Oolong Tea
Almond, Caramel, Cream, Floral, Honeysuckle, Milk, Nutmeg, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Bit of a dinner disaster. The experimental chicken satay was pretty tasty (bottled sauce so I couldn’t ruin it) but the gluey rice noodle mess I ended up with was nothing like the light and tasty...” Read full tasting note
  • “HOLY COW! This is a crazy good oolong! This is so different from any oolong I have tried! AND I LOVE OOLONG! First…the aroma is mild but floral. The color is a very light yellow. The taste is...” Read full tasting note
  • “I steeped it in my Gaiwan this time, and it tastes fabulous. Soft, creamy, nutty and sweet with a very smooth mouthfeel. Lovely! I can taste the faint notes of vanilla and nutmeg as mentioned in...” Read full tasting note
  • “First time trying this tea! I’m brewing it in the gaiwan. 1st steep – Jasmine aroma with a background resembling a milk oolong. Beautiful light, sweet floral taste. There seems to be the beginnings...” Read full tasting note

From Camellia Sinensis

From the high mountains of Taiwan this green wulong offers a rich cup with a touch of nutmeg and an edge of fresh vanilla. Explosive floral nose and an echo of caramel in the aftertaste.

Quantity of leaf / 250ml of water 1 tea spoon
Infusion Time 3-4 minutes
Infusion temperature 95 °C

About Camellia Sinensis View company

1983 tasting notes

Bit of a dinner disaster. The experimental chicken satay was pretty tasty (bottled sauce so I couldn’t ruin it) but the gluey rice noodle mess I ended up with was nothing like the light and tasty noodly-salad thing they serve with satay at the mom-and-pop Thai restaurant we like.

Pawed through my oolong basket (I try to sort by category) and found a bit of a sample left and decided some really fine tea would be balm to my wounded wannabe chef psyche.

This is, indeed, one of those fine oolongs that starts florally and ends caramelly. Good as dessert. Enjoying it and watching two Alfreds play in my backyard. All live bunnies at our house are named Alfred. The zombie bunny is just Anonymous.

Hesper June

This sounds like a yummy Oolong and a very nice tea to end the evening with.
I am so sorry, maybe this is just because we are recent tea buddies, but, um….Zombie Bunny?

gmathis

LONG story, HJ, but that refers to an eyeless white concrete bunny lawn ornament that former residents of our house left behind. So wicked looking I’m afraid to get rid of it ;)

Ninavampi

Zombie bunny… hahaha…

Hesper June

Hahaha! Okay,Well, I feel much better.
For a moment I was very afraid for your live bunnies…But it sounds like they are safe:)
(although it does sound like kind of a creepy lawn ornament)

HOLY COW! This is a crazy good oolong!
This is so different from any oolong I have tried! AND I LOVE OOLONG!
First…the aroma is mild but floral. The color is a very light yellow. The taste is smooth, sweet, juicy, and very fresh! I can taste a sugary caramel type taste but also a vanilla type taste. There is a hint hint of something else which I assume is the hazelnut hint they mention…but I want to stress it isn’t a loud hazelnut and all flavors that I stated are on the sugary-sweet side but naturally-speaking!

This is truly unique and FAB! YUM!

Batrachoid

Is this a pure oolong or are there additives? Either way it sounds phenominal.

TeaEqualsBliss

I don’t ‘think’ it’s flavored…I think those are just natural notes…

Batrachoid

I was just wondering because the desription makes it sound flavored.

TeaEqualsBliss

I know it…I went back and forth with that too! I’m not sure…maybe I will try and email them and ask

TeaEqualsBliss

Okay…I dropped them an email…I will let you know what I find out! :)

TeaEqualsBliss

I already heard back from Francois here is what he said…
“Regarding your question on Si Ji Chun, the flavour is fully natural, nothing was added.”

SIMPLY AWESOME! LOVE IT!

Even more amazing. =)

I steeped it in my Gaiwan this time, and it tastes fabulous. Soft, creamy, nutty and sweet with a very smooth mouthfeel. Lovely! I can taste the faint notes of vanilla and nutmeg as mentioned in the product description from Camellia Sinensis.

An exquisite Oolong! If you like Oolong, this is one not to be missed.

First time trying this tea! I’m brewing it in the gaiwan.

