Black Tea, Flavor, Flower Petals
Marzipan, Almond, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Cookie, Nuts, Pastries, Pecan, Roasted nuts, Hazelnut, Nutty, Sweet, Smooth
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Sadly, I have a few teas from that DF group order from a couple years ago that I never wrote tasting notes for. This is one of them and seems like the right time to write a note. The black tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dammann Freres Advent Tea Calendar I think this one was Day 22. Maybe. Anyway, I quite enjoyed it. It was mild and nutty and sweetish without being cloying or sickeningly sweet. Possibly my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Home – 7:00 PM The Great Cupboard Excavation Untasted teas remaining: 45 Ugh, it’s so good to be home. I stayed a bit late at work to finish submitting a fix for a software bug, and then I needed...” Read full tasting note
  • “I just love this tea! It’s not the most sophisticated, delicate blend, but it’s so so good! Un thé très très gourmand! I’m not sure how accurate the name really is. I definitely taste more...” Read full tasting note

From Dammann Freres

For those who love warm, delicious notes, Pecan Pie is a new, generously flavoured take on the traditional American Thanksgiving dessert. Try our gourmet combination of tasty dried fruit and nuts: pecan, hazelnut, almond, pistachio and a touch of honey.

Dominant note : Gourmet notes
Type(s) of tea : Black Tea
Main flavour : Hazelnut
Complementary flavour(s) : Pecan nut, Almond, Pistachio, Honey

About Dammann Freres View company

Sadly, I have a few teas from that DF group order from a couple years ago that I never wrote tasting notes for. This is one of them and seems like the right time to write a note. The black tea here is on the smaller side while the red flowers sure do add some visual appeal. It’d be a boring looking blend without them, as otherwise there is only flavoring. I do love a good homemade pecan pie.. will be making one within the next few days. I tried steeping with my new parameters for DF black teas, or flavored teas in general. The flavor to me seems mostly like marzipan (and the description for the tea does mention almond) so I think the flavoring is more marzipan than anything pecan pie related. It doesn’t even really seem nutty. Even just brown sugar flavoring would have made this seem more like pecan pie than marzipan. It’s not the worst tea, but the flavoring isn’t as accurate as I’d like.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// 14 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // couple minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Edited to add: This tea DID taste the same to me when I got it, so it’s not a matter of aging as far as I can tell.

Flavors: Marzipan

Kawaii433

Too bad I don’t like pecan pie but I do like saying it like i Harry met Sally. Pe-CAN Piiiiie. :D

Nattie

I thought the exact same thing with this one! Almond pie, sure. Pecan? Nope.

Mastress Alita

I’m not a southanah, but I do like some pe-can pie!

lizwykys

I don’t think DF actually know what pecans are. I’ve seen other comments about their “pecan” not tasting at all like pecan, and I run into titles of teas on their site where they call something “Pecan [Thing]” and list the main flavor as hazelnut. Not the same thing, DF!

tea-sipper

Hmm.. maybe their flavor creators are allergic to pecan so don’t know what it tastes like?

tea-sipper

Also, will be eating homemade pecan pie for dessert tonight. :D

lizwykys

Jealous!

Nattie

Lol, maybe they are confusing pecan with praline.

Dammann Freres Advent Tea Calendar
I think this one was Day 22. Maybe. Anyway, I quite enjoyed it. It was mild and nutty and sweetish without being cloying or sickeningly sweet. Possibly my favorite from the tea calendar thus far.

Home – 7:00 PM

The Great Cupboard Excavation
Untasted teas remaining: 45

Ugh, it’s so good to be home. I stayed a bit late at work to finish submitting a fix for a software bug, and then I needed to go to the grocery store after that. So I got home quite late, and I feel very worn out. Happily, I just took some chicken enchiladas out of the oven and am now in full potato mode on the couch, accompanied by Netflix and my knitting. And tea, of course!

To be honest, I’m not a fan of pecan pie. It’s too sugary, and that’s significant coming from me, lover of sweets of all kinds. This tea is tasty though! I’m not sure I would specifically call it pecan pie-flavored, as I taste almond and pistachio more than pecan. But the base tea is very nice and biscuity, which helps sell the pastry idea. There are notes of brown sugar or caramel as well.

It’s tasty! I’m not sure a tea could ever really represent pecan pie without sweetener, though, and I’m not one to add any.

Flavors: Almond, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Cookie, Marzipan, Nuts, Pastries, Pecan, Roasted nuts

I’m not sure how accurate the name really is. I definitely taste more almonds/marzipan, hazelnut and pistachio than I do pecans, but I don’t mind since I’m not crazy about real pecan pie which I find too sugary usually. But I do get the biscuit and honeyed sweetness, so this feels more like a “Inspired by the nuttiness and richness of Pecan Pie” than “Based on true Pecan Pie” rendition.

Bottom line, I just love all the nuttiness and pastry flavor. All my favorite flavors in one tea! So easy to drink!

It sounds like it should be a fall tea, but I catch myself reaching for it all year long, even in the summer when I want to indulge in something that feels rich and sweet. It’s like chocolate. Is there really a season for all this nutty goodness???? There can’t be!

Flavors: Almond, Hazelnut, Marzipan, Nutty, Pastries, Pecan, Sweet

Got this one from Cameron B. I really like it! It tasted like almond with no bitterness. I do wish I’d gotten more of a pecan pie feel from it, but it was very enjoyable. I’d drink this fairly often if I had more! A nice light flavor. Nutty teas are the best.

Another sample from my swap with greenteafairy. I was excited about this one, as I love pecan pie and nutty teas tend to be some of my favorites. Not sure the name quite fits this one, as I’m not getting much pecan flavor. It’s definitely nutty, but more almond/marzipan to my taste. It has a nice smooth base and just a hint of sweetness and overall it’s quite delicious…just not exactly what I was expecting.

