Monkey Chops

Black Fruit Herbal Blend
banana, Vanilla, Cream, Creamy, Banana
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

• “Backlog from Sunday. I’m beginning to rather like banana teas, so I’m pleased to have another one to try. I think this is one of the last teas left from my first Bluebird order, so it’s past time I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Uh-oh. My cupboard is suddenly up around 115 teas now! I went outside looking for my $5 Verdant sampler and found my order from Bluebird Tea (my last since I joined the ordering hiatus group) and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Oops! Mustn’t forget the queue! Scheherazade shared some of this with me, and it has taken me almost the entire bag to work out what I think about it. I don’t think I’ve ever had a banana flavoured...” Read full tasting note
  • “I have been putting off reviewing this tea because I am in two minds about it. The banana is on the delicate side and I find that the black tea dominates it much more than I would like. On the...” Read full tasting note

From Bluebird Tea Co.

This banana tea is smooth, creamy + simply the chops

Ceylon Black Tea, Vanilla, Calendula, Banana

‘Monkey Chops’ is an affectionate title, only to be bestowed upon the cheeky and the zany. Fitting, as this tea is Bananas… B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Some of our crazy blends (banana!) split the panel but this one has been a resounding hit all-round! Smooth, creamy and totally bananary..it’s simply the chops!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

This is a really nice banana flavoured black tea that avoids the traps of
tasting artificial or overly sweet. Throughout the cup it tasted of green fresh bananas, a banana smoothy and a good quality banana muffin. It’s really tasty, but still lets the qualities of it’s base shine through. Thoroughly enjoyable.

A more thorough discussion of this tea is below.

The dry leaf is black and wiry with pieces of fruit and some pieces of calendula petals. It smells lightly fruity, but not of distinct banana, and has an almost chocolate like smell.

I steeped this tea for around 3 minutes.

Brewed tea is a copper colour.

There is a scent of chocolate, a slightly savoury spice like rosemary from the calendula, and dried banana.

At first sip there is a taste close to slightly green fresh bananas, or the flavour of a banana smoothy, or good quality fresh banana chips. It is not artificial tasting and not overly sweet. The tea base is smooth, sweet, with a faintly vegetal undertone melding into a taste of a semi-sweet chocolate. The calendula lends a brightness and a spicy taste to the tea and makes it taste like fresh banana. The tea has just enough tannin to give it some body. It leaves a slightly drying feeling in the mouth but is not overly astringent. The flavour compliments and blends well with the tea but does not overpower it. There is a hint of raisin and biscuit in the base. It tastes a little bit like really nice banana muffins towards the end of the cup.

The re-steep has an indistinct sweet baked good flavour with a hint of floral, and chocolate. Pleasant but not really banana. The base looses its astringency.

Tasty.

Tea #33 from the Here’s Hoping TTB

I’m really enjoying trying the teas from Bluebird in the box, they’re a company I’ve wanted to try out for awhile now, but still haven’t managed to place an order with. I doubt I would have chosen to order this one anyway, banana tea just isn’t really my thing, but this tea is really starting to grow on me. I didn’t start off caring for it, but halfway through the cup I decided it wasn’t bad at all. There is quite a bit of banana flavor in this cup, but it is softened by the vanilla, it also doesn’t hide the flavor from the base, which still manages to peak through.

Not a tea I would order again, but one I certainly did enjoy trying it. I will say that my toddler loved it, he snuck the other half of my cup while I wasn’t looking, so perhaps this will be a reorder at some point after all.

From my order during the boxing day sale. This has been a solid member of the Bluebird teas collection since I can remember and I thought I’d give it a try. I see banana bits and calendula petals in the blend. Overall, there is a light banana flavor which is great, a little creaminess. The ingredients lists vanilla but I don’t really notice that. I could swear that calendula petals create a creamy flavor though, or else calendula is always in these types of teas that have that additional flavor (pancake, etc). Otherwise, the Ceylon is a little boring to me as Ceylon usually is. But if there is some banana and a little creaminess here, I’m fine with that.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons // few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 min

While I’m not actually the biggest fan of fresh bananas, I do love me a loaf of banana bread and have really enjoyed a handful of banana-flavored teas that I’ve tried: Butiki’s Hello Sweetie and A Quarter to Tea’s Banana Nut Pancakes stand out in my memory. This one is okay, but definitely not a standout. The base tea is very smooth and mild, playing a supporting role to the slightly artificial banana and vanilla flavoring. Nice, but forgettable.

