Gingerbread Chai

Chai Rooibos Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Flavor, Ginger, Mallow Flowers, Red Rooibos
Cardamon, Cookie, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cream, Marshmallow, Nutty, Vanilla, Caramel, Rooibos
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 368 ml

Available from 1 seller.

4 Images

• “Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It...” Read full tasting note
  • “I wasn’t expecting much from this one because rooibos, but it somehow became a family favourite. My sister and mother both asked where this tea came from and when I could pick up more, which never...” Read full tasting note
  • “I needed something festive to help me feel the spirit of the season, and I needed something decaf to help keep my blood pressure and anxiety at a minimum throughout the holiday blitz. Throughout...” Read full tasting note
  • “Inspired by a Nordic city that builds lifesize gingerbread every year, this blend is full of the caramelised flavours of rooibos and carries the warming tang of ginger. The other ingredients aren’t...” Read full tasting note

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Award-winning, spiced gingerbread chai tea.
We have our Nordic neighbours to thank for the tradition of Christmas gingerbread. Every year the town of Bergen, Norway still build a lifesize gingerbread city to celebrate Christmas. What a nightmare for poor old Hansel and Gretel! Let’s hope they are keeping a low profile and enjoying a steaming cup of our Gingerbread Chai instead!
Ingredients: rooibos, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, mallow flowers.
Warning: May contain traces of nuts

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It seems odd to be pleased about that, because I do love this tea. It’s the best gingerbread tea I’ve tried, with a good kick of spice and delicious “Jamaica ginger cake-esque” cake flavour. A real treat. I think the novelty has worn off for the moment, though, and I could do with a rest from this one. As it’s now nearly summer (sort of, anyway), I guess that makes sense! Hopefully I’ll come back to this one refreshed at the end of the year, but for now it’s almost goodbye.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I wasn’t expecting much from this one because rooibos, but it somehow became a family favourite. My sister and mother both asked where this tea came from and when I could pick up more, which never happens; usually everyone’s on my case about too much tea!

Cardamom and ginger are the main spices (they actually give off a bit of real fire!), with a slightly sweet appeal. Needless to say, it tastes good in milk.

So that’s a winner, Bluebird Tea Co!

Flavors: Cardamon, Cookie, Ginger

Nattie

My family like this a whole lot more than I do, too!

tea-sipper

Yay, more Bluebird fans! I love this one too.

I needed something festive to help me feel the spirit of the season, and I needed something decaf to help keep my blood pressure and anxiety at a minimum throughout the holiday blitz. Throughout this winter season, I’ve been brewing Gingerbread Chai from Bluebird. This rooibos chai has many of the usual spice suspects: ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon. The cinnamon is the most prominent flavor, and I found myself wanting more of a ginger bite to make for a spicier chai. This tea is smooth and warming, with the baked-good quality of cardamom and cinnamon. Most notably, this tea also has mallow blossoms mixed in, which make for a unique visual style and which bring a certain floral, marshmallow sweetness to the tea. Now that I’ve survived the holidays, and everything is settling down, I am getting towards the end of this bag of tea. All things considered, Gingerbread Chai has served me well and I’ll keep an eye out for it next season.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cream, Ginger, Marshmallow, Nutty, Vanilla

Inspired by a Nordic city that builds lifesize gingerbread every year, this blend is full of the caramelised flavours of rooibos and carries the warming tang of ginger. The other ingredients aren’t obvious, but if you leave to steep for over 4 minutes the ginger becomes stronger and increases the spicy peppery element.

A little disappointing, especially as Bluebird blends are generally really tasty! Wouldn’t recommend, but only because I have recently tried better Gingerbread Rooibos (Kettleshed)

Flavors: Caramel, Ginger, Rooibos

The resulting tea bares a sweet toasted Rooibos scent with spicy ginger and cinnamon undertones. It sort of does resemble a ginger biscuit (and those are my favourite!).

A few sips and I’m unsure what to write about first. While I can taste the sweetness from the Rooibos it’s also warming and fiery from the ginger. It’s almost deceiving at first, just as you think ‘Oohh it’s just another sweet Rooibos blend’ it grabs hold of you and intensifies in the back of the throat. All of this while mellowing into a ginger biscuit after taste with a hint of cardamom and cinnamon.Power and complexity is certain and this is not a blend for the faint-hearted.

As it cools slightly the sweetness relaxes and the spices come forward a little more. The balance of ginger, cardamom and cinnamon make it exotic and chai aromatic but the unmistakable ginger biscuit likeness lingers in my mind.

This was a free sample with the Bluebird order, in a pyramid teabag. This was one I didn’t manage to try yet, so here goes. The scent is super spicy! There are notes of frosting in both the fragrance and flavor, I swear… a frosting you might see on a gingerbread cookie. I’m beginning to see some sort of sweet note in a tea blend whenever there are mallow blossoms, so that is my theory. The flavor is very spicy, just like a gingerbread cookie (almost too flavorful — I definitely wouldn’t steep more than one teaspoon at a time!) It’s such a satisfying late cold night cup. Spicy with a hint of sweetness. And I’m not a ginger fan AT ALL. The second steep is slightly less spicy than the first cup, though still very spicy, with more of that cookie icing peeking through! I’m surprised by this blend and how much I like it, though I really shouldn’t be. This is a Bluebird blend. And they are awesome. I coulda, shoulda bought some of this one! But that probably applies to all of the Bluebird blends.
Steep #1 // couple minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4-5 minute steep

I actually decided to try this on an evening when I had quite a buggy belly – not sure if it was a bug or something disagreed with me at dinner, but I was feeling FIERCELY unwell. It was like an alien was trying to claw its way out of my tum tum. Awful.

Thus, functioning on the premise that, of course, ginger calms a tumultuous tum, I decided to brew up a cup of this for my evening drink.

It has the bonus of being caffeine-free, which I’m sure was the right decision, all things considered. I’m always a teensy bit weary of rooibos teas as I have to be in a very specific mood to fancy anything that tastes mostly like rooibos. As this is a spiced tea, though, I expected it would likely sit quietly in the background and let the gingerbread shine. And I was right, hooray! It’s got all the warmth and comfort of a lovely gingerbread, and the rooibos is present but quietly so. This is most certainly the nicest gingerbread-flavoured hot drink I’ve had the pleasure of drinking. Well done, Bluebirds!

Shae

I hope you’re feeling better! That sounds rough . . .

Lovely scent and taste. Not too ginger-y but like a nice gingerbread cookie taste. I was glad the rooibos wasn’t too woodsy and allowed the gingerbread to really shine. This tea tasted good even after I poured the cup and left it in the kitchen for 2 hours. I drank it room temperature and it was fine. Sometimes rooibos teas can get too strong when they sit too long but this was good. I drank the next one hot and it was even more satisfying. The tea wasn’t very chai but that was really no problem for me.

Thanks NayLynn and Brandon for this tea.

Another sample from the kind Naylynn. Thank you!

Helloooooo, ginger! This chai is missing the “bread” part of gingerbread, but it has the ginger part down pat. The heat settles in the back of my throat which is nice. There is also a woody note from the rooibos, and I must admit that I like it with the spice. The combination is earthy and comforting.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Wow, this is not my thing. I like the idea but the red rooibos kills it for me. it has that medicinal cough syrup taste all over the base. Also, while this is super gingery, it is too fruity to be a chai I like. Thanks for letting me try it, NayLynn!