Grand Goût Russe

Bergamot, Bergamot Oil, Black Tea, Flavor, Flower Petals
Bergamot, Earl Grey, Lime, Malt, Citrus, Wood, Astringent, Earth, Mineral, Smooth
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

From Dammann Freres

The combination of the fresh and fruity energy of caviar lemon and the powerful fragrance of Calabrian bergamot gives this blend remarkable intensity in a new interpretation of a great Russian classic.

Dominant note : Citrus fruits
Type(s) of tea : Black Tea
Main flavour : Caviar lemon
Complementary flavour(s) : Bergamot

About Dammann Freres View company

Advent day 20! Pretty underwhelmed by this tea. So much citrus in the DF advent. Pretty standard lemon black tea.

#adventageddon Day Twenty – 1/6

Today was awesome, but not because of the advent teas. No, what was really amazing was finally meeting VariaTEA in person after seven years of tea swaps! We met up at the DT office where I got to give her a tour (and tease some upcoming teas) and have a quick little Gongfu session as well as a QC tasting, and then I gave her a frankly absurd amount of tea samples – followed by some poutine! It was absolutely lovely meeting you in person!!

Of course, I asked for hot water at the restaurant because I still had advent teas to get through today even it was the last day of work at the office before our holiday break and I was spending the afternoon with VariaTEA – this was the only bagged advent tea that I had left at this point, so it’s the one I made.

To be honest it wasn’t unpleasant but it was a little bit boring. I don’t know why there have been so many advent days where it’s just felt like the flavour profiles selected by tea companies have just overlapped, but there were two Earl Grey blends in today’s selections. This was definitely the better of the two (the other being Tea Revv’s Ice Cream Earl Grey) but I didn’t think there were any unique or differentiating notes in the cup. It was a good lunch tea, I suppose – since it was a reliable but typical EG profile.

Shae

What a fun day!

Leafhopper

That sounds like a fun tea meetup! Too bad I’m in Toronto. :(

@leafhopper….there are a few folks in Toronto on steepster, or nearby
@roswell so glad you guys got a chance to meet finally!

Sachet version.

I took it out of golden and woderful bag, and a lime aroma struck me. Then there were some bergamot notes too.

Tea itself have malty aromas, bit of citrus fruits, maybe even bit of smokiness.
Quite dark, copper colour. Clear.

In taste it is actually quite sweet. The lime flavour is really strong, but then a bergamot appears. I expected tea base much stronger. Overall, it is smooth, refreshing black tea. Enjoyable.

Flavors: Bergamot, Earl Grey, Lime, Malt

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 15 sec 10 OZ / 300 ML
ashmanra

I used to have a tea by DF called Gout Russe Douchka. It has been a while, but I remember it being very good.

Advent calendar – day 8

I’m not sure I should review this tea since Earl Grey’s are not my thing. I don’t think they taste bad per say, but it’s not my cup of tea :p. Still, I had promised myself I would try them all, so I gave this one a try. Ironically, I loved the smell of it. Bergamot and lime. Very bright and happy.

In the cup, I liked it much more than I thought I would! It’s a very mild earl grey. Very approachable for someone like me who doesn’t love bergamot (but ironically loves BB Detox from Kuzmi tea which is all grapefruit and very bold). I liked the hint of lime and its delicate approach. I enjoyed my cup and if a friend offered one to me, I would enjoy it. I just wouldn’t buy it for myself. My daughter who loves earl greys on the other hand, thought it tasted delicious. The lime adds something bright and happy in there. I’m definitely glad I tried it!

Flavors: Bergamot, Earl Grey, Lime

Day 9 of the Dammann Freres Advent Calendar

When I saw ‘Russe’ I imagined a Russian Caravan type smoky tea. Boy, was I wrong. This is bergamot. Or, as I think of it, Blechamot. However, the Earl Gray factor is pretty mild. I do get a hint of bright lime, although it is quite muted for me, which is a shame, as I think I would like that.

So this tea is not one I would order, but I’m glad to have tried it. I think someone who enjoyed a mild Earl Gray would quite like this one. There is no astringency to it or bitterness. Even with the bergamot I finished the cup. If a friend served this I would be able to drink it with some enjoyment.

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Lime

365 Days of Tea Challenge – Day 22

Earl Grey time! :D

This one is simple but lovely. The base has at least some Chinese black tea in it, as it has a nice smooth and mellow earthy flavor. I would guess that there’s Ceylon here as well, as it has a subtly astringent coppery note. It’s acidic enough that it’s a bit rough on my empty stomach.

The bergamot is restrained, and it’s in perfect balance with the black tea. The two complement each other well without either overpowering the other. It’s a lovely citrusy bergamot, and the added finger lime flavor really brings out the citrus notes, while also adding a nice brightness to the blend.

It’s really a good one, and a slightly more demure Earl Grey blend that would be perfect for the afternoon (or a lazy weekend morning!). Plus that gold tin is stunning! ❤

Flavors: Astringent, Bergamot, Citrus, Earth, Lime, Malt, Mineral, Smooth