Noël à St-Petersbourg

Apple Pieces, Black Tea, Flavor, Flower Petals
Almond, Cherry, Marzipan
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Dammann Freres

A festive blend combining black teas with a delicious bouquet of fruits bringing together apple, pear, mirabelle plum and peach.
Dominant note : Orchard fruits
Type(s) of tea : Black Tea
Main flavour : Apple
Complementary flavour(s) : Pear, Mirabelle plum, Peach, Hazelnut, Chestnut

About Dammann Freres View company

What a lovely tea !
It has some ingredients I rarely have in tea : plums (particularly mirabelles) and pear.
In addition apple and peach are present as well.
To be honnest apple and pear are really behind and the main taste to me is clearly mirabelle, for the best as I love mirabelles ! But the other fruits give a special note to this blend even if they are nor really detectable one by one.
The impression is an automnal blend, it makes me think to a setting sun.
Very well blended. Not sure it would be the aromas I would have chosen for St Petersburg but this is really well done.
Another Dammann Frères I really enjoyed.

Now remain 3 teas from my last order to taste including 2 chaï, I feel lazy today to prepare a chaï so maybe next week end !

Day 20!

This one dry smells of apples. The brewed tea tastes like apples and rose petals. There is a bit of plum. I am finding it has abit of a waxy flavour but I think it is from the rose petals. As it cools there is maybe a bit of pear in there.

This one is ok. But I definitely prefer Marie Antoinette for an apple/rose tea.

Advent Calendar, Day 20 (EEP: I had this on yesterday accidentally! Sorry to spoil the surprise). Getting close to the end now – I can’t even believe it’s Christmas next Wednesday.

When I first smelled this I got red fruit/berries, specifically strawberry, and even kind of a caramelly scent. Reading the description turned the berry note into apple+peach. Don’t know where I got caramel unless it was the pear (I think it can sometimes have a sugary sweet scent like that).

Steeped at the below parameters, with no additives.

Apple and plum both have that astringence with their skin that I am wary of in tea form. I like eating them both but I’ve had apple teas before and they tend to carry that astringence over. This is the case here – between the plum and the apple it is very astringent and tart, albeit fruity. This is only the second of the Dammann teas I’ve tried so far (the other being their Earl Grey) that I think would benefit from some sugar.

I was so close to the end of the cup before determining this that I didn’t bother with the sugar – and as it was only the one teabag, I doubt I will order it again to try this out. So far I still think that Noël a Venise is my favorite Christmas tea of theirs.

Definitely apples and a little pear.
Goes nicely with ALL the christmas cookies I ate for breakfast. Haha

Dammann advent calendar, day 20. Yay more “Noël” teas! Makes sense that this is the perfect way to try all of those.

Very fruity! Honestly yesterday morning I couldn’t focus too hard on it, but it certianly came across as a well-blended, fruity tea with no one flavor taking over the others, and all working together to make a tasty cup. I would bet this would make a really tasty iced tea too (funny for a Christmas tea), and I certainly wouldn’t turn down another cup of it.

Additional notes: Another one I’m trying with the cooler/shorter steep parameters. This one always tasted pretty much like cherries to me, just like the Noel Paris blend but it definitely isn’t supposed to be cherries. This time around, I get an odd flavor at the top of the cup that I realize after looking at the description could be pear. I’m not sure how different a mirabelle plum tastes to a typical plum. But possibly all these other fruit flavors are combining to taste like cherry to me somehow. SO with these parameters, I think I was able to parcel out a bit more of what the tea is supposed to taste like. But this still isn’t a great tea for me.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a mug // 14 minutes after boiling// 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min

lizwykys

Well, now, I became curious about the Mirabelle plum and started reading about it. It’s a small yellow plum, slightly larger than a cherry, said to be sweeter and less acidic than other plums, with a distinctive perfume that makes it perfect for eau de vie. One description says: “Mirabelle de Metz plum offers a very sweet full bodied flavor with notes of concentrated dried apricot, golden raisin, and honey.”

One reason they are probably not so familiar is “The US Food and Drug Administration has a Trade agreement with France regarding Mirabelle plums that has been designed to protect the French market. The fruit has a protected origin designation making true Mirabelle Plums almost impossible to get in the US.”

Anyhoo, I have this tea my wish list, so maybe I’ll eventually try this mystery flavor myself!

tea-sipper

Interesting, I wasn’t really tasting ‘apricot, raisin or honey’ either so who knows. Also, MOST foreign fruit is impossible to find in the grocery store I shop at, so I certainly don’t expect to find Mirabelle plums. haha

tea-sipper

On another note, I’m eagerly awaiting everyone talking about their 52Teas advents. No one I’m following has posted about it today. sigh. Maybe that means it’s a herbal blend.

Mastress Alita

Well, I’m having to re-gift my Day 6 52Teas advent tea-sipper, so that is a pretty big hint about what that one is, if you know anything about me… (to be fair, given what I knew about last year’s advent, I knew it was going to happen, and wasn’t going to order one based on that knowledge, but I was willing to take the gamble in the hopes of getting Foggy Coconut because I wanted more so bad so at least that paid off…)

YES YES YES THIS IS GOOD OH HOT JAM

So, Gentleman and I are moving in together a lot sooner than we’d planned because of reasons and am I ever not over the last move yet! Blerg. But it’ll sure be nice to actually live together in one house instead of two, yes? Yes.

So, this tea. It’s like lovely crisp, juicy peaches, and then lovely crisp, juicy apples, and then cooked plums. SO MUCH COOKED PLUMS. Not raw plums, cooked plums. Like a beautiful, flavourful, sweet and tart plum compote. It’s an incredibly beautiful flavour. I’m in love. Thanks for sharing, Ysaurella!

Ysaurella

I’m happy you liked this one too :) plums and tea are pairing so well together

Cameron B.