1st steep – Jasmine aroma with a background resembling a milk oolong. Beautiful light, sweet floral taste. There seems to be the beginnings of a richer taste floating around in the background. A smooth and silky feel. I was having kind of a bad day but this just makes me happy with everything. :)
2 – Pretty jasmine-y up front, with an interesting sweet background. Maybe caramel-y? I’m still pretty bad at identifying flavours __ There’s some nutmeg taste going on too.
3 – Still floral but slightly greener. As it cools I get a distinct vanilla aftertaste. Mmmmm
4 – Quite nutty, the floral taste is still there though. Slightly caramel-y too. This steep was a little light so I’ll give it a few more seconds for the next one.
5 – Very sweet! Kind of toasty now.
6 – Light and very slightly grassy. This steep makes me think of a big meadow on a clear sunny day.
7 – Sweet and caramel-y. Sooo goood. One of the best steeps yet.
8 – A rich green taste with a natural sweetness.
9 – Intense sugary sweet taste up front, with the leafy green in the background. Yum.
10 – I did the thing where you flip the gaiwan over so the leaves are balanced on the lid, then put them back in with the bottom ones on top. Actually they ended up going back in kind of sideways… I’m still not very good at this whole gaiwan thing. I’m not sure if it made much difference, this steep tastes similar to 9 but less sweet.
11 – Ah, there’s the sweetness again. Light and sweet like nectar.

Overall I really enjoyed this oolong. It made my day a lot better!

Bonnie

Good job. This sounds so complex and interesting!

Uniquity

I have never done the flip thing you described in 10 – did it help? Very cool!

Erin

I think it did help to refresh it a little bit, but it would have been better to do it earlier on.

A nice creamy vanilla taste. With a faint hint of flowers..maybe Jasmine? Or honeysuckle.

sample from crowkettle. This oonlong is not for me. There’s jasmine hidden in the background making it not all that enjoyable. not sure if it’s flavoured as such or my imagination is wreaking havoc on me but this is on the not so much a win side for me :)

cuddlesmom

I appreciate your mention of the jasmine. i am just not a big jasmine fan, so I tend to avoid teas with it. I really like the look of the flowering teas but it’s too bad so many seem to have jasmine as there primary note.

Roswell Strange

It’s not actually a jasmine scented tea, but definitely does have lot of natural floral flavour to it.

yeah i didn’t think it was jasmine scented but it was super floral/jasmine like for a tea that wasn’t jasmine scented haha

Strawberry, caramel , lilac, lemon marmelade, milky chalky thing. Upfront but thin and somewhat unrefined in flavors. the taste is reminescent of those light roast pourover coffees which bears red fruits and caramel extract notes… i ain’t a big fan of this mix.
But it does packs big flavors at a smaller price.

My nose is currently glued to my cup because floral vanilla caramel drops. It’s oolong heaven. First steep is floral cream, with a dash of something richer lightly sprinkled with nutmeg to finish. The heavy cream notes and “seasonings” make this tea feel filling.

Second steep smells like butter, and reminding me vaguely of cookie dough! Cream notes are dominant but a light caramel note is starting to creep into the profile at the end of the sip. The nippy nutmeg also remains. Yep! It’s like cookie dough without the sweetness (pastry dough?). My silly brain is trying to convince me I taste flour now.

The third steep has a floral-sweet aroma of honeysuckle. The floral note carries over to the taste, where it flows into the cream and the ever-present nutmeg and gives a strong impression of almond milk. The finished cup leaves a lingering sensation of mint freshness. This is where I cut it though; there’s only so much raw pastry dough, nutmeg, and cream I can drink this late in the evening!

All in all, not a bad first foray into Si Ji Chun/ Four Seasons Oolong!

Steep Count: 3

(2016 Winter Harvest)

Flavors: Almond, Caramel, Cream, Floral, Honeysuckle, Milk, Nutmeg

Evol Ving Ness

This one sounds like a winner.

Roswell Strange

I really enjoyed this one too!

Hot cuppa during a Daredevil binge.

- Very floral and buttery
- With qualities that almost reminded me of milk oolong
- Sweet; I can see the “vanilla” comparison from the company’s description
- But for me it’s a bit more like sweetened condensed milk

Beautiful twisted leaves. Unfortunately, my taste buds are not precise enough. I can’t smell or taste the flowers or caramel that every body else is talking about. To me, it just tastes like … a good wulong.