Bougainville

Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Is this a different base tea from DF’s other flavored blacks? At least I can taste this one, and it’s a reasonable OP. And the flavoring, supposed to be ‘apricot, fig, plum, strawberry, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sample from VariaTEA I didn’t look this one up so had no idea what the flavouring was. It was a good cup but i had a lot of trouble figuring out what was i was drinking besides “fruity” On...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one is a bit of a disappointment, even though it was one I wanted to try more than most others from DF. Apricot, fig, plum, strawberry and vanilla!!! That sounds like my perfect tea! Some...” Read full tasting note
  • “Finally, finally thought it was time to write about these DF teas from the group order. THANK YOU SO MUCH to Marzipan for organizing it! I feel so lucky to have been a part of it. I’ve actually...” Read full tasting note

From Dammann Freres

Blend of black teas combining flavors from Damascus and French orchards.

This startling infusion reveals apricot, fig, plum, strawberry and vanilla flavours, crafted with bits of fruits.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Is this a different base tea from DF’s other flavored blacks? At least I can taste this one, and it’s a reasonable OP. And the flavoring, supposed to be ‘apricot, fig, plum, strawberry, and vanilla,’ well, there is certainly a touch of vanilla plus ‘fruit.’ It’ll make a refreshing iced tea.

Sample from VariaTEA I didn’t look this one up so had no idea what the flavouring was. It was a good cup but i had a lot of trouble figuring out what was i was drinking besides “fruity” On seeing the flavlouring, maaaybe i was picking up on the apricot since it wasn’t “red fruit” taste..but i couldn’t say for sure. Fun to try anyway!

This one is a bit of a disappointment, even though it was one I wanted to try more than most others from DF. Apricot, fig, plum, strawberry and vanilla!!! That sounds like my perfect tea! Some of my favorite flavors should be here! I love the idea of all of these flavors here, but the result of the brew isn’t much flavor at all. I can definitely taste SOME sort of fruit flavor, but it’s tough to pick out what they specifically are. I’d guess cherry if I had to. No vanilla. Simply fruit flavor on a black tea base that seems like Ceylon. I hope all DF black teas aren’t Ceylon bases.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoon for a full mug// 12 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep

greenteafairy

I’ve found this to be true of a lot of fancy French blends involving a bunch of different flavors, including a few from DF. They’re generally still pleasant to drink, but these amazing descriptions just build up expectations that are hard to meet.

tea-sipper

Definitely noticing this! Hopefully the other blends are less disappointing. But at least with the group order I didn’t have to order 100 grams of everything.

I’ve actually tried a few already but thought I’d write my first note about this one. Its fragrance isn’t as distinctive as some of the others I chose, meaning that I can’t detect the individual fruity notes of strawberry, fig, plum, etc. I can even say that about the flavour. The base is extremely smooth, but the flavour is like a slightly generic mix of dark fruits with a swirl of creamy vanilla. It’s tasty, but if I were to taste this blind, I couldn’t tell you, “Ah, that’s apricot. And strawberry! And there’s definitely some plum in here too.” I wouldn’t buy more but I’ll happily finish up the amount that I snagged.