Bonbon 2020 Bangdong Raw Puer

Bulk
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

1 Tasting Note View all

From Bitterleaf Teas

The name says it all. This Bangdong big-tree tea comes with big sweetness. Strong notes of honey are accompanied by a unique and intriguing fragrance, as well as a rolling mouth feel.

Often used as a stunt double for Xigui, Bangdong teas do an excellent job mimicking the fragrance and character of their pricey neighbor at a fraction of the price. This tea represents an excellent balance of cost and quality. For those who enjoyed our 2019 Pretty, Pretty, Pretty Good, then this is the closest thing we have to a follow up for 2020.

Picking period: Pre-April 20

About Bitterleaf Teas View company

1 Tasting Note

Gongfu!

Couldn’t wait & decided to steep up one of the dragonballs from my BLT spring pue’rh haul; this one is “Bonbon”, a Bangdong sheng!! The description of this tea really spoke to me, and I was very tempted to blindly go in on a cake of it but logic brain prevailed and I decided to sample first – I agree with BLT’s description of it being quite sweet & honey like in terms of flavour. It’s also a little floral, and has a slight lemon rind pithy bitterness as well. Based on this tea session I’m unsure if blind caking would have been the right choice for me; seems more sampling is necessary to decide…

Still have one more dragonball to try before I make that decision.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCmS_yxAitZ/

You can see the wrapper in the second photo; it’s really cute and I like how it ties into the name/visually differentiates from the rest of the dragonballs. Slightly concerned that the cake wrapped is the same material though; doesn’t seem like it would be great for long term storage/aging…

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdESnyFQDgg