Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Sencha
Spinach, Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal, Ocean Breeze, Sweet, Bitter, Grass, Salt, Smooth, Hay, Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Astringent, Roasted, Umami
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I was not sure what I wanted to drink today so I started going through my tea cabinet and I found this. Only 2 servings left on the bottom of the tin can, breathing all this air… how could I let...” Read full tasting note
  • “idk what i was thinking only bringing 3 teas with me to work. idk what i was thinking placing ANOTHER order to davidstea before the last one arrives. idk what i was thinking staying up till 1am...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yum! Another Advent Calendar sample. Not quite gone yet, but now there’s just a single cup left :) I think this tea’s a little old now, but it’s still tasty enough; I really love green teas that...” Read full tasting note
  • “Working through a bunch of old samples. I got this in a sampler pack and was wary of trying it because I haven’t had a sencha that I liked before. I do like this one though. It’s very light with...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I bought this for the second time yesterday! I really enjoy the flavor as it feels light to me. It is easy to drink because it doesn’t give me that “oh god I drank more than I should have…” feeling. Smooth, comforting and delicious. Not a low grade tasting tea leaf at all. :)

I haven’t actually had too many straight green teas so I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this.

I actually really enjoyed this. Vegetal, yes, but not overpowering. I got a real Japanese soup vibe from this, which is probably because of the seaweed notes. I could probably sip on this for a really long time before I got tired of it, but I’m not sure if I would go out of my way to pick some up.

Flavors: Broth, Salty, Seaweed, Vegetal

I’m not sure how I feel about this tea.
It’s got this weird flavor… I guess people are calling it briny or oceanic? I’ve never tasted that in a tea before, and I can’t decide whether or not I like it. (It’s interesting enough that I keep sipping, which is maybe promising.) Second steep has a sweet and salty aftertaste going on, almost scallopy. Huh.

Flavors: Ocean Breeze, Seaweed, Sweet

This is my second time trying this tea after having a cup prepared for me at the David’s Tea store. I actually got that as my free cup cause I wanted to get more into green teas. I liked it after trying it there so I bought a 2oz bag of it online.

I have to say, I think the reason why I didn’t like green tea before was because I was essentially burning the leaves and constantly getting bitter tea. (I finally got a temperature control kettle for Christmas) This tea is smooth and tastes like seaweed, salt and vegetal. After I brewed it, the smell was as if it was bitter so I was actually scared that I used water that was too hot but it was perfect.

I wanna see how many resteeps I can get out of the leaves.

Flavors: Bitter, Grass, Salt, Seaweed, Smooth, Vegetal

Advent calendar [16/24]

I was super looking forward to this one. I’ve made it a couple of times since I initially made it, and I’m thinking this tea needs a maximum of one minute to steep. I find it gets astringent really fast.

I like the plainness of this one. David’s doesn’t really do plain. I’m not sure I’d purchase this for myself because I think the territory for plain green teas is huge and unnavigated at this point.

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Seaweed, Smooth, Vegetal

Kristal

I like DAVIDs plain greens as well. They actually have a decent selection-more than a LOT of other more commercial companies (I’m thinking Steeped tea, celestial seasons, other bagged companies, etc).

This was one of the teas in my 24 Days of Tea calendar! I have never really had a straight green tea before, so I wanted to write a review on it.

This tea is better than I expected, though it is quite simple. I didn’t realize it had caffeine, so making it at 11:30pm was probably a bad idea haha (though at any other time I’d be fine with it having caffeine – I actually enjoy the caffeine). Perhaps I have let it steep longer than I should have (I’m not familiar with how to make straight green tea), but I find it to be kind of salty tasting. Maybe it’s just me? I’m not sure! I have noticed that people said it tastes seaweed-y, so maybe that’s what I am tasting. Not bad, just unexpected.

Overall, the tea isn’t awful. I am giving it a lower rating because I probably won’t buy any of it to keep a permanent stash. I’d drink it again, but I do prefer other David’s Tea green teas (ex. detox, toasted walnut, movie night).

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Salt, Seaweed

A simple green tea. Nothing fancy, but taste ok.

This is a normal straight green tea. It is not fancy and it tastes grassy and perhaps a bit bitter. When I want a simple straight green, I take this one.

A perfect green tea for anytime of the day! Super refreshing and smooth, I usually drink this tea in the morning before my run. It’s a very basic tasting green tea but sometimes basic is really all you need.