Turmeric Matcha

Matcha Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Scheherazade

1 Tasting Note View all

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Product description not available yet.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

1 Tasting Note

086/365

I bought this one largely so that I could make golden milk, because it’s probably not something I’m going to drink straight, if I’m honest! Given that it’s supposed to be good for colds/sore throats/general under-the-weatherness, I gave it a go pretty much as soon as I got home last night.

I went with Bluebird’s recipe, and used 300ml coconut milk, 1 tsp. of honey, and 1/2 tsp. of matcha. I added a sprinkle of cinnamon for pretties, and also because I was being reminded of curry quite a bit, and I wanted something sweet to cut through that.

In actual fact, I needn’t have worried. The coconut milk is pretty sweet on its own, and overpowers any lingering savoury notes from the turmeric. There’s really nothing curry-like about golden milk, except the colour (and the scent, while under construction!) It’s super creamy, although the milk is obviously contributing that – there’s nothing creamy about this particular matcha otherwise.

Taste wise, it’s predominantly coconut. There’s an additional sweetness from the honey, and a touch of spice from the cinnamon. The turmeric doesn’t play much of a contributing role in the flavour, and neither does the rooibos base of the matcha. There is a chilli-like heat that lingers in the aftertaste, and I have to assume that comes from the matcha. It makes for a pleasant counterpoint to all the sweet creaminess, and my throat certainly approves.

I appreciate that I’ve not really done the matcha justice by drowning it in coconut milk, and I can’t really comment much on what it’s like in its own right. What I do know is that it was easy to whisk up, stayed in suspension, and would likely be much more savoury brewed differently. I also know that golden milk is delicious! It could well be a new winter staple for me.