Flavors: banana, Vanilla

When I ordered a bunch of holiday teas from Bluebird earlier this year, I included a note that I would love to try any of the banana teas that the company offered. Thanks, Bluebird! I received a sample of two banana teas with my order. First up is Monkey Chops.

Monkey Chops has a ceylon black tea base with added vanilla flavoring and banana pieces. I’m a fan of banana in all its forms, the actual fruit, flavored candy, spiced banana bread, creamy banana desserts, etc. and I have to say, this tea actually does taste like bananas-and-cream black tea! Even without milk, the brew has plenty of creamy notes and smooth banana flavor. I’d love to upgrade my sample to a full bag next time and try out all kinds of lattes and desserts with this tea. Banana isn’t a flavor you see in teas everyday, and with a name like Monkey Chops, how can you resist?

Flavors: banana, Cream, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C

I had a cup of this yesterday morning and it has grown on me tremendously. I think I have enough for one more cuppa in my sample pack, but I will definitely be reordering this blend in the coming months. It’s a nice black tea with subtle, slightly sweet banana flavor. It’s another one of Bluebird Tea Co’s blends that only improve the more I drink it. Very impressed.

Great news! I fell down the stairs getting off the bus today! My shoulder and back definitely feel like they’re going to be massively messed up tomorrow! I am so grateful I still have a stash of the Canadian back pain pills you can’t seem to get from pharmacies anywhere else!

THANK YOU CANADA FOR RECOGNISING YOU TOTALLY DON’T NEED A PRESCRIPTION TO NEED THE HECK OUTTA ROBAXACET PLATINUM plus I am so tired right now (falling down the stairs getting off the bus probably didn’t help) that I crawled under my desk for a few minutes to see if it would be a good place to nap.

In other news, the pile of Things I Need To Write seems to continue to grow exponentially, and in my current state of being, I have no confidence whatsoever and may have to chop a longish opinion piece down to like 300 words and some quotes from people whose opinions are more important than mine. Ugh. The life of an almost-not-paid-at-all journalista on her quest to, I dunno, get invited to the same parties as Peter Capaldi? Getting paid would be nice, too.

Oh yeah, tea. I was SO nervous about trying a banana thing, because when banana is done badly, it’s massively unpleasant. The last thing anyone wants is to take a sip of something that, it turns out, is a dead ringer for that banana medicine they give you for ear infections and stuff when you’re a kid. Or any kind of readymade banana milkshake. That’s that kind of fake flavour that I think I actually only acknowledge as banana because that’s what I’m told it’s supposed to taste like, rather than bearing any meaningful resemblance to my very favourite source of potassium. NO.

Not so with Monkey Chops. It’s subtle, which is definitely for the best, and really didn’t make a massively banana impression on me until a few sips in. The mouthfeel is creamy with a dash of sugar and skimmed milk, and the soft baked banana flavour is more reminiscent of banana bread than anything else, with lovely bread/cake notes and enough tea-ness that you don’t forget you’re drinking tea. And I do love banana bread. So this is good. I’m very glad I tried this one.

keychange

Oh no! I can relate to wanting to crawl under the desk to knap, but am so so sorry you fell off the friggin bus! my goodness.

Fjellrev

Oh geez! Well, glad my country can help you out but damn those stairs.

You can totally pull off all that work. Yes, you can, yo.

And you make me even more stoked about this tea.

Holy bananas n cream in my cup! This blend is fantastic. I’ve been searching for a great banana tea and I think this maybe it. All the flavors mix well with the black tea.

Yum!!

part of the Cooking TTB

Flavors: banana, Creamy

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
EmilyGee

Ooohh banana cream sounds amazing O_o !

Ost

Mmmm!

Mmm banana tea that actually tastes like banana!! No artificialness and tastes subtly like a banana milkshake if you add milk. Yum!!

Flavors: Banana

Thank you Amariel for sending this my way but unfortunately I am just not enjoying this as much as I hoped I would. I am finding it really quite bland in comparison to other banana teas I have had in the past while simultaneously finding it rather thick as well. I just find myself wanting more rich flavours and less dense base. I have about 1 cup worth of leaf left so perhaps with some tweaking, I will be able to get more from this tea but for now, I am pretty underwhelmed. Oh we’ll, can’t love them all. Nonetheless, I am grateful for the chance to try it out.