Orange Pekoe (organic)

Black Teas
Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Caramel, Cocoa, Cream, Honey, Lemon, Malt, Orange, Roast nuts, Toast, Sweet, Mineral, Wood, Earth
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “I think I blocked this one from my memory out of sorrow. I had it yesterday, the last of my little pouch. My timer was in use at the moment, so I tried to eyeball the time. Turns out, I need...” Read full tasting note
  • “do any of you like to read memoirs? i especially like to read memoirs about depressed or abused or mentally ill girls. is that wrong to admit? well, it’s true. Unbearable Lightness, The Glass...” Read full tasting note
  • “I didn’t realize I never posted a review of this one – I bought it probably a year or so ago when I went on a bender of trying all of Davids’ unflavoured teas. Now, of course I know what a typical...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve been drinking a lot of regular ole’ black tea lately and decided to pick up an ounce of this on my way out of the mall (after I snatched up a Lupicia happy bag). My favorite for awhile now...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

The one
We’ve polled the entire country and this is, in fact, the perfect pekoe. The classic of all classics. The ultimate pick-me-up. The blend to turn to when you crave a good, honest cup of tea. Some say it evokes thoughts of warm comfort and familiar friends, others go off on tangents about doughnuts and red roses. Either way, everyone falls hard for this all-organic tea from top estates in Sri Lanka and Assam.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Smooth mouth-feel. Pleasant astringency. Sweet hay notes near the end of the sip.

3 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

Add milk and sugar, and it tastes like hugs. This is the most comforting tea in my cupboard, and the one I usually reach for most.

Amanda

Lol. You said it tasted like hugs! That’s so cute :)

I grew up with two kinds of tea: Red Rose and Twinings Earl Grey. Every night around 7 p.m., my dad would ask everyone in the family if we’d like a cup of tea, and 99% of the time, I chose the Red Rose. So, I grew up with Orange Pekoe, and thus, I am very, very fond of this tea. It’s the flavour of Red Rose, tidied up and amplified. This is my hug-in-a-cup tea, and it suits all my wildly varying moods. Who doesn’t love Orange Pekoe, though?

This is standard tea in my cupboard. I have it for those times when I just want tea, nothing special or fancy. I tend to have it with a hint of soymilk and raw cane sugar.
The tea is nothing particularly special. I find it lacks a little something…sort of empty or hollow tasting. It isn’t particularly full bodied, but it serves its purpose. I think its great to have on hand for those people who expect bagged orange pekoe (I don’t think we have any bagged tea anymore….).
I always refill the tin when it’s empty, but I don’t think I’ve ever craved this tea in an overwhelming way.

Faith

Whoa… it’s like you read my mind and wrote a review for me! This is EXACTLY how I feel about this tea, it’s alright, but not spectacular. And I too have never really craved this tea…

Day 81 of my 101 days of DAVIDsTEA challenge.

The tea has a nice full-bodied flavour to it, flowery with a bit of smoke. Probably one of my favourite straight blacks so far!

My mark for a good black tea is something that I can — and want to — drink with or without milk and sweetener. And this fits the bill. I tried it first plain, and had the rest of my first steep (which had by that time slightly oversteeped with milk and honey). It tasted wonderful both ways. The resteep wasn’t bad either. :)

Another one that I am tossing the last scoop or two of. I got this one because back almost a year ago I had someone say that I should keep orange pekoe in my cupboard for guests. Well, I got some and then it sat there and sat there. I started to drink what I had but honestly, I struggled to get through this one. I just love my Nepal Black and Honey Black so much more from Davidstea that to me this one is just boring… I don’t get a lot of flavours from it… Sorry orange pekoe. I wish I liked you more, but I just don’t…

Really no scent coming from the leaves, let’s hope there’s more flavour than there is scent!

All-in-all, not bad, but it’s not blowing me out of the water either. I’m used to Red Rose and Tazo Awake tea so maybe my taste buds are off? There is the taste of a black tea with hints of roses, but it’s rather weak. I want this to wow me! To sweep me off into a lovely tea-induced coma! Sadly, it’s dropped the ball. Oh well, at least I tried it right?

#ProjectTeaWall

This is a queued tasting note.

Had this one iced, almost a week ago, with a lot of added milk – and I mean A LOT. Obviously I’ve had Orange Pekoe before; just not the one that’s sold at DAVIDsTEA. So, had to cross it off the list but I made sure to have some fun with it/try it a new way too.

