Pear & Jasmine Candies

Green Tea
Anise, Candy, Pear, Floral, Jasmine, Spinach, Vegetal
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas

• “This was the big surprise of the final Butiki batch for me – I love it! So much of it, particularly for me, shouldn’t work… but it just does! First off, the base is a green, which is typically my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks for another Butiki tea I get to try, Greenteafairy! This one might be a little too old to judge fairly. I know I love this green tea base, as I’ve has it before, and it is certainly still...” Read full tasting note
  • “Butiki sipdown! I wasn’t a huge fan of this one, actually. The pear tasted very artificial. Hot brewed, it was just unpleasant. But, this made for a decent cold brew. The artificial-ness was...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one I didn’t care for. The pear tasted artificial to me, and it didn’t go particularly well with the green base, which I found quite vegetal. I didn’t get much star anise, unless I’m very much...” Read full tasting note

From Butiki Teas

The gentle natural jasmine flavors of the Taiwanese Bi Luo Chun are amplified by real jasmine flowers while still remaining gentle. This tea is not overly floral. The pear flavor is complimented by star anise. This tea is refreshing and perfect for reflecting. Adding a little bit of sugar will create a flavor similar to a pear hard candy.

Ingredients: Taiwanese Bi Luo Chun (Taiwanese Green Tea), Jasmine Flowers, Organic Star Anise, Organic Natural Flavors (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 level teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 175 F

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

This was the big surprise of the final Butiki batch for me – I love it! So much of it, particularly for me, shouldn’t work… but it just does! First off, the base is a green, which is typically my least favourite, and on top of that it has anise, which, as a licorice-hater, I’m also not a big fan of. But somehow when combined with the pear and jasmine flavours this tea just really works for me! It’s even more surprising given that it doesn’t seem to be too popular with other Steepsterites. But that’s okay, more for me! Or there would be if this were still available…

The dry leaf of this tea is absolutely gorgeous. Butiki blends tend to be visually stunning, but this one more than most. There are whole jasmine flowers dispersed throughout the leaf, and whole pieces of star anise which, though I’m not usually a fan of flavour-wise, are pretty gorgeous to look at. Many reviewers have commented that they found the anise to be overpowering, but this wasn’t the case for me. The bi luo chun, pear, jasmine and anise notes are all pretty harmonious in my cup and none are overwhelming or jarring. This is a very relaxing cup of tea! It’s subtle in the right way; I think if the notes were stronger they would become overpowering and become more of a punch in the face, but it’s not lacking in flavour like I found the Irish Cream Butter Crisps to be. Perhaps the trick with this one was leaving it to mature for a couple of years until the flavours mellowed out! As usual I added a little under half a teaspoon of sugar, which, as Stacy said it would, really created a pear drop sweets kind of feel. Only this one is mature and better for you. The Jasmine notes are soft and natural – I suspect they come from the added flowers rather than additional flavourings – and add a sophisticated twist to something which otherwise could have been too sweet and fruity. The anise is mellow, too, and doesn’t remind me of licorice as much as peking duck (that sounds totally negative but it wasn’t meant to). Perhaps what I should have said is that it reminds me of five spice, in that the anise is more natural and ever so slightly on the savoury side, so that it pairs well with the green tea base. The pear note does not come across as artificial to me, or at least not in a bad way. It’s definitely reminiscent of sweets more than the fruit itself, but it comes across to me as deliberate, and the word ‘artificial’ to me conjures up (gustatory) images of plastic, chemical-tasting sting-your-mouth disgustingness, which this doesn’t have.

Of all the Butiki teas I bought in their closing down tea-blending frenzy, I knew there would be some gems I would struggle to part with, I’m just a little surprised to find that this is one of them! I’m relieved I picked some of it up, because I was umming and ahhing over whether to get any at all, but now I wish I has more than my measly half an ounce. Oh well, hindsight is a wonderful thing! I shall enjoy this while I have it, and savour as much as I can.

