Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Sencha
Spinach, Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze, Sweet, Bitter, Grass, Salt, Smooth, Hay, Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Astringent, Roasted, Umami
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I was not sure what I wanted to drink today so I started going through my tea cabinet and I found this. Only 2 servings left on the bottom of the tin can, breathing all this air… how could I let...” Read full tasting note
  • “idk what i was thinking only bringing 3 teas with me to work. idk what i was thinking placing ANOTHER order to davidstea before the last one arrives. idk what i was thinking staying up till 1am...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yum! Another Advent Calendar sample. Not quite gone yet, but now there’s just a single cup left :) I think this tea’s a little old now, but it’s still tasty enough; I really love green teas that...” Read full tasting note
  • “Working through a bunch of old samples. I got this in a sampler pack and was wary of trying it because I haven’t had a sencha that I liked before. I do like this one though. It’s very light with...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love properly brewed sencha, but this is an interesting one. It is really hard to brew wrong unless you use boiling water, which is a no-no for green teas anyway. Regular sencha’s should be brewed at around 30s seconds to 1:30. This timing makes this sencha too weak. It almost tastes like a second brew to start with. 2 minutes is a perfect brewing time. I would recommend this as a “sencha for beginners” or “someone on a budget”, myself being the latter. It’s a good price for a mediocre tea.

Fish. No idea how I made it taste like fish but it does, and that’s not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe Sencha isn’t my thing. I haven’t had many green tea experiences other than flavoured greens, so I’ll try to muster up the courage to brew this one again and use a shorter steep time.

Update: Never tried this again because it made a nice gift to the boyfriend’s parents. And I always need an excuse to try something else ;)

Brewed up as iced tea. Good Sencha flavour and yellow colour. This one is from Shizuoka.

10g with 200 mL for 45 seconds to 1 min. Repeat 3 times total.

#ProjectTeaWall

Well, I’ve officially tried every single tea on the tea wall now apart from the one I’m allergic to. The completionist part of me wants to try that one too, but I think realistically I’ll have to leave it like this. Now I just have to maintain this by continuing to try every single tea we release as we release them!

This definitely isn’t an arbitrary “last tea” though; it’s a straight sencha and our lowest grade, at that. I don’t like Sencha and I certainly saved the worst one we carry for last because I just kept putting off making it. It was so slow today at work though, what with the holiday, that I bit that bullet.

This wasn’t TERRIBLE. I mean, it was drinkable and that’s a huge plus. Though I’m sure all the honey I added in definitely went a long way in making that statement possible. It was very marine/seaweedy and quite salty, even with the honey. As it cooled it picked up a more bitter/tannic sort of edge. Not my favourite.

But I did guys! I conquered the tea wall!

Evol Ving Ness

Congrats, Ms. Strange!

Tried this today – not my favourite. I’m not sure if it’s because of the brand, or I might just not like Sencha at all. My friend really likes it though – she’s the one I got it from!

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this sencha from David’s. I had a feeling it would be more of a straight-up sorta tea than the overly flavorful teas I’m used to from David’s.

The dry leaves had a distinct earthy and grassy aroma to it. The tea leaves themselves were long, and small thin pieces. Some of them almost looked slightly crushed. It’s interesting to note that the tea leaves are steamed as well.

Once brewed it had a pale yellow/green liquor to it. It tasted very similar to it’s smell – grassy, vegetal, and hints of earthiness. I was half expecting it to have a bitterness taste to it but it did not.

I found Japanese Sencha to be a refreshing and calming tea. I can see myself enjoying this especially after a heavy meal.

Very good green, good price too. I drink this one often, it keeps the price down. I reuse the leaves for about 3 – 4 cups each and they still have lots of flavor.

Quite liked this one, but nothing spectacular for a Sencha. I combined this with a little of the Peppermint to make a minty green tea.

Nuanced flavor. Very subtle. Wet and watery tasting. Very neutral, but not bad. This tea makes me think that I like teas that are richer in flavor. Very obviously steamed during processing.

Second brew is more mellow, but very similar.

Very hard to have more than 1 cups worth. It does not draw me in and bring me back for more.

Flavors: Spinach

Had this at work this afternoon. It was part of a gift set that I received from my co-worker for Christmas.

Smells nice and vegetal/grassy. Has quite a strong tangy aftertaste, but I probably overleafed/oversteeped slightly. Colour was interesting: almost neon lime green. Pretty good overall, a quality sencha. Aroma reminds me a bit of matcha.