Mother's Little Helper (organic)

Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Cornflower Petals, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Rose Hips, Valerian Root
Fruity, Mint, Floral, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Medicinal, Tart, Flowers, Tea, Lemon Zest, Hibiscus, Lemon, Tangy, Herbaceous, Sweet, Herbs
Caffeine Free
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

• “I needed this tea tonight and was feeling super lazy, so I put it in a teabag and made it (my metal steeper still has sichuan caravan to drink tomo in it). The flavor is still pretty good, so...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ok, so I’m probably just the biggest whiner ever but I cannot handle not getting enough sleep. That’s the surefire best way to grump me up, and I gotta say that at 5:20 AM, with only 1 hour of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sooo for some reason I don’t have a rating on this tea when I know I have reviewed it a few times. Welp! Here’s my rating! haha I used 1 tsp instead of my usual 2 tsps. It tastes soo much better...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown!! (158) Thank you Cavocorax for sharing this with me. This tastes like a typical herbal tea, minty and nice but not something I ever crave. For that reason, it won’t be a restock but it is...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

The great escape

Need a little relaxation? Try running for the shelter of this mother’s little helper. It’s got organic valerian (aka “nature’s Valium”) to take the edge off your 24/7 reality. Plus there’s chamomile, peppermint and lemongrass for an added dose of tranquility. And pretty blue cornflowers just to make you happy. One sip and you’ll feel like you’ve spent the day at a spa. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: peppermint, lemongrass, rosehips, Fair Trade Certified hibiscus, chamomile flowers, valerian root, cornflowers. With natural peppermint flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is a very strong tea. The scent is intoxicating (in a good way). So calming, it makes me feel super drowsy just by smelling it. I can never quite remember what it tastes like because I go to bed shortly after drinking it… but here’s my problem.
I find that it is very difficult for me to wake up in the morning after drinking it. And even while I’m falling asleep and feeling extremely drowsy (and quite lovely at first) I become a bit restless and actually seem to have a less comfortable time falling into sleep than if I hadn’t drank it at all.
I’m not sure what to make of it, whether it’s good or bad. I like how it makes me feel at first, but it’s fickle in its effects sometimes. It can always make me drowsy, but it doesn’t always guarantee a good night’s sleep.

Malgré tout les bons commentaires lus sur ce thé, je ne l’aime pas… Probablement l’hibiscus, dont je m’aperçois que je n’aime pas tant le goût…

Hoping to get some restful sleep tonight, this tea is instantly soothing and calming. It tastes like…I dunno like an herbal, sweet and lightly floral and homey and zzzzzzzz. Definitely tastes like chamomile, but that’s an excellent thing tonight.

Very nice bedtime tea. One of my first pickups from David’sTEA and definitely one of my favorites. Very light but has a good flavor. Turns red when you let it steep.

Boiling 8 min or more

Great for a lazy rainy day or for a drink before you go to bed.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Medicinal, Tart

If I had to give this a number based on what it should taste like it would pretty low. Giving it a number the way I make it, well it’s not possible to give a tea a negative number. I’m taking this for insomnia because my doctor’s prescriptions don’t work anymore and I haven’t been able to convince her to prescribe something else. While I do think it’s time I found a new doctor I’m hoping this works for tonight. I brewed this with 6 tsp leaf, 4 tsp valerian root, and four eye droppers full of valerian root extract. I’m hoping it helps me sleep. It tastes positively vile even with added maple syrup and agave nectar.

Boiling 8 min or more 6 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

Hope it works

AllanK

Not at all. I seem to have developed a tolerance for valerian.

Ubacat

That does sound vile! I have noticed myself that one valerian capsule always used to put me to sleep but I need two now. So definitely it becomes less effective unless you take a good long break from it. I think there are a few other herbs to help you sleep. Holy basil isn’t a sedative but can be calming. There are plenty of teas out there with holy basil (Tulsi tea) in them.

Kirkoneill1988

what makes it taste vile? :/

AllanK

Valerian root tastes particularly nasty. But it’s supposed to help you sleep.

AllanK

Valerian root has a nasty taste but is supposed to help you sleep.

Evol Ving Ness

I have a bagful of stuff that I am trying one at a time.

Currently, it is calcium/magnesium and melatonin. So far so good. (It’s only been two days though.)

A lot of things in this category can’t be used for long, so it is good to have an assortment to change things up.
AllanK

I’ve tried melatonin in the past. Didn’t work for me.

Kirkoneill1988

@AllanK, sounds good for sleep but nasty to taste

Kirkoneill1988

@AllanK, melatonin really screwed up my sleeping. made me sleep too much

Evol Ving Ness

Melatonin apparently needs calcium/magnesium to boost it AND the best dosage is 1 mg. taken less than an hour before bedtime. Work apparently but is somewhat finicky. It does not work for people who do not have a melatonin deficiency, so perhaps you are one of those people.

I really do enjoy this tea. It’s perfect at night when you want to wind down for the day. The mint, chamomile, and lemongrass work really well together.

This tea is just fine and satisfies I specific craving I sometimes have. I would drink it any day but I don’t particularly enjoy or love it. It reminds me of the tea my grandma would give to me when I was a little girl, the kind of boring tea that is nice with cookies. Sometimes I just crave this kind of tea, for me it does not stand out on its own but it goes well with baked goods. The hints of peppermint make it a bit more fun then just any old tea though.

(Basically it is a staple to own something like this for myself, but it is not a tea I would look forward to as a treat. )

Flavors: Flowers, Peppermint, Tea

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This may be my most consistent tea from David’s Tea. It’s definitely my favourite caffeine free tea :). This is a really nice for the end of the night. And it’s easy to make in that there isn’t s strict steeping time. Its delicious with nothing added to it.