Christmas Cake

Almond, Ceylon Black Tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Orange Peel, Vanilla Pieces
Cake, Orange, Spices, Vanilla, Alcohol, Almond, Cinnamon, Marzipan, Bitter, Citrus, Pine, Tea, Creamy, Clove, Sweet
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by TastetheTea

2 Images

• “100% spice cake, maybe with a hint of dried fruit in there, the kind that goes with those uber-heavy Christmas cakes. It’s a bit surprising how accurate the flavoring is, down to the breadiness of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, I’m still alive. I was so sick over Christmas, with proper fully-signed-up flu. I had 10 days off work, which I’d been looking forward to all year, and I spent most of them either in bed or...” Read full tasting note
  • “I just HAD to try this one today anyway, for Christmas! The Bluebird minty tea today made my headache disappear! thanks so much for both of them, KittyLovesTea! :D The ingredients sounded so...” Read full tasting note
  • “Here’s Hoping TTB Ooo, I like this one! Like the last Bluebird tea I sampled, this one has a beautiful dry leaf with cute little sprinkles…but this one brews up GLITTERY! A total gimmick, but still...” Read full tasting note

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Our fave Christmas brew is back, combining our three favourite things: tea, cake and Christmas!

Holding its own for the title of best Christmas tea of all time, this blend tastes like cake, contains real life actual Christmas tree (spruce needles!) and, as if that wasn’t enough, it has little candy snowflakes. Still not impressed? Well brew it up and watch it glitter like icicles!

Ceylon black tea, vanilla pieces, almond pieces, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, spruce needles, snowflake sprinkles, flavour.

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100° water, 4 mins, with or without milk.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

100% spice cake, maybe with a hint of dried fruit in there, the kind that goes with those uber-heavy Christmas cakes. It’s a bit surprising how accurate the flavoring is, down to the breadiness of the taste (although missing in the mouthfeel). While spice cake has always been something I’ve kinda avoided, this does remind me of a spiced ginger cake my Mom would whip up at Christmas, saying it was a Dutch delicacy that we had to try. Yep, it’s pretty bang-on for that.

Thank you KittyLovesTea for this perfect 2-cup sample!

JustJames

i am one of those whackos that loves xmas cake….. this is going MY list!!!!

MissB

Oh, I’ll send you the cup or so I have left! It’s already off their website, sadly, until next year (maybe?)

JustJames

how do i consistently set myself up for this? no no, you gave this 100. you finish it. enjoy. you are just as sleep deprived as i am. it’s a lovely thought though.

MissB

I gave it 100? No, I gave it a 79. It’s easy enough to put it in an envelope for next time – and you know as well as I do, I have too much tea! :P

JustJames

oh…. i really need sleep. i saw the 100% fruit cake. geez…..

Anna

…you mean spice cake. JJ, GET SOME SLEEP!

Suziqzer

It’s alright JJ.. I saw fruitcake too (& I’m not a fan). I think maybe because she said spice cake with a hint of fruit… My mind turned that to fruitcake. :)

Well, I’m still alive. I was so sick over Christmas, with proper fully-signed-up flu. I had 10 days off work, which I’d been looking forward to all year, and I spent most of them either in bed or staggering around the house like a zombie looking for tissues and more medicine. I think I only drank one “proper” tea – this, which I took with me in my timolino on the one day I did feel well enough to venture out. It was a very sorry state of affairs. Now I’m back at work (of course I’d be well enough in time, because that’s how it works), not feeling very rested, but at least I can make up for some lost time in tea terms.

I started the morning with another cup of this one. My pouch is actually from the year before last (2014), but it hadn’t been opened before December this year so it was still fine. I’m really enjoying this one as a Christmas Cake tea. It’s got strong dried fruit flavours, a touch of nutmeg spiciness, and a good dose of vanilla to sweeten things up and add a deliciously creamy overtone. I adore the snowflake sprinkles even though they stick fast to the bottom of my infuser, and the glitter adds a little festive sparkle too. The pine needles are an inspired touch – this really is the best of Christmas in a cup. All the better for those of us who feel like they didn’t really have a Christmas this year, I guess! Maybe next year.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
teaqueen

I’m glad you’re feeling better. The flu is the worst and its timing is always impeccable… for messing up fun plans.

Christina / BooksandTea

That sounds awful. I’m glad that you’re on the mend. (Impeccable timing regarding your holiday, huh?)

tigress_al

Glad you are feeling better!

__Morgana__

Glad you’re better!