Thanks for another Butiki tea I get to try, Greenteafairy! This one might be a little too old to judge fairly. I know I love this green tea base, as I’ve has it before, and it is certainly still delicious. Despite plenty of jasmine flowers, I’m not tasting much jasmine or pear. That’s too bad. Including the anise in this blend is a puzzle, as I think it would showcase the jasmine and pear better without the anise. But then again, I’ve never had jasmine pear candies, so maybe the anise should be there.
Steep #1 // 2 tsps // 30 minutes after boiling // 2-3 min steep
Steep #2 // 25 minutes a.b. // 3 min

Butiki sipdown! I wasn’t a huge fan of this one, actually. The pear tasted very artificial. Hot brewed, it was just unpleasant. But, this made for a decent cold brew. The artificial-ness was toned down and the candy sweetness was more palatable. Basically it tasted like liquid pear and jasmine hard candies, which is gross in a hot tea but decent in an iced tea on a hot day.

This one I didn’t care for. The pear tasted artificial to me, and it didn’t go particularly well with the green base, which I found quite vegetal. I didn’t get much star anise, unless I’m very much mistaken about what star anise tastes like, but I did get a weird taste that reminded me of play-dough more than anything else. I still have a little bit of this one left; if anyone wants I’m happy to hand it off.

Anise. All I am getting is anise. No pear. No jasmine. No candies. Just anise. The power of hate….when you don’t like something, it seems to be the only thing you can taste. Nonetheless, I am grateful for the sample so thank you Kittenna for passing on a bit.

rosebudmelissa

I really like anise, but it doesn’t sound like it would work well with pear and jasmine

Stephanie

I dislike anise as well VariaTEA

VariaTEA

@rosebudmelissa – I personally didn’t like this because of the anise but in spite of that, it seemed like someone who enjoys anise would be pleased with it.

@Stephanie – I’m glad I’m not the only one. It seems like its one of those love it or hate it flavors and I have obviously fallen on the hate side of things.

rosebudmelissa

I would say that I’ll put it on my list of things to try, but with Butiki closing I’ll probably never get the chance.

Roswell Strange

As someone who enjoys anise, I personally thought it was too strong as well. Just for the record ;)

VariaTEA

I cut the steeping time down, as per Kittenna’s suggestion which I think may have helped reign in some of the anise but still, it was not for me.

It looks like this month is going to be devoted to Butiki teas that are still in stock so that I can determine what to hoard stock up on while the gettin’s good. Apologies to all the other wonderful tea companies I’ve ordered from in the last few months – it’s nothing personal! I’ll get around to your wares after the closing-up-shop frenzy is over.

This is probably my favorite of the flavored teas Stacy’s released after she made her closing announcement. The dry leaf has lovely little jasmine flowers scattered throughout and smells exactly like its name. I haven’t had the best luck with Butiki greens, including the Taiwanese bi luo chun, so I was slightly apprehensive about how the base would work out for me. Turns out I had nothing to worry about – the infusion was delicate but well-flavored with a dominant pear-candy note and a pleasant lingering aftertaste of star anise. It was perfectly drinkable without sweetener, but adding my usual squeeze of agave drew the flavors out a bit more. A very nice tea if you like pear drops and licorice like I do!

Flavors: Anise, Candy, Pear

Not much longer to go on the bus!

I split a pouch of this one with Kittenna in a shared Butiki order. Even though the flavourings all sound wonderful to me, the base has me wary; I do not like green tea and even though I’m generally viewed Stacy’s flavoured greens more favorably than other companies I’m still hesitant.

I cold brewed most of my half; I tend to really enjoy cold brewed pear flavours, and I like iced tea with jasmine as well so I thought it’d suit my tastes really well. Wow, the anise flavour is definitely a little stronger than I was expecting. I like it; but it’s bold. Anise is tricky though; it’s a strong flavour that people tend to feel rather polar about.

