Cream of Earl Grey (organic)

Black Tea, Cornflower Petals, Marigold Petals, Natural Bergamot Oil, Natural Vanilla Flavor
Astringent, Cream, Sweet, Vanilla, Bergamot, Tart, Bitter, Citrus, Orange Zest, Floral, Flowers, Licorice, Fruity, Creamy, Smooth, Caramel, Custard, Earl Grey, Sugar, Chocolate, Anise
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

A creamy twist

Lovers of Earl Grey adore this creamy alternative to the original blend. You’ll recognize the same high-quality black tea, the same citrus burst of bergamot oil, the same beautiful grey-blue petals. However this version adds a touch of vanilla, and the result is an unexpectedly rich, creamy taste experience. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, cornflowers. With natural vanilla and bergamot flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

It’s been a while since I’ve had an earl grey tea as I find most to be a little bitter, but this was delicious. It is one of the top- sellers from DAVIDsTEA so I figured it would be tasty. I’m definitely picking up some for my collection.

Flavors: Floral, Sweet, Vanilla

This is one of my morning staples. I brew it according to directions – 1.25tsp/240mL, 96C, 4-7 minutes and it always comes out great. I drink it with milk but you need to be careful because too much milk waters out the flavours. I will brew the leaves a second time and find that it quite drinkable a second time around.

Flavors: Bergamot

I love a good EGC! This one is one of the best I have had. Can’t get lazy and let it steep too long though. When making a London Fog I like it strong, but today I just steeped it in the pot straight up. Last cup was pretty bitter because I left the infuser in it.

Flavors: Bergamot, Flowers

This is not a tea I would have bought for myself, but I got 2oz as a gift, so I guess I have to drink it. ;D
The cream flavor is very smooth and lives up to its name, but it masks the bergamot. Tastes fine, but wasn’t what I was expecting from something named earl grey.

Flavors: Cream, Floral, Vanilla

Piiiiiiuuuu! Haha! The vanilla flavor is soooo smelly in this.

I want so badly to like this. Especially because it SAYS it’s natural vanilla flavoring, but it tastes chemically. Maybe if I make it with milk? Because it is creamy. I don’t taste the bergamot at all.

Maybe my taste buds are broken! lol I won’t give up on this just yet, but I may have to pawn it off on family members if I don’t find a way to make it enjoyable. Iced, maybe? Hmmm…

Edit: Shorter steeps (like >1 minute) are not as bad.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I always ensure I’ve got this tea in my cupboard! I also can’t drink normal Earl Grey anymore ….

Cream of Earl Grey is creamier and sweeter than your traditional Earl Grey – and in my mind, delicious. That being said, it isn’t that different from Cream of Earl Grey from other cheaper tea stores.

Be careful not to over steep this tea, as it will release tannins and ruin the flavor.

Flavors: Vanilla

Smell: Unbrewed, reminds me, strangely, of licorice candy. Definitely the lower, kind of throaty vanilla-cream, but with a sweet, in your nose candy store licorice. Once brewed, the scents are much mellower. They’re still there, or I was expecting to smell them, not sure, but it’s all low notes, smells very comforting and creamy.

Appearance: It’s loose leaf black tea. The cornflowers and marigold are not as vibrant as the pictures, but I wasn’t expecting that. They’re definitely there, and I’d rather have them look a bit faded than have a bunch of color preservatives, you know?

Brewing: Suggested 4-7 minutes, brewed for the full 7, because I need caffeine to be a functional human being. Nordic mug with filter basket. Not sure about the temperature. I let my electric kettle come to a boil, then waited a few minutes for it cool down. Suggested temp is 205 F, so I would have been fine to just pour it on, but I hate bitter black tea, so I was overly cautious.

Taste: It has a pleasant smooth, round feeling that lingers in the back of your mouth. Higher floral notes, not a bit of bitterness. Very drinkable.

Verdict: 3 out of 5! This is good stuff, even without sweetener. It’s organic and kosher, but not fair trade, so I’m not sure it’ll be one of my go-to teas. Also, I wish the natural flavoring wasn’t there, of course, but vanilla bean is crazy expensive, so I understand the use.

Flavors: Floral, Licorice, Vanilla

7 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Heavy on the floral, low on the bergamot. The vanilla is a nice touch, but I doubt I’d buy this again.

Flavors: Floral, Vanilla

Boiling 7 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

Very nice with milk.

Flavors: Fruity

2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 20 OZ / 591 ML

I had no idea I could find a tea that I liked better than my Twinings Earl Grey. This tea has very similar properties: mild but full of flavor, and not ever bitter – no matter if oversteeped. I don’t add milk to my tea, so I couldn’t imagine having a ‘creamy’ flavor of my Earl Grey. Lo and behold – the addition of the blue cornflowers gave it that extra special something that elevated my Earl Grey experience to a whole new level. I was surprised! And delighted! I ran out to buy a tin for home and a sachet pack for work. YUM!