Yunnan Gold Black Dragon Pearls

Cacao, Caramel, Cherry Wood, Dates, Roasted Barley, Vanilla, Wet Wood, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

2 Images

• “With my last order from Canton Tea there was this little sample of yunnan black pearls included. I had it sitting here for a while now and my curiosity has taken the upper hand. Upon opening the...” Read full tasting note
  • “In many ways, I prefer Yunnan black teas to Darjeelings and Ceylons. Powdery in a good way, they often have that slight bitterness that tames the fruity side of things. I will have to rebrew this...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve tried this tea using the recommended 1-2 pearls, but haven’t been impressed.. so I’ve made this morning’s cup with around 5-7. We’ll see if it makes a difference. Right away, I can tell that...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one has changed names a few times but this is the description of Black Pearls by Canton Tea and they have also been called Yunnan Gold Pearls. Origin: Feng Qing Mountains; Lincang,...” Read full tasting note

From Canton Tea Co

Easy-brewing black tea pearls with hints of plum and caramel.

These attractively gold-flecked, marble-sized black tea pearls have been hand-rolled from high-grade Yunnan Gold leaf tea into perfectly compressed spheres. They make a deliciously smooth, medium-bodied brew. Each pearl weighs around one gram, so use just two or three in a small teapot. Made in Fen Qing, in Yunnan, they are ideal at work or on holiday.

Use 1-2 pearls per cup (200ml), water temperature 95°C; infuse 2-3 mins.

About Canton Tea Co View company

Canton Tea Co is a London-based tea company trading in high grade, whole leaf Chinese tea. We have exclusive access to some of the best jasmine, white, green, oolong, black and authentic puerh teas available. In our first year, we scooped Six Golds at the 2009 Guild of Fine Food Great Taste Awards. Our Jasmine Pearls won the top three star gold award, endorsing it as the best available in the UK.

Upon opening the package i can smell a light malty typical yunnan flavor. I had yunnan tea’s before but that where usual loose tea’s, this is something different. The pearls as they are called are pretty big tea balls. Lets say about 1cm diameter max but most are a bit smaller. Its easy to measure in your teacup and the instructions note that i best use 2 balls for 250ml water. But i like my black tea strong so i’m using 3…

I’m using almost boiling water and a 3min infusion for my first cup. The little teaballs start to unfurl and bubble open pretty slowly and after a minute or so it increases it speed and starts getting alive. The balls turn out to be pretty large yunnan leafs, pretty tippy to. The color of the infusion is a hazy brown, not so dark then i expected but it smells good!

Tasting this tea reveals a slightly malt and spicy flavor that holds up pretty well, its surprisingly sweet and not bitter at all. I’m enjoying this and its easy to make because off the balls u just pick some out the package and are ready to go…

Overall not my most favorite yunnan but its a good quality

In many ways, I prefer Yunnan black teas to Darjeelings and Ceylons. Powdery in a good way, they often have that slight bitterness that tames the fruity side of things. I will have to rebrew this more to get a good feel for the tea but off the bat, I am using 3 pearls to 200ml with a 3m steep. Seems low according to the reviews I’m reading here, but it gives me an idea of what a reasonable amount of these will make.

Unfurled the leaves are larger than I expected, with a fair amount of tipps in there, although they took a good 1.5" of stem with that tip too.

The tea has the aroma of dry cocoa powder with hints of vanilla, stone fruit, cherries, caramel 40 (where all my brewers at?!) It has a bit of a bite at the back of the palate, I would call it astringency but it is almost a sour sensation without a sour taste. The body, as I predicted, is relatively light for the amount of tea, but I suppose that may just be the score here. Has that powdery sensation that I love in Yunnans but less than some other more tippy Dian Hong I’ve had.

All in all, this is a pleasant tea, not the best Yunnan I’ve had, but I will have to keep learning these leaves and improve my brew of it. Next time, 5 pearls to 200ml and hopefully I don’t end up jumping off the walls from the caffeine.

CORRECTION:

2nd occasion to brew these, I went for 6 including a small one or two, in my tea french press, 250ml, 4 minutes, and this was wonderful. MORE is the key to getting your flavor our of this. It has everything I love about Tippy Yunnan/Dian Hong: Creamy, cacao bean, caramel, all without any tanniny bitterness. I got 3 steeps before it started to get watery and gave up. This is a great tea. I didn’t weigh the pearls the 2nd time around, but that would be my only qualm: you would go through them fast.

Flavors: Cacao, Caramel, Cherry Wood, Dates, Roasted Barley, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 30 sec 3 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

Right away, I can tell that the scent is much stronger and very sweet. Sipping… yep, definitely better with more pearls! This is smooth, sweet – hints of caramel, hay and wood. It’s actually a little chalky which I found to be the case with fewer pearls. I love how this has much more body and it’s so smooth! Yum.. would definitely buy these again, but not sure if the value is there since I have to add so many pearls to get the delicious cup I want.

Kittenna

Anytime I’ve made a tea with black pearls, I’ve used 4-5 at least in order to get my desired flavour level. They do last for multiple infusions though, usually.

Origin: Feng Qing Mountains; Lincang, China.
Dry Leaf: These pearls are large,,,the size of small gum balls. The pearls are black-brown and gold threads woven together to look like a little ball of yarn. Very cool looking. Smell like malty sweet black tea.
Method: Have played with these pearls a few times and definitely Gong Fu is the way to go over Western or any other method. Used a 3.38 oz porcelain ceramic pot with 2 pearls at 200F. I have tried this tea using 1 pearl and it was weak.
Double rinse 10"/10" (Pearls are very tightly rolled)
30"/30"/40"
Wet Leaf: Medium size leaves that have been twisted like a rope then rolled into the pearl shape. Woody scent.
Liquor: Golden and clear.
Flavor: Sort of starts out roasty and as it cools some vanilla comes out but it is not sweet. Further steepings bring out a cooked woody flavor. It is reminding me of the couple of Shou puerhs that I have tried and this is why I enjoy Sheng puerhs much better.
They worked so hard on rolling this tea that I respect it and it is beautiful to look at but it is really one note and hard to brew for me. It is very woody :(

Flavors: Wet Wood, Wood