And even though the anise in this is dominant, I can still taste both pear and jasmine! The jasmine in particular is well done; sweet and fragrant without tasting like the perfume lady at The Bay just spritzed you right in the face. The base is actually nice; it has a light spinach taste that I find pleasant, and it works well with the flavouring. I know Stacy is pretty well done blending now, but a version of this one without the anise would be really interesting. I just personally thought that since both pear and jasmine are in the title they’d be a little stronger and more of the focus of the tea.

Overall I did like this one though, even though it wasn’t quite what I expected! It reminds me a lot of Camellia Sinensis’ Peking Opera blend which is also Pear/Anise but on a white base. Of the two I think I like Peking Opera better, but mostly because of the base it uses and my personal preferences. It’s nice to have something comparable to drink since this is no longer available for purchase even if I did want to get more of it.

Flavors: Anise, Floral, Jasmine, Pear, Spinach, Vegetal

tantonino

What’s your process for cold brewing?

Butiki Teas

I wonder if the anise being strong was because it was cold brewed. We didn’t use any anise flavoring, so it was just from the pieces of the star. I never tried this one cold, so I’m not sure.

Roswell Strange

All my cold brews are done in a 25 oz. during the day while I’m working; I use at least double the recommended leaf, but if it’s a milder tasting tea quite often I triple the leaf recommendation/leaf I would use for a hot cup. My cold brews all get approx. 10 hour steeps, occasionally a few hours less or more (my routine is to pour out the day’s cold brew into a thermos for work, clean out the mason jar and immediately start steeping a new tea – which then gets strained shortly after I get home from work. That works out to roughly 10 hours factoring in travel time for work.

**My routine…

Roswell Strange

Also, I’ve finished this tea off now Stacy (just haven’t written the note yet); I did the last cup hot and I have to say that while the flavours were far more balanced the anise was still really, really strong.

Heh – entertainingly, like Kittenna, I was a little confused by the lack of notes for this tea and planned to pop this one up to see what would happen.

I wanted some of this tea last night, but it got too late so I postponed until today. And, in the aftermath of Liverpool’s humiliation at the hands of United, I feel the need to keep distracted…

I really liked this tea, and could definitely get the pear sweets flavour – it definitely isn’t a fresh fruit pear taste, though. It’s infinitely more akin to pear drop sweets (a classic of pick’n’mixes), but I guess the name implied that anyway! There was a little jasmine undertone, but the pear-drop flavour was deffo dominant for me!

Not, of course, that this was a problem. It’s exactly what I expected and, in many ways, it’s exactly what I wanted.

I confess – I did oversteep or overleaf my first infusion, meaning there was just a little of a vegetal edge of an otherwise sweet tea. But the second infusion (with the same leaves) was perfect – sweet, fruity and refreshing. I imagine the third and fourth steeps that I have planned will be equally delicious.

Flavors: Pear

Hmmm. Well, this tea isn’t as bad as it could have been. And I mean that in a ‘me disliking the flavours’ way, not on execution. The predominant aroma is star anise, though it’s not overly strong; the flavour is more a smooth melding of a beany green, smooth vanilla, and a quite acceptable (aka low) level of star anise. Not really catching the jasmine, nor the pear. It’s actually rather soothing… I was planning to send the rest of my portion off to Roswell Strange with her half but I think I may actually drink the second cup myself (with the third off to VariaTea). I feel like this is the sort of tea where, if Butiki was remaining open, I might actually pick up another small quantity. But it’s not a big loss.

However, if you enjoy creamy/vanilla licorice, and can tolerate a good green base (it’s not sencha!)…. you may want to try this.

ETA: Guys! How am I the only reviewer for this? I hope my tasting note spurs more people on to pick this up in their order, because yum.

ETA: Subsequent infusions become too heavy on the anise for me.

Butiki Teas

I’ve been dying to see a review for this one. A lot of customers purchased it but haven’t received any feedback. I love how this one turned out but can definitely see it might not be for everyone.

Roswell Strange

I’m excited about this one, despite the green base.