I mean, for Orange Pekoe this is pretty nice. It’s quite malty, and it has a sort of underlying nutty sweetness to it as well. I personally feel like it tastes a wee bit like walnut? The added milk really exaggerated the creaminess/malt notes of the tea, and it made for a surprisingly refreshing cup of tea. It also had hints of a sort of maple-y flavour, though perhaps that’s sort of me expanding on the sweetness of the walnut notes since maple/walnut is a bit of a given pair.

Honestly, if I’m going to drink a straight black I’d usually pick something better that plain Orange Pekoe, but this was enjoyable! It’s not something I’ll be clearing out tin space for or anything, but I wouldn’t feel bad recommending this to a customer for a basic black either.

Friendly reminder that I’m not currently numerically rating DAVIDsTEA blends as I’m currently seasonally employed there and it would be an obvious conflict of interest. Any blends you see with numerical ratings were rated prior to my employment there. These reviews are a reflection of my personal thoughts regarding the teas, and not the company’s.

VariaTEA

Soon you won’t be the sales associate saying “I’ve never had it personally but hear it’s…”. You will be the most well informed tea guide there is haha

Roswell Strange

That’s the goal!

VariaTEA

Next you will have to try everything as a latte so when people ask what’s the best latte you have an answer to that too :P

This morning I finally managed to finish the last of this tea. I had been working on polishing off a two ounce pouch since late September or thereabouts. I recently sent out half of what I had left in an exchange and focused on finishing up the remainder. Now I kind of wish that I still had a little of this on hand. It makes an excellent breakfast or early afternoon tea.

I prepared this tea using a one step Western infusion process. I steeped 1 teaspoon of loose tea leaves in 8 ounces of 205 F water for 5 minutes. I tried a slightly shorter 4 minute infusion at one point and a slightly longer 6 minute infusion at another (DAVIDsTEA recommends a steep time ranging from 4-7 minutes for this particular tea), but for me, the 5 minute infusion was the best. The other two produced good results, but I thought the 5 minute infusion was just about perfect. It produced a brew that had plenty of depth and character while not being particularly bitter, biting, or astringent.

After infusion, the dark amber liquor produced aromas of malt, brown toast, fresh bread, cream, caramel, cocoa, and roasted nuts. The leafiness I get from many Ceylonese teas was there too. It kind of reminded me of an autumn leaf pile. I have no other way to describe it. In the mouth, I got a pronounced leafiness coupled with integrated notes of malt, cream, fresh bread, brown toast, cocoa, caramel, wildflower honey, and roasted nuts. There was a slight citrus fruitiness too. It almost reminded me of a mixture of lemon and orange peel.

All in all, this was a really nice Ceylon OP. Compared to many of the other generic orange pekoes I have tried over the years, this one was very balanced and drinkable while maintaining an abundance of depth and character in the mouth. Normally, I find teas like this boring. I do not have that complaint with this tea. Check this one out if you are looking for a Ceylon orange pekoe with some actual flavor.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Caramel, Cocoa, Cream, Honey, Lemon, Malt, Orange, Roast nuts, Toast

Fjellrev

Haven’t tried this but you make me want to!

Teatotaler

I agree with you, Fjellrev! I was thinking the same thing! :)

Teatotaler

Just officially added to my wish list!

Shae

Same here – great note!

eastkyteaguy

Thanks for the kind words guys!

The classics are classics for a reason. Ceylon tea is about comfort. I had memories of drinking this tea from several years ago. Back then, it literally dotted my tastebuds like a fine talcum powder.

The tea leaf itself is thin and wiry, yet fairly small.

I used the whole 6g sample to brew and made sure everything was steaming hot to extract as much tannin as possible. I did two steepings of 3 minutes each.

The result was a nice balanced tea that wasn’t bitter. Adjust the strength with a little water, if you need to.

Without milk, with sugar this tea has that little bit of tartness that you need from a black tea.

With milk, on the second steeping it moved closer to Assam.

I get some of that classic ceylon taste for sure.

This tea or Ceylon Supreme should be fine for a daily.

There are a lot of different Ceylon teas out there. For something different, go to a third party that sells a large number of Ceylons. But this should do for your daily cuppa. :)

If you take a look at this pic, you can see the brown twig like pieces that are from the tea leaf. In an ultra high grade OP tea these would be as long as possible and without any leaf attached. They would yield a most mild cup of Ceylon. It’s as much about factory prowess as growing conditions.

6 g 14 OZ / 400 ML