Labrador Tea Grade 1

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Flowery

1 Tasting Note View all

• “When tea drinkers live dangerously. That’s actually kind of true here. Apparently you’re really not supposed to drink this stuff if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, and it has a ‘slightly...” Read full tasting note

From Camellia Sinensis

Composition : Buds, stems and small leaves of Labrador tea
(Rhododendron groenlandicum)

From the peatland of Lake Saint-Jean, the downy leaves of this native plant of the Rhododendron genus disclose, in infusion, a lively and light liquor, supported by strong citrus and camphor aromas. Its vegetal character is reminiscent of lichen and cedar. Anti-inflammatory and decongestant, its essential oil is also calming.

Its essential oil is considered anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, antibacterial, decongestant and effective in treating various broncho pulmonary diseases (not surprising that many indigenous First Nations have adopted it to fight colds and flu), Labrador tea is also known for its calming and slightly stupefying influence helping to combat insomnia and anxiety; it is also acknowledged in the role of hepatic draining and regeneration of liver cells. Lastly it is a digestive, aids the menstrual cycle and help in the process of labour in women about to give birth.

Please note: Because of its high tannin, high doses or extended infusion can cause cramps and stomach aches. It is therefore better not infuse too long and to ration consumption. Consumption is also not recommended for women pregnant six months or less and children under six years old.

About Camellia Sinensis View company

1 Tasting Note

When tea drinkers live dangerously. That’s actually kind of true here. Apparently you’re really not supposed to drink this stuff if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, and it has a ‘slightly stupefying’ relaxing effect. So it’s basically beer. In flavor it reminds me of….gin? Definitely a bit medicinal but not bad. It’s just a little piney. I’m definitely relaxed, but then, I’m spending an evening drinking tea, reading a cookbook, and playing with my dog. Really hard to pin down the culprit here. Still, I really think I need to keep this around.

TeaNecromancer

Neat! I did not know that any of the Rhododendron’s species were non-toxic (but I am so not a plant expert) I will have to give it a try.

Flowery

Well, maybe ‘mildly toxic’ is the right description, at least if I’m interpreting WebMD’s summary correctly. I can live with that.

TeaBrat

sounds like I might need to try it :)

TeaNecromancer

Yeah, I can live with mildly toxic ;)

Stephanie