Sun Moon Lake T-18 2010

Tea
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

From Camellia Sinensis

Though still very uncommon, aging black tea is slowly picking up as a trend. When we consider the depth 8 years of Taiwanese storage has given this tea it must me a good thing.

In its fresh form the Sun Moon Lake is a great tea. Aged, it has developed a complexity and roundness that not only underline its assamica origins but also bring the flavour profile to a new level of complexity. Dense and syrupy liquor, with notes of candied fruits, spices and bright red flowers (roses, hibiscus and elderberry flower) seduce the mouth and linger with a long, sweet leather finish.

About Camellia Sinensis View company

More Gongfu!

Earlier in the week I went to Camellia Sinensis, mainly to go to the tea house with a friend but I couldn’t resist picking up some teaware too. I nabbed myself a new chahai because I’ve been craving some diversity with my options for that style of teaware. I got this gorgeous and more earth toned one, and today I broke it in with some tea that was also from CS!

I remember trying this Gongfu when I first got it, but I don’t strongly remember the tasting notes I experienced with it – I just know that I liked it. I’ll have to go back and reread my tasting note and compare that experience with this one to see if they were consistent. One thing that would definitely be different, though, is that I brewed it this time in an unglazed shibo that I exclusively use for Taiwanese black teas.

I got a lot of infusions out of this tea, and I found it adapted well to my more casual brewing style – I tend to rely on gut feeling to determine my steep times over precisely timing them, and sometimes when you do that with a more fickle tea you get shaky results. This came out good every time though. The wet leaves smell distinctly like wintergreen, however many of the infusions shared a delicious and fruitier profile with notes such as malt, leather, sweet red wine, and stewed red fruits! It was rich and aromatic, and just a very satisfying experience.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9IRENsA263/