Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Spicy, Cardamon, Clove, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Pepper, Peppercorn, Spices, Earth, Cinnamon, Creamy, Vanilla, Red Fruits, Cream, Fruity, Bell Pepper, Tea
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That’s the aroma I am getting BUT it’s certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy about...” Read full tasting note
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn’t quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I’m really in...” Read full tasting note
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I’d spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU WANT...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I enjoy this tea ALMOST as much as Stormy Night. I love the spiciness of it that pairs so well with the chocolate and earthy black tea flavours. A few years ago, before it was made a year-round selection by David’s, I would stock up on it during winter to try and make it to the next holiday season. Even then, I would finish it up early and have to wait for what seemed like forever for it to come out again. So there’s always been this lovely wintery excitement to this one for me. David’s page recommends spicing it up further with a shot of cinnamon whiskey. This intrigues me but since I usually just drink the black teas in the morning I guess I’ll have to continue to wonder about that. Cinnamon whiskey for breakfast might be a bit much.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Peppercorn, Spicy

205 °F / 96 °C 7 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

Tea smells luscious and dreamy but did not meet expectations nor the tasting description. I’ve made this a few times to give it the benefit of the doubt but the tea lacks flavor and spice. Where’s the spice? Really disappointed.

I purchased this tea quite some time ago and I don’t remember enjoying it that much. This was early on in my tea immersion. So, it sat at the back of my tea cupboard for a long time. A few nights ago, I came across it and decided to try it again. I had it as a hot latte. I am not sure if my tastes have changed, but I suspect that I am just better at preparing loose leaf tea now…..because it was really good! I was surprised by how much I liked it. Usually, I don’t like the cinnamon in David’s Tea chais, but I am a HUGE chai lover otherwise. But this was really, really good. Like “I need to add this to my regular rotation” good. Definitely as a latte, as a chai should be!

My favorite of all David’s Teas. Not too chocolately, not too spicy, nice flavours. The smell is to die for. This is my go to in the mornings. I drink it plain – no milk, no sugar and I love it.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Pepper, Spicy

If you’re intrigued by this tea yet find yourself nervous…don’t be. This tea is pretty mild. Unfortunately so, in my case.

I mistook the chocolate for cocoa nibs — the flavor felt a bit chalky and not really like there was melted chocolate in my tea. The chai isn’t very extreme either, which is why for my second cup I felt compelled to add some of my Caramel Chai Rooibos from Teavana. It kind of helped.

But see, I was expecting a tea version of perhaps my favorite chocolate by Lindt, Chili Dark Chocolate. The chili in this tea is…very weak in comparison. There’s a hint of warmth on the back of your tongue, once you’ve swallowed, but not much else. It kind of helps the flavors going along in the tea, but since the dry taste of the chili is playing with an even drier chocolate, it’s hard to say what it’s doing for it. On top of that, I’m surprised at the 1.25 tsp per 8oz preparation instructions. By default I almost always use nearly a full tablespoon of tea per 10-12 oz and my cup still felt weak.

I really expected more, at least like a chai with some subtle flavors; as of yet, to me, it tastes equally weak on all flavor fronts. I’ll have to tinker with adding some dried red pepper flakes or melting in some of my beloved Lindt to get me through the rest of this ounce of tea leaves. May edit later for recommendations.

Flavors: Cocoa, Spices

This is one of those teas that I love in store as a sample but can never in my life figure out the way to make it the same. It sucks because I purchased a lot of it and now poof gone. I couldn’t drink any way I made it and so to the compost it went.

Mexican heaven

Flavors: Chocolate, Peppercorn

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Yesss! Delicious!

We don’t really taste the chill peppers so much in this but I would simply describe this as a good chai with chocolate bits.

I brewed it the other day at work and everyone around me were saying how it smells good.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Spices

205 °F / 96 °C

So I brewed up a pot of this. Nothing special, just kind of trying to slowing get through it and it seemed like a good option given it’s the snowpocalypse outside.

And then I forgot about the last cup for about 2 hours…

Obviously it was ice cold by the time I found it. I know I could’ve heated it up, but it didn’t really seem worth it for a tiny cup of tea so I just drank it cold.

And it was really good!

Still not stellar; I’ve always found this tea kind of lacking and it’s definitely getting on in years now too, which doesn’t help (I think I got it 3 Christmases ago…). However, I found the flavour profile a little more complex when it was cold, which was really nice. I would definitely consider having this intentionally iced in the future.

This swap from EmilyGee smells so chocolatey-licious that I just had to have it as soon as I got the envelope open. Plain, it’s nice. Chocolate on the front end with some spiciness coming in mid-sip and building throughout the cup. Some rice milk really makes the chocolate pop, but it also mutes the spiciness. Which is not the end of the world – this ended up tasting like warm chocolate milk, i.e. awesome. Unfortunately, this turned out to be one of those black teas that hurt my stomach. Still, I’m glad I got to try it. Thanks Emily!

sipdown