Ok, I tried it again. This time I put 1 cup of water on the stove to heat up while I measured the 6g of tea (and picked out all the orange candies, and ate them for their sins). The water was boiling by the time I finished with that, so I dumped in the tea, put a lid on, turned the heat down, and let it simmer for 5min. I tasted the tea at this point at it was terrible. Like, horribly bitter. I was thinking that this was never going to work, but I went ahead and added 1 cup of milk, 2 tsp of sugar, and then stirred constantly over high heat until it started to simmer again. Then strained into a mug.
So it’s actually pretty good. I don’t think it’s much different from the version that involved simmering everything in milk + water. This is good news, because I’m pretty bad with anything that involves heating milk on the stove – too many past experiences with burning the milk or having everything bubble up and overflow, lol. This way seems easier. Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the idea of a tea that requires sugar and milk to make it worth drinking. Having said that, I don’t think I’ll have any trouble finishing up the rest of the bag. :)