The Earl's Garden

Blue Cornflowers, Calendula Petals, Ceylon Black Tea, Strawberry
Bergamot, Smooth, Berries, Earl Grey, Floral, Fruity, Rose, Strawberry, Berry, Astringent, Perfume, Lemon, Earth, Sweet, Citrus, Bitter
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

2 Images

• “It’s being held hostage in my travel mug. I can’t get the top to open and I can’t get it to ACTUALLY open either. Cries. I managed a sweet few sips out of it because it leaks…time to find a new...” Read full tasting note
  • “Love this one in the hot weather. Juicy berries, citrus, and a good, strong tea base to keep your energy from flagging. I give it a shortish, slightly cooler than boiling steep to keep the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Made this one as a cold brew. Brewed for about 8 hours. I think I prefer this one as a hot brew vs a cold brew. There is more strawberry, raspberry taste as a cold brew. However, the artificial...” Read full tasting note
  • “To be fair, my stash of this is getting on in age (1 year? 1.5?)but today’s cuppa was just not great. There was no bergamot, and only a light hint of fruit to mask the black tea that went bitter...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Berry Bounty
When he wasn’t in China discovering secret tea recipes, Britain’s second Earl Grey lived at Howick Hall in England, just like his ancestors had done since 1319. And also like his ancestors, he was a keen gardener and outdoorsman. This tea would no doubt have suited him, with the characteristic black tea and bergamot highlighted by strawberries, raspberries and essence of black currant.

Ingrendients: Black Ceylon tea, strawberries, blue cornflowers, calendula petals, natural and artificial bergamot and strawberry flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea was kind of disappointing. I got it as a gift, and it sounds like it would be a great tea, but on first sniff it smelled strongly of berry bubblegum. Fruity to the max, but in an artificial kind of way. Once steeped, the flavour is very similar to the scent. The bubblegum is slightly toned down, but it’s still not the true berry flavour I would have liked.

I had a friend over who quite liked this tea, and the friend who gifted it to me loved it, too, so I think I’m the only one who’s getting this artificial kind of bubblegum note.

I’m not the one for fruity teas but I really enjoyed this one.

It smells very strongly of fruit and there’s definitely a high citrus note in there. The fruit smell is quite pungent to a point where it overpowers the bergamot of the earl grey.

When I steeped it, it retained a lot of it’s fruity qualities but it’s not nearly as intense as Bear Trap. It’s more than just a hint of fruitiness. I adore earl grey but this tea isn’t as strong as the ones I usually drink. Regardless, I was still surprised how much I liked this tea.

I usually drink this with some honey.

Omg this tea is amazing. I <3 anything Earl Grey, and had this with a bit of milk and sugar and it’s delicious!

Flavors: Bergamot, Smooth

It’s a fruity Earl Grey, no surprises here. I actually get strawberry from this, but it’s a little on the sour side, especially if this tea steeps more than two minutes. Glad I tried it, but I’m not sure it’s the Earl for me.

This used to be my favorite tea but it’s recently changed to be much more artificial. It does not taste the same at all.

1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Sipdown!

I had 1/2 tsp of this left, so I made a small cup (200mL water, steeped 6 minutes). IT is a bit weak, but whatever.

Flavours of berry, fruit, lemon, and slightly astringent black tea (I believe this is ceylon. No bergamot, but my sample isn’t as fresh as I would have liked. It isn’t as good as last time I drank this. Perhaps I’ll pickup more in the future.

Flavors: Berries, Berry, Fruity

0 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML

Toted 16 oz of this along with me to tutoring today after dressing it up with a little milk and the juice of a tiny wedge of lemon. The blend itself is gorgeous and seeing the little blue petals fall out of the bag I’ve left untouched for nearly a year had me wondering how I could have avoided this one for so long.

I really care for bergamot in general, and it’s there with a perfume-y presence right at the nose, both with the dry blend and the lingering scent of the brewed tea. The lemon wedge brings this fragrance through to the taste, and the milk offsets the acidity of the black leaf. The drinking experience, with the dairy factored in, is something of a Strawberry Creme Saver—remember those?

This is definitely one of DAVID’s better blacks, but I think I’d like to sample higher-end earls before purchasing this one again. Any recommendations out there?

Flavors: Astringent, Bergamot, Earl Grey, Perfume, Strawberry

6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

1915 tasting notes

I was starting to resent this tea. This tea was keeping me from drinking better teas. This tea was keeping me from drinking newer, better, more interesting teas. It was taking up valuable space in my cupboard! It had to go.
And so, today, it did. I brewed it up, and kicked it to the curb.
Bye bye, Earl’s Garden. Get lost.

Evol Ving Ness

Hahaha. Well done getting rid of that freeloader.

Super Starling!

That’s how I feel about their Earl Grey Cream. It’s oh-kay, but it’s not super, and I want to try new things.

Cold Brew from yesterday…

This one doesn’t have the worst flavour in the world, I just wish that the strawberry notes were a lot less artificial tasting. Add on top of that the fact that, even as a cold brew, it comes out astringent as heck.

Need to start looking for a new flavoured Earl Grey alternative… Suggestions?

Daddyselephant

My wife is a huge Earl Grey fan and her favorite flavoured Earls come from Red Leaf Teas.

Roswell Strange

Hmm; never thought about ordering from them before for non matcha things, but I’ll definitely take a poke around the site! I’m actually not a HUGE EG fan, but I like having something plain around for the occasional time I want EG and for guests who aren’t super adventurous, and I like having something with a bit of a twist as well.

So fruity and strong! So so so good.
Not bitter or astringent at all. Aroma is intense!
Second steep was great. Probably could’ve gone for a third.

Flavors: Strawberry