The ingredients sounded so lovely, yet so weird…. and there is GLITTER. I’m not sure it is edible, but I’m going to ignore that! haha. But pine needles! Almonds and vanilla too! One and a half teaspoons of this was steeped right after boiling for three minutes. There was some glitter floating around in the mug! I don’t love Bluebird’s Ceylon base but the ingredients here together are so delicious. It does taste like cake a bit. It must be the almonds, vanilla and the sugary sweetness from the snowflake sprinkles (and apparently stevia, though it doesn’t taste like stevia). Unfortunately, there isn’t any flavor from the pine needles, which I was looking forward to even though it wouldn’t seem very cake like. The cinnamon is strong and spicy! Hints of orange. I really love this blend. i’d definitely order it, especially if the black tea base was different.

ETA: (I just realized this might sound like ‘Estimated time of arrival’ but I mean ‘Edited to add’!) I just steeped a second cup of this with standing-there-for-the-water-to-finish-boiling type of steeping. It steeped for four minutes and the taste is VERY cinnamon now! Not as much as Harney’s sunset though. So so good. I kind of wish Bluebird could change this so it wasn’t a seasonal tea and they could sell it all year long.

Here’s Hoping TTB

Ooo, I like this one! Like the last Bluebird tea I sampled, this one has a beautiful dry leaf with cute little sprinkles…but this one brews up GLITTERY! A total gimmick, but still fun. And the flavor was surprisingly complex: vanilla, spice cake (I actually got a cake flavor, not just spices), and orange peel predominating.

Flavors: Cake, Orange, Spices, Vanilla

I was enchanted to try this tea due to its lovely snowflake sprinkles and the festive name. I was craving something warm and sweet and spicy to put me in the holiday spirit. This tea had all the winning pieces in the ingredients lists, cloves, orange peel, almond and vanilla, even spruce needles!

When I opened the bag of this loose leaf, I was a little surprised when I was hit with a strong waft of almond liqueur and amaretto. I suppose I was imagining more of a “coffee” Christmas cake for this flavor, with a focus on cinnamon and spice. Instead, this tea is definitely meant to emulate the alcohol-heavy fruitcakes of the season. When brewed, the liqueur flavor becomes more subdued, and notes of vanilla and marzipan come forward. The cloves, orange, and spruce are very minimal.

This blend has grown on me the more I’ve brewed it— now that I’m in the mindset and mood for a gently-spiced amaretto brew. It’s definitely unique, I haven’t had another tea quite like it! Christmas Cake is perfectly festive for this time of year in look and flavor, and it’s a limited edition blend, so it’s worth a try before the season changes.

Flavors: Alcohol, Almond, Cake, Cinnamon, Marzipan

2068 tasting notes

Oh God, why does this smell like pickles today? Why? I don’t even have pickles in the house!
Its, well, I can’t say I’m loving this. Or possibly even liking it. It tastes like a spicy….pickle? Come on, whats with that? Argh!
Eeeeh, this is a first from my cupboard….

Fjellrev

I’ve had spicy blends go vinegary and pickle-like in the past.

Dustin

That is really weird!

A creamy smell enhanced by the vanilla, is lightly transferred into the taste, giving the blend a faint sweetness. There’s also faint hints of pepper, citric spices and pine, but the predominant note is a bitter tang of tea. All the points of originality for the spruce needles. Less points for the actual flavour.

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus, Pine, Spices, Tea, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Steepsterites! I hope your day is full of warm spice, comfort sweets, and citrus zing like this particular tea, regardless of whether you celebrate or not!

tea-sipper

Sipping Bluebird’s Mocha Chai right now. :D

__Morgana__

Same to you, CK!

Sometimes you feel yourself sinking into the earth and no amount of effort can free you.
That is just how it is in life. Nothing can be done to change it. Alas. Sorry for my absence.

I had this within the last 2 months. Apologies if my memory of it is not the sharpest. I know that I really enjoyed it. I know it had a beautiful creamy flavour. It really brought Christmas to my mind and I was sorrowed to only have one cup worth of this delight. Someday I will be able to order this and more from Bluebird, but it will not be anytime soon. If you have access to it though I definitely recommend it for you.

Flavors: Creamy

1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

FUN FACT: My mother, bless her radiant heart, makes the very best Christmas cake in the whole world.

(Yeah, I know, everybody thinks their mum makes the best Christmas cake, but by Gosh, I mean it.)

It’s warm with spice, dotted heavily with dried fruits and citrus peel, and topped not with heavy icing, but thin slices of almond. A festival of textures and flavours sitting together in perfect harmony.

Just like this tea, in that respect. I was expecting something really quite full-on with cloves and evergreen (there’s spruce needles among the leaves, how cool is that!) but it’s really quite balanced: an undercurrent of dried fruit is elevated with warm clove and softly buzzing cinnamon, enveloped in soft, cakelike notes of caramel and almond. What a jolly comforting brew for a drizzly evening. I’m so glad to have the chance to try it. Thanks, Bluebirds!