2017 "Whispering Sunshine"

Bulk
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Crimson Lotus Tea
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 oz / 100 ml

• “If you’re out there Crimson Lotus, I think your description of this tea is perfect. Clear, sparkling gold liquor with some fruity tones (not tastes) like cucumber-melon, apricot and citrus. I can...” Read full tasting note
  • “You know how sometimes you’re feeling kind of bleh and know tea would help? Yeah, that was last night. It had been raining all day but it was hot and I had a dry throat. I pulled Whispering...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

Bai Ying Shan, or White Warbler Mountain, is a remote high altitude tea growing region in Lincang Prefecture. This mountain has more than 10 unique varietals of camellia sinensis. The material in this tea is composed entirely from one ancient tree varietal called ‘dabaiyakou’ which means ‘big white buds’ . The picking and processing of this tea is 100% done by hand.

We chose to call this puerh “Whispering Sunshine”. The tea gardens in Bai Ying Shan are the highest elevation that we source tea from. Grown above 2200m (7200 feet or 1.3 miles) we imagined these tea trees were close enough to hear the gentle voice of the Sun. The Sun plays a critical role through the entire lifespan of puerh tea from growing the trees to drying the leaf. Puerh is defined by the sun drying stage. If it isn’t sun dried, it isn’t puerh. This puerh has been direct sun dried.

This puerh is similar in profile to “Hidden Song” with more body. It has a clean aroma that is vegetal with a note of lemongrass and a hint of tobacco. The flavor is bright with smooth herbal notes and an earthy vibrance. The bitterness and astringency are just enough to keep you interested. There is an energy to this tea that can come on strong. Listen close and hear the Sun whispering to you through this tea. There is a lot to tell.

This is our go to choice for a hiking tea. Brew up a thermos of this ahead of a hike and drink it when you’re thirsty. It is clean, refreshing, and full of energy!

Prefecture: Lincang
Elevation: 2200m +
Wood Fired
Hand Rolled
Direct Sun Dried
Single Varietal

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

Clear, sparkling gold liquor with some fruity tones (not tastes) like cucumber-melon, apricot and citrus. I can see how others describe lemongrass from previous years. Apricot aftertaste early on leaves by the third steep. Second steep my note says YUM. Here I noticed some cooling on the swallow and a warm and spicy peppery bite in the throat. By the fourth steep, this transformed into a medium returning sweetness. Fifth steep brought out a very rounded savory and bright tone, I want to say like baked lemon and yellow squash. The tea lasted another 10 steeps without much change from there. Cha qi was interesting… kind of meditative — knocked me out for about 20 minutes. I could feel something like waves of long, thick golden-brown hair flowing out of my eyebrows and cheekbones.

A really clean and bright tea with very little bitterness and astringency and not super sweet. Very refreshing with a medium to light body and some smooth oiliness. I can see why Crimson Lotus likes to take this on hikes. So far this is my favorite from the sheng sampler.

Hey it’s #300.

205 °F / 96 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I pulled Whispering Sunshine from out and it was perfect. Cucumber, lemongrass, and some vegetal flavor later on. Good balance of sweetness and bitterness. Great qi. I was really feeling it around the jaw and inner ear, just warmth, lightness, faint tingling.

Normally, I’m not in the proper mood for this tea, I have some maocha from Hidden Song that I prefer to day to day drinking as it has more bitterness, but last night this was a 10/10. I can see why Glen takes his hiking.

Flavors: Cucumber, Lemongrass, Vegetal