Flavors: Almond, Marzipan, Nutty, Smooth

My thoughts exactly.

My tea from greenteafairy arrived! Woohooo! Apparently when your parents ask you who the mail’s from and you answer ‘green tea fairy’ you get some pretty strange looks.

I was going to leave this a day or so to settle but the scent through the packaging was just so heavenly I had to make a cup almost immediately (almost because I was still drinking my previous cup). Now I did ask for a sample of this because I’m trying to find a replacement (or as near to one as I can get) for my beloved Maple Pecan Oolong, and greenteafairy did warn me I’d be disappointed because she’s on the same mission, so I was a bit wary. She was right about me being disappointed as a replacement for Maple Pecan Oolong, but since I pretty much expected that already I wasn’t too disappointed with the tea overall. It’s pretty tasty! I’m a huge fan of nutty teas in general, and this is about as nutty as it gets. My issue lies with the name, and I have the same problem a lot of others seem to in that out of all the nuts in the tea, pecan is probably the least prominent and yet it’s the one they chose to name it after. If this was called ‘nut pie’ I have a feeling it would have a lot fewer disappointed customers. Aside from that it really is a very nice tea! The flavour is a little strong and perhaps slightly on the chemically-tasting side, but it’s not much and I can live with it. I brewed this at boiling, and was worried about astringency because the recommended temperature is 195, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it has no astringency whatsoever! I could happily drink this plain. I didn’t, though, because I wanted to try it with additives as I usually do the first time I drink a new tea before settling on how I like it best. With or without sugar, the almond flavour is most prominent, followed by the pistachio. I expected this from the scent, which was strongly marzipan-like. I added a splash of milk and the two flavours almost reversed, with the pistachio in the front of the sip and almond at the end. This became more pronounced as the tea cooled, too, and I’m thinking it might be to do with pistachio being a creamier flavour than almond. The pecan, which was nowhere to be found when I was drinking it black, peeks out a little at the very end of the sip with a pie crust sort of flavour that wasn’t there before either. It’s a really lovely, relaxing dessert tea, especially for a nut-lover, but it’s just not pecan pie. Thanks for the sample, greenteafairy!

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
greenteafairy

Oh, good tip about adding milk! I’ll have to try it that way.

Nattie

It still doesn’t taste like Pecan Pie haha.

This tea is totally misnamed. Pecan pie is a lie; it’s all almond. Actually, there is a hit of pistachio in the aftertaste, but it’s mostly almond. It’s quite sweet, but in a marzipan way—there’s no caramel or pastry going on here. I was hoping for something a little closer to my beloved Butiki Maple Pecan Oolong (despite this not being an oolong), but this is decidedly something else. There’s that same thin Ceylon base DF seems to use for just about all of their flavored blacks, and, as with a bunch of others, I feel like Pecan Pie could’ve benefitted from something a little more robust. All that said, this is a very pleasant tea. It probably won’t be a restock for me, but I’m glad to have the chance to try it—yay group order!

Nattie

Butiki’s Maple Pecan Oolong is my favourite tea of all teas! Forever searching for a replacement ):

greenteafairy

I know! I’ve heard good things about A Quarter to Tea’s version; someday when my tea stash is more under control I may try to go in on a reblend.

Nattie

Yep! Me too. A reblend of that is my only decent hope right now.

Advent Calendar day 1 ! (3 days late)
so, i’m watching Fantastic Four. yes! the most hated movie of 2015 haha.
and i think its bad yes. and dumb. it’s pretty dumb.
wheeee!
i also have to go to a 4 yr olds bday party in 20 min and i’m really not interested.
procrastination!

i ordered a bag of the pecan pie when i ordered the advent calendar. i don’t hate it but i wish i liked it more.
i suspect it will grow on me though. you know how that can happen with a tea.

Advent Calendar Day One

Hooray; it’s finally time to start drinking my advent calendar teas! This is the first year I’ve done a Tea related advent, and I’m super excited that this is the one I’m doing as I’ve admired this one specifically ever since I got into tea in the first place.

And this is a wonderful choice for the first tea as well because, when I placed the order for the advent as well as other teas, this was the one tea I didn’t order that I was REALLY back and forth on. So now I get to try it anyway! Can’t complain about that.

I really enjoyed this one a lot; but there was definitely something about it that missed the “Pecan Pie” mark for me. I did taste pecan notes, for sure, but more than anything else this one reminded me of almond/marzipan and pistachio. Actually, a whole lot of pistachio in particular. That really sweet nutty note was delicious but in my opinion is sort of lacked the almost “maple-y”/caramel sweetness that the filling of a Pecan Pie has or any of the bakery/confectionery notes you might see in a tea in order to replicate the flavour of the crust.

Though, this wasn’t completely devoid of nuance. While it didn’t do much to strengthen the idea of pecan pie in my mind I did feel like there were some more general warming spice undertones beneath all of the almond/pistachio sweetness. The kind of spice notes you get naturally from tea though, and not the sort that would result from added spices like cinnamon, etc. Still – it was a nice added layer of flavour.

As a “Pecan Pie” tea I think maybe this one is in need of a little bit of rebranding? I just don’t get that flavour drinking it – but as a nut melange sort of thing, I think it was really quite nice and smooth. I enjoyed the cup a lot! It was a really lovely way to start off the calendar…

Nattie

Gah, I’m so jealous! Next year. Next year I will get that calendar! I’m glad you mentioned that this tea misses the mark – I’m always looking for maple pecan teas to replace Butiki’s and now I can take this one off my list!

Roswell Strange