Saigon Chai (organic)

Black Chai Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Indian Black Tea, Natural Flavours, Pink Peppercorn
Clove, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Peppercorn, Pepper, Ginger, Spicy, Cloves
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I know I go through this all the time, but I have found the Saigon Chai sweet spot! I had another 50 g tucked away somewhere and brewed a cup today. Only 2 or 3 minutes to steep and I shook out the...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea had an ‘accident’ this morning and ended up down the drain. The flavoring brings it over the top to that sickly sweet candy place. I infinitely prefer chai that relies on the spices and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tea 7 in my chai quest. I was expecting this to be cinnamon heavy. I think Davids usually are. This one isn’t really that bad, it’s peppery and spicy – but not really as “chai” as I would like...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is one I’ve been wanting to try, so I grabbed it on my recent order. It’s a decent chai, although not my favorite. It does remind me of fall, as most good chais do. And it’s very cinnamon-y,...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s back!

In the 1950s, Saigon cinnamon was one of the finest spices on the market. But then came the Vietnam War, and exports ground to a halt. Half a century later, it’s finally comeback time. Prepare for dark, sweet perfection. This blend of Assam tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and pink peppercorns is on another level of delicious. Try it iced, Viet-style, with sweetened condensed milk. (MK Kosher)

Organic: Fair Trade Certified Assam black tea, Saigon cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, pink peppercorns. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea smells spicy and sweet. Still not sure if I really am a fan of chai teas, but this is still tasty.
The cinnamon really comes through whether it’s dry or steeped. That with the other spices gives it a bit of warmth, so it’s definitely a good drink for cold nights. And it’s one of those teas that look pretty, with the red peppercorns and bits of cinnamon and clove.
I put a little honey and milk in mine and let it steep for about 5 minutes, but I think it would be even better in a latte (or iced with sweetened condensed milk like they suggest ;)

I really wanted to love this chai. It needs more cinnamon I think. I didn’t care much for it plain…and I usually drink my teas plain. I added some rock sugar and brewed it triple strength for a latte with whole milk. I liked it but it still wasn’t spicy enough for me. I’ll try black with sugar next time.

The pink peppercorns and cardamom pods make this tea look so pretty. It is a good tasting chai, but I find it is a little weak. I like my spices strong. Can’t really complain though as I was able to finish my cup no problem and the best part-it was free with a $40 purchase at DavidsTea. I got another tumbler and the cute raccoon mug (that I spent a lot of time pondering if I should buy it since I already have like what must be 15 mugs already). BUT the lil bugger is holding a steaming cuppa tea! SO adorable!

Can be a bit dull if I don’t steep it long enough. Still, one of my favourites and super spicy. Not bad with some rum either

This is a queued tasting note.

#ProjectTeaWall

…And all of the Chai blends officially tried! Until they come out with new ones, anyway.

Honestly, I didn’t taste any major differences between this one and Chai & Mighty. I think I’d probably have to do a direct comparison to tell them apart and you know what? I don’t want to. That said, this one as a latte with some honey? As someone who doesn’t like Chai, that was pretty good!

I can definitely taste the cloves in this. Warm, tasty, and great on a chilly day!

Flavors: Clove

2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

My favorite tea for making chai lattes. Not my favorite for plain tea, but as a tea latte, my absolute favorite. The cinnamon shines when mixed with milk, and I adore how spicy a chai it is. Too often I find chai’s are not spicy enough, and this tea delivers a wonderful blend of spices, almost more spice then tea. The bite from the peppercorns is a wonderful twist.

I’ve been working my way through trying all of Davids Tea’s chai teas as I really do enjoy a good chai, but this one was disappointing. All the elements seem to be there, but something just doesn’t work or mix for the right spicy sort of flavor that I associate with chai. To me, it almost ended up tasting mildly fruity? Definitely picking up on the sweetness that others have mentioned. It tastes to me almost like the spice blend used to make hot apple cider in the fall, and actually if it was fall I might even use this to spice my homemade cider. But for a tea, and especially a chai tea, to drink on its own…its just not doing it for me and I dont think I’ll buy it again.

I should have heeded the label and description of this tea with warning. I think it would actually taste best with the recommended “sweetened condense milk” because this is stark, peppery, spicy tea that has my eyes bulging out of my skull. Drinking it straight really had my taste buds go in for a wild dance of some sorts, but it felt more out of control rather than a happy cuppa… It smells amazing as a dry leaf. I will finish my small 30g bag, but will not repurchase. I prefer the other chai’s from DavidsTea.

One of my favorite chais. The pink peppercorns add a really nice touch.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Peppercorn