Mother's Little Helper (organic)

Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Cornflower Petals, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Rose Hips, Valerian Root
Fruity, Mint, Floral, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Medicinal, Tart, Flowers, Tea, Lemon Zest, Hibiscus, Lemon, Tangy, Herbaceous, Sweet, Herbs
Caffeine Free
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

• “I needed this tea tonight and was feeling super lazy, so I put it in a teabag and made it (my metal steeper still has sichuan caravan to drink tomo in it). The flavor is still pretty good, so...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ok, so I’m probably just the biggest whiner ever but I cannot handle not getting enough sleep. That’s the surefire best way to grump me up, and I gotta say that at 5:20 AM, with only 1 hour of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sooo for some reason I don’t have a rating on this tea when I know I have reviewed it a few times. Welp! Here’s my rating! haha I used 1 tsp instead of my usual 2 tsps. It tastes soo much better...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown!! (158) Thank you Cavocorax for sharing this with me. This tastes like a typical herbal tea, minty and nice but not something I ever crave. For that reason, it won’t be a restock but it is...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

The great escape

Need a little relaxation? Try running for the shelter of this mother’s little helper. It’s got organic valerian (aka “nature’s Valium”) to take the edge off your 24/7 reality. Plus there’s chamomile, peppermint and lemongrass for an added dose of tranquility. And pretty blue cornflowers just to make you happy. One sip and you’ll feel like you’ve spent the day at a spa. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: peppermint, lemongrass, rosehips, Fair Trade Certified hibiscus, chamomile flowers, valerian root, cornflowers. With natural peppermint flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I tried this at my Mother in Law’s house. This is one of those teas I’ve wanted to try for quite some time but never got around to doing so. The cup that I had was actually the second steeping of the leaves but I think I got a good enough idea of the tea to review it.

Why oh why did they put hibiscus in this tea? This tea would have been an easy 85+ rating if they didn’t. The hibiscus isn’t too bold but it’s still the main flavour, followed by peppermint and chamomile. I finished my cup, but I don’t like hibiscus and I’m glad I didn’t purchase this tea.

This tea was a huge disappointment.

Flavors: Hibiscus, Mint

meakbot

I couldn’t agree more – I dislike this tea and wanted to like it so very badly. I’m trying to unload my stash on someone :/

Kristal

Have you tried doing a tea swap? That’s how I got rid of some of my tea recently.

I’m thankful I didn’t purchase this tea and instead just tried some at my Mother In Law’s house. Saved me some money!

meakbot

I’m working on a few right now – this site is excellent for organizing them (no wants my darn MLH though haha)

Kristal

I agree, I love the cupboard option and seeing which tea is the oldest.

If you can’t get rid MLH, maybe try mixing it with a tea you do like? or fish out a bunch of the hibiscus pieces and toss them? That’s what I would do anyways :)

M

I totally agree about this one. I don’t know why it’s one of their most popular teas. I think the combination is hibiscus and mint is awful.

Kristal

Agreed. So many of their fruit teas/ herbal teas have hibiscus and I just go WHYYY.

Everytime there’s a seasonal tea collection I mentally cross off all the black teas (can’t have them due to a sensitive stomach :( ) and any tea with hibiscus. That usually eliminates half of every season collection if not more. This goes for new “tea of the month” teas as well. To be honest I’ve tried very few of their new teas because none of have really suited my palate :(.

MLH + Melatonin + SVU = My favorite way to spend an evening. Seriously. This is MEDICINE – the flavor is besides the point. It’s a typical herbal taste mix but full of tranq-y goodness and enjoyable enough to sip while watching Liv & El take down those pedos, pervs and other sexually based offencers. Is it time for bed yet? Recommended AND Required (for life).

7 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML

Backlog.

I drank this about a week and a half ago bc I was sick and dying and I couldn’t move out of bed and I wanted a tea just to make myself feel better and this one smelled healthy and I tasted it and it was quite possibly the most foul tea I’ve ever tasted I hate it so much I drank two sips and threw it down the drain it was gross.

I really like this blend – taste, smell, the lovely pink colour (in some steeps)… I still dislike that herbal teas don’t resteep well :(. After one cup I feel the tension in my body melt away a little bit. Even if it’s not the valerian root and is just a placebo, it works and that is awesome. Waaay more expensive than my Herbaria lemon balm bags but it will be nice to have once in a while to mix it up.

Mother’s Little Helper does wonderful things for me:
It tastes and smells great; minty, herby, slightly sweet.
Gives me a happy warm full belly.
Makes me feel much better when I am sick.
Makes me feel super relaxed when I am stressed.
Makes me feel sleepy when I am wired.
And gets the Rolling Stones song by the same name stuck in my head.
I drink it infrequently and mix it half and half with DAVIDs organic Chamomile. Enjoying this tea full strength and frequently will be one big plus for when baby weans, whenever that may be.

Bought this after having slept like 4 hours each night for a week due to stress, and my prescription stopped helping. Took it about an hour before I slept, and it knocked me straight out. Slept very soundly. This tea is great. It smells mostly like lemon grass and vaguely “good”.

1 tsp

Having a second cup (drank the first before I thought about logging) to just calm and chill down at work. Tea, soothing away the stress.

1904 tasting notes

I got a small tin of this tea as part of a DT gift box with a neat customizable travel mug. It’s a pretty standard minty-flavoured herbal tea – I’ve drank many like it. It’s pleasant though with the mint and lemongrass covering the flavour of the valerian. It definitely has sedative properties so I’d advise drinking this one before going to bed.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

The past two days have been a bit rough, so I went out last night and picked up some of the Spring collection from DAVIDsTEA. I ineptly brewed a cup of Strawberry Fields this morning. I think I should stay away from black tea until I can brew it properly.

As my jaw and shoulders are very tight with tension, I made one of my favourites. This tea never fails to relax me. I want to pick up The Big Chill soon so I can have a bit of variety with my verbenas.

Flavors: Floral, Mint

Fjellrev

I hope you’ll feel better soon. :(

Lisa Elizabeth

sren

I know it’s a tough week when I turn to MLH in the morning. I’m curious—and learning :) —what do you think went wrong with your black tea brewing?

This was good, but not very original. Most herbal teas I’ve had use mint to kind of cover up what I assume are more medicinal, less appealing flavors. I do like mint, but I wasn’t wow-ed by the flavor. As for the relaxing benefits, I was already pretty relaxed as it was right before bed. I didn’t have trouble falling asleep…but I don’t have trouble with that too often so I am probably a poor test subject. Glad to have tried a sample though.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML