Glendale Estate Twirl Nilgiri

Tea
Fruity, Raisins, Butter, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by yyz

• “Discovery Tea box – Tea #15 To be honest, I had this a few days ago and don’t really remember it. It is pretty light tasting, which isn’t usually a black tea I can remember anyway. The leaves...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another tea from the TTB 2018 This is a really nice black tea with some darker fruity flavour. It reminds me a bit of raisins or dried date (but not sweet). This is a really flavourful bold black...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another review with pretty close notes to what I get: Butter, Fruity, Malt, and White Raisins. It also had the usual dry basil smell and taste that I associate with Darjeelings. I got two solid...” Read full tasting note
  • “This actually came to me from the last GCTTB. Nilgiri isn’t a tea I often see sold as a single estate tea, it’s a type of tea that, like Ceylon, is usually fairly unremarkable and used more often...” Read full tasting note

From Capital Tea Ltd.

Incredible winter harvested tea from one of Nilgiri’s best gardens. Huge, well twisted wiry single leaves and buds with a delicate floral scent. These leaves produce a light liquoring, tantalizingly complex tasting infusion with a well rounded and balanced sweetness.

About Capital Tea Ltd. View company

Discovery Tea box – Tea #15

To be honest, I had this a few days ago and don’t really remember it. It is pretty light tasting, which isn’t usually a black tea I can remember anyway. The leaves were larger, making the flavor even less strong than I’d want in a black tea. I CAN say the tea was probably better than this tasting note!

Nattie

Did Butiki do teas from this estate?

Another tea from the TTB 2018

This is a really flavourful bold black that is not overly bitter. The fruity flavour is nice, but more of an afterthought that a prominent note. It is fairly smooth but I don’t taste any malt. I don’t have experience with Nilgiri teas, but I think the wiki description of “dark, intensely aromatic, fragrant and flavoured” is very accurate.

Flavors: Fruity, Raisins

Another review with pretty close notes to what I get: Butter, Fruity, Malt, and White Raisins. It also had the usual dry basil smell and taste that I associate with Darjeelings. I got two solid cups, and one third lighter cup western starting out at two minutes fifteen seconds, 6 oz of water, one medium teaspoon. I loved that this was a lighter black. Thanks Evol!

1908 tasting notes

This actually came to me from the last GCTTB. Nilgiri isn’t a tea I often see sold as a single estate tea, it’s a type of tea that, like Ceylon, is usually fairly unremarkable and used more often as a base for flavoured teas than as something to be enjoyed plain. But this tea is quite interesting, its flavour reminds me distinctly of a Darjeeling with the drying astringency. It has those grape-y, wine likes notes that I usually get from an offering from Margaret’s Hope estates thousands if a miles to the north.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This is from a sample Christina sent to me. It didn’t look like the type of tea I would choose but I gave it a try this morning.

This tea surprised me. Long dark spindly leaves. The dry leaves had a slight fruity , raisin smell to them. Brewed 2 min at 95C. Pulled out the infuser and what? Green leaves from black tea? Yep, the leaves when infused turned green.

This is not a bold black but it has loads of flavour. Very fruity with a bit of malt. There a slight buttery base in it too. It’s a little like the moonlight teas. It’s just so mild and tasty. So much fruity flavour!

I don’t often reach for blacks. I have to be in the mood for them but this one is one of those blacks that seems to be a bit of a crossover from the lighter teas. I really love this one! I see it’s from Capital Teas and I’ve never ordered from them before. That means Capital Teas may be on my order lists in the future (once I’ve sipped down my teas to a reasonable level.)

Thanks Christina for this one!

Flavors: Butter, Fruity, Malt, Raisins

Another tea sent to me by Christina. Thank you!

I was really surprised by this tea, and kind of regret leaving it out on the counter during fruit fly season.

I steeped 2 minutes at 195, and I used the WHOLE SAMPLE in my giant mug. :) Initially I was rather concerned because it smelled a little like steamed greens. However, as it cooled it was really quite tasty. Not sharp or “cold” at all like some of the other large leafed nilgiri teas I’ve tried. Almost… fruity? I’m not really sure how to describe it, but I did enjoy it.

Edit: Ok, I was right. It’s a Canadian company! Definitely a place I need to order from in the future. :)

Plunkybug

I wonder if this is like David’s Tea’s Blue Mountain Twirl? I think that was a green that had almost a back feel that was almost like a black, or at least that is how they categorized it…and I think it was Nilgiri? I may be wrong. I’ll need to go check this listing out!

Christina / BooksandTea

I can send you more of this if you want. The first time I tried it it had some camphor/eucalyptus notes that I really liked, but I haven’t been able to replicate that.

OMGsrsly

Haha. Thanks Christina, but I have so much tea still. I’m trying to get down to one shelf in my cupboard, and that’s gonna take a good long while. :)

GCTTB
This tea confuses me. I’m a big bold chocolatety Chinese black tea kind of girl. I don’t normally like the lighter style blacks, and I really don’t like Indian teas. So why do I like this so much?
It’s light, it’s fruity, grapey, winey, sweet, a little astringent – but in this one I find the little astringency balances the sweetness. I’m putting the rest back in the box, but this makes me wonder if I should watch for other teas from this estate.

A very well-made tea that brews up into a quite pleasant cup. It is similar in its characteristics to a Darjeeling First Flush, though less robustly so. Would make a good tea, I think, for those those like their Darjeelings on the lighter side.

First infusion – 3 g. per 8 oz water, 90 deg., 3:30 min.

Second infusion – 3 g. per 8 oz. water, 90 deg., 6:30 min.

Third infusion – 3 g. per 8 oz. water, 90 deg., 10:00 min.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Backlog from a few days ago.

The leaves on this are quite fluffy, which means that I underleafed this when I brewed it a few days ago. It was really weak tasting. Considering how well this tasted when I had a sample back in September, I was really sad!

I’ll have to be a bit more generous with the leaf on this one.

This is such an intriguing tea. The dark spindly leaves look like a black tea when dry, and they smell sort of malty and breadish like a black tea. But the wet tea smells malty still, but also bright and fruity, like apricots and lime zest. And the leaves have unspindled, and have become light to medium green whole leaves, reminding me of green tea or a green oolong.

And the taste is a mix of malt and honey, apricots and water chestnuts, and a bit of citrus. It might sound like an odd mix, but the different notes come out to play at different times and blend with the other notes to create a very complex and interesting cup.

I can’t even describe what I’m tasting, but this is my best attempt to.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
yyz

I think you did a pretty good job. This tea really does have a complex mix of flavours.

Mandy

Thank you. I honestly didn’t realize how complex it was when I had it and was too busy and this distracted to dedicate the time to truly experience the tea. Next time I’m going to take my time with this tea and contemplate what I’m tasting better.