Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake

Pu-erh Tea
Artificial, Cheesecake, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Earth, Tart
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

From Butiki Teas

Our Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake is a complex treat. The puerh adds a deep earthiness while the creamy cheesecake provides a nice contrast. The strawberry and rhubarb merge well with the creamy earthiness. Adding a little bit of sugar will make the strawberry rhubarb cheesecake flavor pop for a decadent dessert. Please rinse this puerh prior to steeping.

Ingredients: 1989 Suncha Blend (Chinese Puerh Tea), Freeze-Dried Strawberries, Safflower, Organic Natural Flavors (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 level teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

Gah, my spreadsheet for once has let me down! I don’t remember who sent me a generous sample of this, and apparently I never wrote it down. I’m pretty sure it was either Sil or OhFancyThat/WhatSheSaid but I can’t say with certainty which… I’m so sorry! And thank you to whoever it was!!

Honestly I thought from the reviews that I’d be more disappointed in this than I am. Maybe the key is having low expectations. This uses the 1989 Suncha as a base, a tea which I am familiar with having been sent 4oz of it in my mystery box! It’s a very potent tea, and I’ll admit I was confused initially as to why it had been chosen as the base for such a contrasting blend, but I actually think it works pretty well in a really unusual way. Plain, it is a little overpowering, and the rhubarb and strawberry flavours barely make it through the metallic, slightly smoky, wet earthy base. The cheesecake note is lost entirely, but I’m yet to find a ‘cheesecake’ tea which I can honestly say hand on heart truly reminds me of cheesecake straight away. After adding some sugar, the fruity strawberry and rhubarb pop a little more, but the Suncha is still dominant and cheesecake nonexistent. On a whim I added some single cream left over from the holidays, and almost did a double-take when I tried it again. The cheesecake flavour actually comes through now, and the strawberry and rhubarb are much more noticeable, particularly the strawberry. The Suncha isn’t lost at all, but it becomes a lot more mellow and the earthiness actually works very well with the creamy cheesecake and bright, tart fruit. Though the strawberry note dominates the rhubarb through the sip, the rhubarb is much more noticeable in the aftertaste and becomes more prominent as the cup cools.

Considering it was mainly created so that Stacy could use up her remaining supply of tea and flavourings, it’s pretty decent! Maybe not up to vastly superior Butiki standards, but it would certainly be one of the better blends from a number of other companies. I won’t cry when it’s gone, nor would I probably repurchase it if I could, but I am thoroughly enjoying the sample that I do have.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Tried this again just to see and yep, same deal. Sadly there isn’t much left in my sample so this is an almost sipdown, with enough left to fill a teeny cup.
I think the major problem here is that I just don’t care for the base. I find it earthy in a strange fashion. Not quite musty, or dirt like… I dunno, can’t put my finger on it!
A little bit of mushroom going on as well.

Fjellrev

Mushroom! How strange.

Kirkoneill1988

mushroom… mmmmm

Alyssa

Mushroom cheesecake, anyone? Seems odd. Do you think the sample has gone bad?

Kirkoneill1988

oooh! now i wonder that too

Indigobloom

Wow comment explosion haha.
I’ve seen mushroom notes in puerh before. I think its just how the base is. Also I never found it a traditional cheesecake flavour

Nichole, thank you for giving me another glimpse of Butiki!

So, I’m not rating this one because it’s a really old sample, and I don’t think it tastes the same as it used to. I totally understand why it’s called what it is. I taste all three flavors, but the cheesecake gives it a waxiness that turns the entire tea into a Yankee Candle. The Pumpkin Irish Cream also had a Yankee Candle taste…..I really don’t like Yankee candles.

I’m going to have to try this again with sugar to deload the cheesecake aspect. This wasn’t bad, but it’s not NEARLY as good as one of the oolongs I had from them, passed on from LP.

