Charlotte aux Fruits

Black Fruit Blend
Black Currant, Caramel, Red Fruits, Pastries, Stewed Fruits
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “The 8-year-old kid next door had a birthday this week. Hence, the adults surrounding the kid had to get wasted and party through the night. And now there is more joy. They’ve set up some sort...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another sample from VariaTEA to be honest i don’t really care for the french “red fruits” this one is along that vein. Is it a good solid cup of tea with really nice flavouring….yes. but it’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown I went to add this to the Sororitea Sisters TTB only to realize I have never actually tasted this myself. At least not that I could recall. I also noticed the package this was in had a tear...” Read full tasting note
  • “After the disappointment that was The des Marquises, I’m happy to say this is a return to form for DF. It’s quite fruity, in a jammy sort of way, not unlike DF’s 4 Fruits Rouge. I don’t know that I...” Read full tasting note

From Dammann Freres

“Charlotte aux Fruits” flavored black tea

Subtle marriage of black teas with flavours ofred fruits and biscuit . papaya and strawberrybits brings the finish of this blend deliveringa savoury cup with fruity notes.
Subtle marriage of black teas with flavours of red fruits and biscuit . papaya and strawberry bits brings the finish of this blend delivering a savoury cup with fruity notes.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

And now there is more joy. They’ve set up some sort of video game with various repeated pings, dings, and doorbell sounds alongside my living and dining space, so just yay! And then, there are the considerate joy cries of the whole family when the kid scores a goal or hit or whatever the aim is. Hurray for considerate neighbours. Gee, thanks.

Tomorrrow is Family Day here, so I expect more of the same. And then after that, for quite some time. What are the chances that this kid is going to be enjoying this quietly while wearing headphones? I am doubtful.

This tea is a comfort though. The scent while steeping was black currant with hints of caramel. I really hoped that these scents would translate into flavours in my cup. And they did. Black currant and various red fruit and jam flavours, such as red currant, perhaps a bit of strawberry tartness.

Delicious.

Thank you, VariaTEA, for the sample. It is making my day far more pleasant.

Flavors: Black Currant, Caramel, Red Fruits

Another sample from VariaTEA to be honest i don’t really care for the french “red fruits” this one is along that vein. Is it a good solid cup of tea with really nice flavouring….yes. but it’s just not my favourite :) thanks V!

Sipdown

I went to add this to the Sororitea Sisters TTB only to realize I have never actually tasted this myself. At least not that I could recall. I also noticed the package this was in had a tear so I decided to just brew it up and turns out I only had enough for one cup.

This is typical Parisian red fruit flavoring though perhaps sweeter than it usually is. I guess that’s why people get pastry notes since the flavor is almost jammy or like pie filling. That coupled with the thick black base is leaving me underwhelmed. With that in mind, this is a welcome sipdown as I am not loving this.

After the disappointment that was The des Marquises, I’m happy to say this is a return to form for DF. It’s quite fruity, in a jammy sort of way, not unlike DF’s 4 Fruits Rouge. I don’t know that I would’ve pegged it as strawberry, necessarily; I’m getting more of a mixed red fruits vibe. I can’t say I’m tasting biscuit, exactly, but there’s a sweetness—and richness—that I suppose might be vaguely reminiscent of a delicate little tea cookie.

I still haven’t tried a ton of DF blends yet, but so far I’m getting the sense they do better with more Old World-y kinds of flavor profiles and less well with… I don’t know, modern ones? Tropical? I realize Charlotte aux Fruits does contain papaya, as did Noël à Venise—why does DF add papaya to everything, anyway?—but since I can’t detect it in the taste I’m still counting this one as an old school French sort of flavor.

I am finally getting around to posting notes about the wonderful teas from Dammonn Freres from the group order that Marzipan coordinated. Thank you, Marzipan! When my husband offers me tea in the morning I get to say, “Something French.” :). It has been a lot of fun.

I looked up the Charlotte-style dessert this tea is based on, wow, I am looking forward to making some gorgeous summer desserts! I have liked all the DF teas so far— they are all so comforting. Steeping time is key (the low recommended end) to avoid the base overwhelming the rest of the flavors. I don’t sweeten my teas, but I took a sip after a bite of cake and found the fruit flavors really popped. There is a stewed fruit quality, like jam without the sugar, and that awesome biscuit taste, reminds me of ladyfingers. A solid choice for a fruity black.

Flavors: Pastries, Stewed Fruits

Marzipan

I’m so glad! This is one of my husband’s favorites.

sren

I didn’t see your score until after I had posted— we match!

I made a huge DF order and it all arrived last week, and I haven’t had much else since then. I have been bad about writing tastings notes on them. Some of the teas are real WOW teas. Some are just normal, but by normal I mean still a really good tea.

This one was a WOW tea. I found myself thinking about the tea each time I took a drink – it kept pulling my attention because it tasted so good. Sometimes I can sort of zone out and drink the tea automatically. The description says red fruits, papaya, and strawberry bits. But the really interesting part is the “biscuit” – which of course it not like an American biscuit. It’s like a European one, or a cookie. That’s the magic here.

It’s hard for me to describe exactly what biscuit tastes like in tea, but it’s sort of like a bit of cookie on the finish, but it’s not a sweet cookie. More like a shortbread. This tea alone makes me want to order one of every one of the teas they sell.

TeaNTees