Oolong Tea
Cherry, Coconut, Floral, Sweet, warm grass, Cream, Grass, Honey, Sap, Tropical, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by sweetea
195 °F / 90 °C 6 g 2 oz / 60 ml

From Camellia Sinensis

Initial impression from this Taiwanese highland wulong is an aroma of ground-cherry and wheat-grass which evolves into fresh vanilla and flowers.

About Camellia Sinensis View company

I wrote a previous tasting note on the 2017 spring harvest of this Shan Lin Xi, and this one is for 2018. Every year, I get some of this tea, and every year, I run out of it too soon. I need to cave and buy a larger amount. I steeped my last remaining 6 g in a 120 ml teapot at 195F for 25, 20, 25, 30, 30, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, and 240 seconds.

In the teapot, I get aromas of cherry, wheatgrass, flowers, and honey; it smells softer and more nuanced than the 2017 version. Because it has all the tea bits from the bottom of the bag, the first steep is more astringent than usual, with notes of flowers, honey, cream, grass, and faint cherry. From the second steep, stronger cherry, balsam, and tropical fruit (maybe papaya?) emerge. Like its 2017 counterpart, this tea ends too soon, with the fruitiness and florals disappearing into vegetal obscurity by steep seven or so.

This Shan Lin Xi is a favourite and is great for mindless sipping. Last spring’s harvest had a more distinctive cherry profile, and while I appreciate this year’s honey and florals, that fruitiness is what makes me return year after year. The only thing that’s preventing me from giving this tea a higher rating is how quickly it ends.

Flavors: Cherry, Cream, Floral, Grass, Honey, Sap, Tropical, Vegetal

195 °F / 90 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

My favorite oolong from Camelia Sinensis,

I often tend to prefer the roundness of middle infusions in oolongs, but this one starts majestically.