Flavors: Artificial, Cheesecake, Rhubarb, Strawberry

Dry, this smelled just like strawberry yogurt. Steeped—after a quick rinse—it smelled mostly like smoke. The flavor tended toward a happy middle ground, with an initial burst of smoke followed by a fruity aftertaste. I didn’t get anything resembling cheesecake out of this tea, but I liked it well enough even without that elusive flavor note—I’ve had a couple of blends meant to evoke cheesecake of one kind or another, and none have delivered. Anyway, I did enjoy this one quite a bit—it reminded me of Russian tea, with cherry jam.

Sipdown (124)!

Since I only had a cups worth left of this blend I figured it was as good a time as any to finish it off; I’d have loved to revisit it cold brewed but there wasn’t enough leaf left for a decent cold brew. Honestly, I don’t have much else to add for the flavor though.

I’m still really happy that I grabbed this one to try out because I did like it but honestly, if Butiki were still open, I’m pretty confidant that it’s one I wouldn’t pick up again so I’m not overly torn up about this sipdown. Not like I’ll be with the ones to come, anyway…

I haven’t had many flavored puerhs, but I’ve really enjoyed the other ones I’ve tried (RoT’s Coconut Puerh and Lupicia’s Chocolate Strawberry Puerh.) This one was okay, but I think it would have been better with a different base. I didn’t taste the cheesecake element at all, but the strawberry flavor definitely came through along with a hint of tartness that did remind me of rhubarb. However, the earthiness of the base seemed to throw the whole thing off-balance a bit. It was still a good tea, but definitely not the best that I’ve tried from Butiki. Thank you to The Cookie Lady for the sample!

Flavors: Earth, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tart

beelicious

I had the same issue… It was way too earthy and not cheesecakey enough.. Kinda glad it wasn’t just my tastebuds :)

From the Overboard TTB.

Ergh. I don’t know. Maybe it’s just not to my taste? It’s like a sweet ish, but predominately sour… something over a dark base. If you didn’t tell me it was pu erh, I would have assumed it was a very dark black tea. To be fair, I have no clue what rhubarb is supposed to taste like (it looks like red celery stick!), but I guess I had high expectations because it’s Butiki. I didn’t order this myself and was glad to try it, but it was nice for the experience. Just not my cup of tea. At least there’s no lingering aftertaste.

beelicious

I wasn’t a fan either… It smelled amazing but there was something a little off about the flavor

I was pretty excited to try this, but ultimately I think it’s another strawberry tea that I have issues with. Only because I find most often, anything strawberry flavoured tastes… like added flavour, not natural. A bit overwhelming.

I was hoping for more cheesecake for sure! And maybe more rhubarb, but I very likely just had trouble discerning the rhubarb element of this tea.

The pu-erh was definitely earthy, even though I rinsed it. Not BAD, it added a good backbone to the tea.

Happy to have tried it, but likely one I will pass on to someone who truly enjoyed it :)

Plunkybug

I liked this one, but I missed any cheesecake notes in my cup. Milk did help the creamy aspect. I like strawberry flavour in Butiki blends…much better than others, I think.

ohfancythat

Oh absolutely, Butiki has a a decent strawberry flavour, I just didn’t LOVE this one

I adore the base of this tea. However, somewhere along the way, the cheescake in this one gets lost and i’m left with a blend that is graham crackers away from my Ruby Pie :) This isn’t a bad blend, but not one of my favourite from Stacy. I vastly prefer the grasshopper cheesecake blend :)

tea-sipper

This is one I missed. This is the blend that gave me the idea that I should be blending some flavored black teas with ripened pu-erh.

I was a little disappointed with this tea. I didn’t get any rhubarb notes at all, but instead a “strawberry quik” type taste. It isn’t bad, it just didn’t meet my expectations at all. I didn’t get anything out of the puerh either. It reminded me of Red Leaf Tea’s Strawberry matcha (which also seemed all flavouring and no tea). I might try brewing this a different way (cold brew? less leaf? I’m undecided) to try it again.