Swampwater

Fruit Rooibos Blend
Artificial Flavouring, Calendula, Green Rooibos, Natural Flavours, Pineapple, Strawberry
Citrusy, Fruity, Passion Fruits, Citrus, Floral, Grapefruit, Honey, Sugar, Sweet, Pineapple, Strawberry, Tropical, Rooibos, Caramel, Oats, Fruit Punch, Wood
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Ms Cannibal

• “I made Swampwater iced cubes…and added them to a glass of plain water, one of Swampwater, and one of my lemonwater (a packet of True Lemon and Splenda) and the results were phenomenal! Each tasted...” Read full tasting note
  • “I feel like this is a tea that would do well as a seasonal Halloween item, but hey, I’m pretty happy that it’s available now so I’m not complaining. First, the appearance. The dry leaves look and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Okay, first things first. Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd is hopelessly stuck in my head. I blame the tea. Secondly, I haven’t had this tea in months. It is one of the first I bought at David’s Tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “So I went to dt a couple days ago and there was only one person in the store with me, and when I asked for this tea, the man came up to me and asked what it was. He says all he could smell was the...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

We called this tea Swampwater to keep adults away, but it doesn’t seem to work. Every time they taste it, they drink the whole thing down. Because the natural, tangy sweetness of green rooibos, guava, passionfruit and little candy sprinkles is just too irresistible. Even the murky green colour doesn’t scare them off. Maybe we should explain that it’s full of antioxidants. And caffeine-free. Reverse psychology…

Ingredients: Green rooibos, strawberry candies, sunflower, candy sprinkles, orange candies.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I really enjoyed this one, it colors the water an interesting bluish-green that I’ve never seen before in tea, and has a medley of flavors that tantalize your inner child. I found the leaves very fine…..and if you don’t have an infuser with close knit meshers or a mesh ball that clamps tightly you’ll find a bit of the tea leaves floating in your cup like logs or twigs. This really gave credence to its namesake. I’m not sure if this was an intended effect or not, but having to spit out the leaves during my first cup was a bit of annoyance. Overall it was a fun and enjoyable drink, I’d definitely purchase it again.

WOW! The second I saw it start to brew, I understood the name! I am very visual so the sight made me rethink my first sip, but it is delish! It reminds me a little of birthday cake. I added 1 tsp of German rock sugar, but I think it probably didn’t need it.

A Yum from me!

This tea is okay. Considering I don’t like green rooibos, it’s not bad. It is a green-brown colour, and will leave an orange ring around the top of your mug from the orange sprinkles (washes out). The smell after brewing is sweet and fruity. The taste is not so fruity to me, but more just the green rooibos with a hint of sweetness from the candy. It’s limited edition for Summer 2010, so it’s worth a try but you have to order soon before it’s all gone.

I am now onto my third episode of my Gilmore Girls re-watch, which means that it is time for another cup of tea.

Since I am attempting to drink through my tea cupboard, I decided to make a cup of Swampwater (which I had left over from Halloween).

When brewed, this tea, true to its name, is a swampish green; which some might find unappetizing. The aroma features a hint of citrus and fruit; it is delightful.

As for the taste, Swampwater is not ‘woody’ tasting like I find many other Rooibos teas. However, I am not all that impressed, overall. I mean, this tea is okay, I am just not that excited about it.

Flavors: Citrusy, Fruity, Passion Fruits

5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I loved this tea! It is one of my favorites and regret not buying a larger quantity. I was a little new to David’s Tea and didn’t realize that you couldn’t buy seasonal teas once they sold out. So hopefully this gets a revival next fall so I can stock up!

Flavors: Citrus, Floral, Fruity, Grapefruit, Honey, Sugar, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 15 OZ / 450 ML

This tea intrigued me when I saw it as a seasonal Halloween tea. I was even more interested in the claim that it turns dark green when steeped. I redeemed my frequent steeper points for a 50 g bag. It smells like strawberries and some kind of tropical fruit (maybe pineapple) and tastes similar to the way it smells. The tea definitely holds up to its claim of steeping dark green and looks cool if you drink it from a clear cup. I find that it is also best to steep this tea for quite a while (around 10 min for best results). I will enjoy this tea while I have it but I’m not sure if I would repurchase it if I could.

Flavors: Fruity, Pineapple, Strawberry, Tropical

8 min or more

My overall rating is “OK+”. I wouldn’t buy it again, but I’d drink it if I had it.

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 5 g 9 OZ / 266 ML

Sipdown (180)!

I made this one quite a while back like probably two weeks ago for everyone closing with me at DAVIDsTEA one night. I didn’t feel super guilty brewing this one up for everyone on shift because it IS a DAVIDsTEA blend; it just happened to be online exclusive this year. Still, it’s probably good for everyone working to have tried it/have familiarity with it…

I’ve gotta say, we all thouroughly enjoyed watching this one infuse in the gravity steepers we use; it went through such a beautiful array of green shades including a STUNNING emerald green before it landed on an almost black-like swampy olive hue. That it and of itself was its own show!

I really enjoyed the cup; I love the smooth, mellow strawberry notes in this blend a whole lot. Everyone else seemed to be in agreement with me as well with the small exception of Stirling who enjoyed the tea but did not believe me that it was a strawberry rooibos. He was CONVINCED it was some sort of sweet/dessert like green tea and that I was just messing with him.

VariaTEA

But it doesn’t taste like green tea?

Well THIS was a lovely surprise.

I think I saw this briefly at DAVID’s when I was first getting into tea and I though “ew, swampwater…” (maybe they should work on the marketing for that one). And then I saw it was a rooibos, which didn’t help its case. However, reading some of the reviews had me intrigued (plus brought to light the fact it’s a green rooibos, which I haven’t had a chance to try before now (at least that I know of)).

Well this truly lives up to the hype! Fruity with a hint of sour (really getting a kiwi vibe here). Not much else to say about it, but it’s good, not too sweet, and packed with flavour! I would like to see how it preforms cold. Will very much enjoy what I have left.

On a side note, the murky green it brews up to is not necessarily the most appealing, though it adds to its charm as a Halloween tea.

Fjellrev

Did they actually have this available in bulk or was this a TOTD? Or did you pick up that set? Because the sales associate told me the other day that in order to get any at all, I’d have to buy some set because they weren’t going to get it bulk. Hmm.

Fay

It was in a set. Which was fine with me because I hadn’t tried any of the other teas that came in it. I think you can also order it in bulk online, if you’re dying to get some.

Fjellrev

Ah ok, yeah, I have been tempted to order it online. Damn, was hoping they were bringing them into stores bulk after all!

MrQuackers

Not sold in bulk? I wonder who says this nonsense? :)

Fjellrev

The Swedish Chef does, that’s who.

Kristal

I hated that they didn’t sell spiced pumpkin in bulk either. Had to go and buy $50 on the DAVIDs website which I was trying to avoid. I bought $30-something in tea and a $20 gift card to make it work :/

Fjellrev

Yeah, I’m still considering doing the same but it’s so hard to justify having to drop $50 on random stuff all because of one tea.

Fay

Just a heads up, David’s is currently doing free shipping on all orders and there’s still some of this in stock.

Fjellrev

Thanks for telling me! I’m making an order right away. :)

I finally got a sample of this tea from someone and got around to trying it today. When I poured in the hot water, I thought ‘I can see why they called it Swampwater’ since the colour of the tea is a murky greenish. I really enjoy this tea, and I’m sad that I only had enough for one cup. Maybe I can get one more steep out of it. It tastes fruity, and I can definitely taste the strawberry in this, which is nice.

Flavors: Fruity, Rooibos, Strawberry