Creme Caramel Rooibos

Rooibos Tea
Brown Sugar, Butterscotch, Caramel, Creamy, Pastries, Rooibos, Sugarcane, Sweet, Vanilla, Cookie, Cream, Toffee, Wood, Molasses, Nuts, Smooth, Burnt Sugar, Straw, Thick, Tobacco, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “So this was an unexpected purchase today, I went into the store wanting to get 4 teas, and then the clerk suggested this, I smelled it, and wanted to try it. Was stuck between this and the creme...” Read full tasting note
  • “so uh this was supposed to be a tasting note…and on the way to get here i stopped by a conversation on FB and then i had to draw a picture…let me tell you…MS paint is a PITA! anyway i digress… i...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to TeaEqualsBliss for sending me this gem! While I don’t tend to favor rooibos blends, one sniff and I knew this would be good. It smells like a caramel macchiato! I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Have you smelled this tea? Well, have you?? If you have this tea in your possession go smell it immediately… it’s okay, I’ll wait. … I know, right? A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! My sister...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Sheer decadence

There are few dessert teas more satisfying than Crème Caramel Rooibos. Smooth, sweet and creamy, it’s a taste sensation. And the best part is it’s made with South African rooibos, which is caffeine-free, nutty and naturally sweet. So indulge in a caramel dream. With virtually no calories, it might be the healthiest thing you do all day.

Ingredients: Red Rooibos, caramel pieces, artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Day 13 of the 2016 advent calendar! I have a very tough final this evening so I have to make this review quick. It smells very vanilla-y, but not so much that you can’t smell the rooibos.

Steeped, it turns the typical rooibos color and smells a bit more heavy on the red rooibos base. In terms of taste, to me its just a rooibos with some creamy vanilla notes on top. It’s quite tasty for this cold morning.

Overall, I can see why David’s has this as a bit of a staple, it’s a pretty decent flavoured rooibos. Doesn’t really taste like creme caramel to me because the rooibos flavor is so strong, but its still not bad.

#ProjectTeaWall

Passed this one over so many times not because I didn’t think I’d like it but because I was such a huge fan of the now discontinued Creme Brulee and I always wanted a cup of that one instead. And then after Creme Brulee was discontinued I bought so much of it that I haven’t had a need to try this as an alternative.

I will be drinking this one again ‘cause my sample was actually large enough for two cups since this IS a light tea – that’s probably good ‘cause while I can taste the mug I’m currently sipping I don’t know how much of the flavour is the “true” flavour of the tea since I am sick with a cold and I know that’s affecting my sense of taste at least a little bit.

Honestly, what I do taste is really nice though. I mean, the rooibos base does seem more apparent to me than Creme Brulee’s was, and maybe that’s ‘cause this is straight up red rooibos while Creme Brulee utilized both red and green rooibos. However the caramel notes are sweet, creamy, silky, and smooth and very rich. While it mostly is a delicious caramel profile with hints of that more ’burnt sugar’/bruleed sweetness I do think the flavour is a little flat/one dimension. I mean, it’s tasty as hell but there’s no layering of flavour or nuance to it. I liked that Creme Brulee had the caramel like notes but also custardy and vanilla elements as well to add more depth.

Still though; yummy and probably perfect for a really good latte. When I do drink this again, when I’m not sick, perhaps I’ll do a side by side of this and Creme Brulee. I want to taste this again with a ‘tip top’ palate, but I think it’d also be good to see how it holds up to Creme Brulee and whether or not, maybe, I’m idealizing the latter in my head a little bit?

Friendly reminder that I’m not currently numerically scoring DAVIDsTEA blends as I’m seasonally employed there and it would be a conflict of interest.

Kristal

I think Steeped Tea had a very similar tea to Creme Brule called Creme Carmello: http://www.steepedtea.com/fallwintercatalog_2016v2/#p=33

Memily

I’m always so confused when they get rid of wonderful teas and add lesser ones to the range. Please stop :‘( I’m still desperately hanging onto my last 100g of Fantasy Island.

Backlog from yesterday! For some reason, I totally forgot to log some of the new teas I tried.
Well, this isn’t actually new, but I have not logged it before so it still counts.

The rooibos comes off very strong, but I like it. There is a lot of sweetness, which is why I like this as a dessert tea in the morning or after dinner. It is fantastic with milk (try it with vanilla soy/almond milk!) but I wouldn’t add sugar to this already sweet blend.

The caramel and cream are quite evident. I do like the vanilla, creamy, and caramelised sugar notes I’m getting. It kinda tastes a little like those small squares of creamy caramel ,which I’ve never liked, but it has a very butterscotch/classic caramel flavour going on.

Flavors: Butterscotch, Caramel, Creamy, Pastries, Rooibos, Sugarcane, Sweet, Vanilla

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

I tried this tea before and did not like it so much. A year has passed and I bought DavidsTea Advent Calendar this year and this tea was in it. So I decided to give it another try and it was really good this time around. Me likes.

I got this tea as an in-store exchange for Jumpy Monkey (which was gross, by the way) and am much happier as a result. The taste of this rooibos blend is different than the cake-flavoured rooibos that I have tried before – different in a good way! I love caramel – and it’s much less greasy, due to the lack of sprinkles or chocolate chips.

I highly recommend adding the tiniest bit of milk to the cup, and pairing this tea with a scone, same as I eventually did. Delicious!

Flavors: Caramel

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This is my go-to tea for at night. Such an amazing smell, and the taste is none too sweet!

Flavors: Caramel

6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Day #17 of tea!

How have I never completed a tasting note for this one before now? Oh well, it’s getting done now, haha. This was an excellent treat this afternoon, after I got in from a walk (brrr, it was cold). There are other rooibos teas I like better than this one (cinnamon chai being the main example), as I’m not as crazy about caramel/toffee teas as some others tend to be. But I liked this, with the usual addition of milk, and I’ve got enough of the sample left for another couple of cups, so that’s good.

Enjoyable cuppa last night. I have been craving caramel lately for some reason. This fit the bill!

This one of the teas that I keep coming back to when I am in the mood for rooibos, but not something too flavoured or too sweet.

I didn’t have high hopes for this cup as the dry leaf I had left only had one caramel bit, which I am not certain that my teaspoon managed to grab, in it.

Nonetheless, I steeped it at lower temperature, like I do with all rooibos and honeybush, and here I am with a lovely cup of caramel tea. There is a bit of sweetness supported by the woody heft of rooibos.

I like it. I am pleasantly surprised that this tea does not necessarily require the caramel bits in the leaf to be good. Of course, I would seek out more caramel bits if possible.

Nice.

Flavors: Caramel, Rooibos

Today this finally tastes a bit caramel-y. It’s got some nutty, woodsy notes to it which is interesting but I finally taste the creamy sweet caramel (and a bit of molasses.) I hope this tea keeps it up because I really want a good caramel tea in my collection!

Flavors: Caramel, Molasses, Nuts, Wood