Decaf Chocolate Raspberry Waffle

Dark Chocolate, Raspberry, Chocolate, Cocoa, Fruity, Pastries, Cake, Rose, Tea
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 11 oz / 319 ml

• “Last Janelle sample of the night – thanks as always! I don’t know if this is actually pretty flavourless, or whether my sense of taste is disappearing again. Today I noticed that I’m starting to...” Read full tasting note
  • “I can really taste the dark chocolate and raspberry in this tea and they mingle wonderfully together. I can’t taste the waffle at all. I definitely over-steeped it which made it bitter but the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Even with sugar, I just couldn’t get much flavor out of this one. There’s a hint of chocolate, but that’s about it. I think this just goes to show that decaf tea is best avoided (by me, at least),...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, Stacy said the flavored teas are past their prime, so I guess it’s time to write a tasting note for it. :/ I like putting my teas in airtight pouches though, so hopefully that will help...” Read full tasting note

From Butiki Teas

This decaffeinated tea pairs the flavors of our previous Raspberry Truffle tea with a buttery waffle flavor. Our Decaf Chocolate Raspberry Waffle is perfect for a late night treat. Adding a little sugar will create a sweet raspberry syrup flavor with creamy chocolate and more intense buttery waffle notes.

Ingredients: Organic Decaf Korakundah, Chocolate Chips (Evaporated Cane Juice, Natural Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter), Freeze-Dried Raspberries, Organic Organic Natural Flavors (vegan). Blend is vegan.

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

Last Janelle sample of the night – thanks as always!

I don’t know if this is actually pretty flavourless, or whether my sense of taste is disappearing again. Today I noticed that I’m starting to come down with a headcold, and my sinuses are playing up a lot again, so there’s a good chance that it’s me and not the tea. I hope not, I’m lost without tea all hours of the day. A few other tasting notes have mentioned the flavour being weak too though, and that and the fact that I can taste the flavours, only weak, makes me think that it is the tea. Other than Harney’s Vanilla Comoro I’m yet to find a decent decaf that tastes as good as regular caffeinated tea, so I’m not too surprised. Still, the scent of the tea steeping was lovely raspberry and waffles, so I’m a little disappointed that the flavour doesn’t live up to the scent. I could barely taste anything plain, so added sugar – a little too much in my haste – and even though it’s super sweet now it’s much better because I can taste more of the flavours that are supposed to be there. The raspberry comes through first, a little tart, and is followed by the waffle which I will admit I didn’t expect to be able to taste. It finishes with a lingering raspberry note, but this time it comes across as more of a sweet raspberry. Maybe because of the waffle? I don’t get chocolate at any point, which surprised me because Butiki’s chocolate flavouring in similar blends has came across very well, especially since I’m not usually a fan of chocolate in teas. Still, I’d rather no chocolate than bad chocolate. As the tea starts to cool the flavours are coming across a little more, but it’s still a very delicate cup. I think in my final cup I will use less water and steep for a longer time in hopes of eking out more flavour.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I can really taste the dark chocolate and raspberry in this tea and they mingle wonderfully together. I can’t taste the waffle at all. I definitely over-steeped it which made it bitter but the flavours are still good. Next time I’m going to add a little honey to amp up the sweetness.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Raspberry

Even with sugar, I just couldn’t get much flavor out of this one. There’s a hint of chocolate, but that’s about it. I think this just goes to show that decaf tea is best avoided (by me, at least), even from the likes of Butiki.

Well, Stacy said the flavored teas are past their prime, so I guess it’s time to write a tasting note for it. :/ I like putting my teas in airtight pouches though, so hopefully that will help them. I used a heaping teaspoon of these leaves that contain plenty of chocolate chips and raspberry pieces. Did I mention this is decaf? So this makes for an excellent dessert tea! However, there might be caffeine in all these chocolate chips…but they never melt enough IMO. The brew is light but the flavor is equal parts pastry/waffle, light chocolate, and sweet ripe raspberry. The raspberry reminds me of a truffle filling. Such a nice balance with the three flavors! The black tea isn’t my favorite, I’ve tried decaf teas before that tasted like full caffeine, so I’m not sure why this one must taste so mild. But it lets the flavors stand out anyway. I was also sipping Lime Marshmallow today. I have to stop hoarding my Butiki teas as much… at least until I get down to the last couple steep sessions.
Steep #1 // 1 heaping tsp // couple minutes after boiling // 4 minute steep
Steep #2 (next night) // just boiled // 4 min

DeliriumsFrogs

I have to stop hoarding mine, too…I don’t have much left at all, but I need to just get over it and drink them up, even though I’m sad to see them go. :)

I’ve been hoarding this almost since I move here. It smells mostly like chocolate, and some fruit. Decided to make it iced. There is a pasty flavour, with raspberries and cocoa. Not sure if I really get waffle, it’s more like a croissant. Might have sweetened it a little much, but it tastes like a nice dessert. Brewing it hot, I get more raspberry.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Fruity, Pastries, Raspberry

This tea is insanely good in my opinion. I was informed by Stacy that my order was the last of this. Too bad, it is perhaps the best flavored decaf tea I have ever had. This is like drinking a chocolate raspberry ice cream shake but its hot. There are strong notes from the dark chocolate and the raspberry. The tea itself smells of the heady aroma of dark chocolate, it definitely isn’t milk chocolate in this blend if my nose is accurate. There are many pieces of freeze dried raspberries in this too.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 4 min

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Raspberry

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

Sugar. The key to this blend is sugar. Without it, there’s a rich mouthfeel but the flavor is pretty meh. With about a teaspoon of brown crystal sugar, it’s raspberry, buttery, waffley goodness. The chocolate is pretty muted, dancing in and out of the sip while the raspberry and waffle flavors take center stage. I’m glad to have a decaf dessert tea that I can enjoy in the evenings. This is one of those rare-ish black teas that doesn’t hurt my stomach either.

OMG, a chocolate tea I actually like…it’s like finding a unicorn haha. I like that chocolate is not the primary flavor here. The raspberry and waffle flavors are more prominent, and cocoa is a back note that only comes out when it gets cold. While I don’t think it tastes exactly like the title implies, it is still very tasty. I particularly like that even though it is decaf, it doesn’t taste weird. Most decaf teas have an odd taste.

I tried this once before and didn’t enjoy it much but I attributed it to the fact that I let the tea get cold, so today I brewed it up again and made sure to drink it hot. Unfortunately, I am still not a fan. I think something about the decaffeinating process really takes away from the tea itself. There is no base for the flavors to really stand on so at times I get a little chocolate and some berry but nothing really significant enough that I would consider this memorable. The rest is being passed on to Indigobloom. Hopefully she will have better luck with it. 272.

poop

VariaTEA

It’s okay. At least I am not adding another tea to my list of those that will be deeply missed.

hahaha

Overboard Traveling tea box

This is the last tea I’m trying in this tea box before packing it all up and sending it off to the next recipient (which I think will be tomorrow – but I want to add a couple more things first). I wasn’t expecting that much from this, to be honest. First, it’s a decaf and sometimes decaf black tea can taste a bit funky and 2nd, I’m always worried about astringency in black teas. This doesn’t taste like decaf. The first sip unsweetened, I tasted a bit of something bready and a tiny bit of raspberry, but no real chocolate to speak of. Sweetened is another story! Really tasty, mostly raspberry, but then the chocolate comes in and it’s creamy without adding milk or cream. I feel a bit greedy keeping 2 of the Butiki blends in this box, but I love that it’s a black dessert blend I can have at night and there’s really not much left. Also, the whole company going away – thing.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML