Mother's Little Helper (organic)

Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Cornflower Petals, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Rose Hips, Valerian Root
Lemongrass, Peppermint, Floral, Fruity, Medicinal, Tart, Flowers, Tea, Lemon Zest, Hibiscus, Mint, Lemon, Tangy, Herbaceous, Sweet, Herbs
Caffeine Free
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

From DAVIDsTEA

The great escape

Need a little relaxation? Try running for the shelter of this mother’s little helper. It’s got organic valerian (aka “nature’s Valium”) to take the edge off your 24/7 reality. Plus there’s chamomile, peppermint and lemongrass for an added dose of tranquility. And pretty blue cornflowers just to make you happy. One sip and you’ll feel like you’ve spent the day at a spa. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: peppermint, lemongrass, rosehips, Fair Trade Certified hibiscus, chamomile flowers, valerian root, cornflowers. With natural peppermint flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

If I had to give this a number based on what it should taste like it would pretty low. Giving it a number the way I make it, well it’s not possible to give a tea a negative number. I’m taking this for insomnia because my doctor’s prescriptions don’t work anymore and I haven’t been able to convince her to prescribe something else. While I do think it’s time I found a new doctor I’m hoping this works for tonight. I brewed this with 6 tsp leaf, 4 tsp valerian root, and four eye droppers full of valerian root extract. I’m hoping it helps me sleep. It tastes positively vile even with added maple syrup and agave nectar.

Boiling 8 min or more 6 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

Hope it works

AllanK

Not at all. I seem to have developed a tolerance for valerian.

Ubacat

That does sound vile! I have noticed myself that one valerian capsule always used to put me to sleep but I need two now. So definitely it becomes less effective unless you take a good long break from it. I think there are a few other herbs to help you sleep. Holy basil isn’t a sedative but can be calming. There are plenty of teas out there with holy basil (Tulsi tea) in them.

Kirkoneill1988

what makes it taste vile? :/

AllanK

Valerian root tastes particularly nasty. But it’s supposed to help you sleep.

AllanK

Valerian root has a nasty taste but is supposed to help you sleep.

Evol Ving Ness

I have a bagful of stuff that I am trying one at a time.

Currently, it is calcium/magnesium and melatonin. So far so good. (It’s only been two days though.)

A lot of things in this category can’t be used for long, so it is good to have an assortment to change things up.
AllanK

I’ve tried melatonin in the past. Didn’t work for me.

Kirkoneill1988

@AllanK, sounds good for sleep but nasty to taste

Kirkoneill1988

@AllanK, melatonin really screwed up my sleeping. made me sleep too much

Evol Ving Ness

Melatonin apparently needs calcium/magnesium to boost it AND the best dosage is 1 mg. taken less than an hour before bedtime. Work apparently but is somewhat finicky. It does not work for people who do not have a melatonin deficiency, so perhaps you are one of those people.

I really do enjoy this tea. It’s perfect at night when you want to wind down for the day. The mint, chamomile, and lemongrass work really well together.

This tea is just fine and satisfies I specific craving I sometimes have. I would drink it any day but I don’t particularly enjoy or love it. It reminds me of the tea my grandma would give to me when I was a little girl, the kind of boring tea that is nice with cookies. Sometimes I just crave this kind of tea, for me it does not stand out on its own but it goes well with baked goods. The hints of peppermint make it a bit more fun then just any old tea though.

(Basically it is a staple to own something like this for myself, but it is not a tea I would look forward to as a treat. )

Flavors: Flowers, Peppermint, Tea

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This may be my most consistent tea from David’s Tea. It’s definitely my favourite caffeine free tea :). This is a really nice for the end of the night. And it’s easy to make in that there isn’t s strict steeping time. Its delicious with nothing added to it.

Fighting to get on some sort of reasonable sleeping schedule again. So easy to fall off the wagon.

This tastes like peppermint and lemony camomile with the slightest hint of valerian bitterness. I’d like a bit more hibiscus or rose hip tartness. Like a classic sleepytime tea with a sledgehammer hiding in the back room.

High marks for getting the job done.

Flavors: Lemon Zest, Peppermint

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

While there’s nothing unpleasant here, I have a feeling that people are drinking this tea more for its soothing effects than the flavor. I’m getting a light mix of lemongrass, mint, and hibiscus — tastes fine, but unremarkable. It IS relaxing though, so points for that.

Oooo, it smells so pepperminty, and the hibiscus makes it a bright red color—not like a candy apple dyed red, but a natural burgundy. So pretty in my glass teapot. :) I love the whole chamomile flowers in there. It looks like a tea my sister would mix together (she’s recently gotten into mixing her own medicinal teas).

It’s a little too sour to skip the sweetener… dumps in a an entire packet of stevia

It has a sour medicinal smell, possibly from the valerian root and rose hips. Not complaining.

Not too fruity for me not to enjoy hot—I think that’s the peppermint and lemongrass toning down the hibiscus and rose hips. Pretty darn good.

Flavors: Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

daily resolution 7/14
Reviewing in retrospect. TBH, I don’t remember much about it. Given that I usually dislike herbal teas, that means this one must have been fine.
Will finish off the sampler and update this note later.

Flavors: Floral, Lemongrass, Mint

What a great evening tea. The dominant flavour is peppermint, but the lemongrass and chamomile are very noticeable too. It had a relaxing smell and a soothing flavour. The downside? My cats think this stuff is liquid catnip, I can’t take my eyes off it for a second or they will be rubbing all over my cup and dipping their paws/faces in the tea. Also, over steeping brings out too much hibiscus.

Flavors: Floral, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint