Kiwi Fukuyu

Green Tea
Flavor, Flower Petals, Sencha
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Interesting, and very good. I’m wondering if the sodium level in our tap water has increased because many of my teas have been tasting salty lately. I couldn’t figure out what the heck I was...” Read full tasting note
  • “A delightful surprise from Le Calendrier de l’Apres from Dammann Freres this year. This was Day 2. I tried to find a translation for “Coup de coeur” in English but it’s giving me “heart stroke”....” Read full tasting note

From Dammann Freres

The vegetal, naturally fruity flavour of Fukuyu sencha is enriched with the bright and slightly tangy notes of kiwi, providing a delightfully refreshing tea.

Dominant note : Exotic fruits
Type(s) of tea : Green tea
Main flavour : Kiwi

About Dammann Freres View company

I couldn’t figure out what the heck I was tasting and smelling. I’m still not sure. There was a popcorn shop called What’s Poppin’ in the indoor strip mall in my hometown. This was like 25 years ago. Is it still there? There was a flavor called Tutti Frutti. That is this, tucked away in a tiny $2 sample bag in my quarter-century memory vessel.

In reality, Kiwi Fukuyu probably doesn’t taste anything like Tutti Frutti popcorn, but the light butter aftertaste only reinforces this notion. The sencha is very dark green. It’s very grassy-vegetal. It’s thick, it’s clean and mouthwatering, good astringency and bitterness, salty. Fruity of course. Kiwifruit? notsomuch. Candykiwiflavoring? yzyzyz. It all works quite well, the flavoring is in great balance with the tea flavor. Next time I go back to Ohio, I know what I have to do.

Like all DF I’ve steeped twice, this too is worthy of a second infusion.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Butter, Candy, Fruity, Grass, Popcorn, Salty, Smooth, Thick, Tropical, Vegetal

Cameron B.

Yum, I’ve been curious about this one so glad to see a favorable review!

derk

It seems like something you’d enjoy. I’d like to see your interpretation :)

I tried to find a translation for “Coup de coeur” in English but it’s giving me “heart stroke”. Not at all the feeling this tea gives me!!! But in French it means “Wow, I love it!” —much more in line with where I was going! ;p

Dry, it smells heavenly: fruity and fresh. Delightful kiwi. It’s quite strong and direct.

Brewed, the kiwi is softer but still deliciously present, and the green tea is most definitely there. I brewed it at 185 F for 2 min and 15 seconds because I was afraid it might go all wrong for me (I’m not a green tea person) and I’m glad I did. The kiwi flavor danses very well with the green tea. It’s both vegetal and fruity, but the green tea does not overpower the kiwi. It’s more that they make each other better.

I think someone who loves green tea would still love this one because the fruit doesn’t drown the sencha either. It’s very balanced.

I love the brightness of the kiwi and it reminds me a little of what Lupicia would create (minus the oolong slant): clean, fruity, fabulous tea . So delicious, I did not want my cup to end!

I bet it would taste fabulous iced (if I knew how to do it and make it come out right)

Flavors: Fruity, Tropical, Vegetal

This is one of the teas I most want to try from DF! :D

EmmaM

It came in my calendar or I would gladly share it! When I go to France, I think I will get some. Maybe I can send you some then?

Cameron B.

Oh you’re so sweet, don’t worry about me! I’m hoping there might be some interest in a Dammann Frères group order later in the year. ❤