent (there are eight, all with varying themes) is CONSTANTLY playing The Smiths/The Kooks/The Wombats, all of which are English.

mrmopar

7581’s are usually solid when stored right. I think they found the good ones.

Bitterleaf

We sent it as a free sample twice? Someone at BLT headquarters clearly dropped the ball…

Roswell Strange

It would have been an easy mix up; my latest order was from a completely different address since I recently moved! Besides, more tea meant more to share with coworkers, and I really liked it myself as well. No harm no foul!

Bitterleaf

Well I’m just glad it wasn’t something you hated… promise it’ll be something different next time!

On the initial taste, there is an earthiness to it, but it’s like the smell of soil after a fresh rainfall – not basementy, mushroomy or musty at all. Very clean taste with some sweetness and a hint of fruitiness under it all. Lasted quite a few steeps (I lost track) and I couldn’t make it bitter if I tried.

Overall impression: this is a very clean, mellow and smooth shou. Easy to drink, easy to recommend.

Flavors: Earth, Smooth, Sweet

10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Decided to move onto pu after a failed oolong. Gave this one a wash and started sipping on the following steep. The wash water looked almost like it had a pink tint to it, and the first steep is a deep red and starts off delicate and buttery with a hint of earth.

Second steep brings more buttered earth up front with a sweet finish. I enjoyed this all through the afternoon, to the point that I lost track of how long I went with it. This has a nice, consistent flavor and is very easy to drink. I would like to steep with more leaf next time.

Flavors: Butter, Earth, Smooth, Sweet

5 g

OMG! I’m caught up!!!

This was the 2nd shou of the day. I leafed this a little heavier than the other 8g at 212F. Same shibo setup. 10s rinse. 10s – sweet, fruity, earthy
15, 25s, 35s – menthol, sweet, thick
45s, 1min
I ran out of steam for this tea here. I mean I liked it, but I got a call and went out to eat with family, saw my brother off back to Colorado and didn’t pick it up when I got back.

I had a delayed reaction to this tea or the one before it, feeling floaty and disconnected. Also, my stomach is slightly upset and gassy. I may be overcaffinated too. I’m not too sleepy even though it’s way after midnight. Good thing I’m off tomorrow. Still reserving judgement on ripe.

Flavors: Earth, Fruity, Menthol, Sweet, Thick

Broke off a chunk of this and threw it in the gaiwan. What I noticed in the first steep (after a rinse) is how clean the flavor is initially. Granted the tea hasn’t properly broken up yet but it is a promising, smooth, clean start.

Second steep (10 sec) gives off more of that classic rain soaked earth scent with a cinnamon red color in the liquor. The flavor is still very clean with absolutely no hint of fermentation. The wife agrees with me. Very nice.

Third steep (15 seconds) and I might be slightly distracted from getting accurate smells and tasting notes as my wife is cooking gingerbread cookies and the smell wafting from the oven is intoxicating. Mmmm… Oh, right, tea. The color is darkening to a chestnut brown. The flavor is a classic ripe but very clean. I have a feeling this is going to be the norm for this tea. Classic and clean.

OMG I just got a sample of the finished gingerbread cookies nom nom nom. They actually pair very well with this tea. Not sure if it is the cozy joy of the season or the slight tea buzz coming on but happiness is abundant here in this moment and time.

Yes, I will end it here but for now, it is a very good, consistent, and fairly priced option. I appreciate the clean flavor it provides.

*Edit: Another hour or two later and this tea is still going strong. It is a bit lighter but I am on close to the 10th steep at about 90 seconds and it is still sweet, smooth, and very drinkable. Uptick in the rating.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML