Nepal Black

Chocolate, Malt, Musty, Honey, Tannin, Nuts, Earth, Smooth, Creamy, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Baked Bread, Bitter, Dry Grass, Hay, Molasses, Wood, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Maple, Sweet
Medium
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn’t expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it’s really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise, given that...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea continues to be one of my favourite blacks. Not because I haven’t had better by now – I have. This is just a comforting, don’t-think-too-hard about it tea that I like to have on mornings when I don’t need to go anywhere. It’s light and sweet.

On my last few trips to DAVIDs, I also bought a bunch of their flavoured honey sticks – peach, coconut and lemon – because I am a complete sucker for gimmicky shit like that. I sweetened this with one of the peach sticks, hoping it might come out something like a lighter version of Southern Belle.

It…didn’t, really. I could barely taste peach. I think it might need two sticks, although that tweaks that uneasy part of my brain which is aware of how much sugar there already is in my diet.

And speaking of sugar…I also have a can of Coke in the fridge. You know how they say that once you’re addicted to something, the addiction is forever? I have discovered that my soda pop limit is now something like ONE every few days, and it’s best to keep it to one a week and only sip it a bit at a time. If I do that, I enjoy it. If I drink it more often, the normally-tamed beast of my Coke addiction wakes up and says, “Go get more of that. RIGHT NOW.”

Which I did, the last time I drank too much Coke, too fast. But I have resisted drinking the can I then bought, so now it’s just sitting in the fridge. I’m trying to decide when to drink it, because its presence kind of makes me nervous and I want it gone. And I’m not truly committed enough to clean my toilet with it.

This is a tea I always keep around.. it’s one of those that you know you will enjoy no matter what the occasion is.

I’m a big fan of flavored teas, but obviously the true essence of tea is in it’s bare leaves, so «au naturel» is something I feel I must go to from time to time. I will not pretend I am an expert at this, cause I’m not. The world of tea is so complex and fascinating, I learn something new everyday! I am slowly educating myself and trying unflavored teas more and more.

What never ceases to amaze me is to find hints and notes that are naturally there. This tea is an excellent example of that. The sweet honey is easily identifiable, hard to believe that no sugar was added. It’s malty but not too much. It’s a bit astringent, but not too much even if steeped a little too long.

For my taste, the flavors peak when it starts cooling. I like it just slightly warm, not hot. After steeping it, I wait a good 5 minutes before I drink it. I then experience it in a whole other way, with more nuances and fuller body. The sweetness arrives at the end, so it completely takes away whatever astringency or bitterness that might be there.

Definitely one of my favorite black tea!

Uniquity

Hmm, I usually wait at least five minutes before drinking so I don’t burn my tongue. Now I wonder what the rest of the world does? : )

TheTeaFairy

hahaha!! I guess I have a tongue of steel :)

Fine downy young leaves. I can feel the little hairs prickle the back of my throat as I swallow.

This was a light cup of tea, but then again, I suspect I under leafed my cup. Still, smooth and nectary sweet. Bit delicate for a black tea, really.

Otherwise, this is not too memorable.

Yum, this is tasty!

After my first cup, I had thought of all these things I wanted to write about in my tasting note, about the floral-y fragrance mixed with a dark, malty taste… but mostly, I forgot all of it as I drank my second and third infusions. But it is delicious, and I am sad that my sample from Courtney only contained enough for one taste of this.

So, yum.

I am thoroughly enjoying this tea.

I went to the store to buy some Orange Pekoe (which is quite nice itself, btw) and was offered this one. I got the OP but then after giving it some thought I went back a couple weeks later for a tin of this one.

The first thing you notice is that this is obviously hand-rolled – the leaves are very long and twisty.

The aroma of the leaves is very pleasant, a bit malty and floral like a really nice breakfast tea.

The colour of the infusion is a deep orange but not too dark.

The flavour is reminiscent of Black Needles (Yunnan red/black) in its honey/sweetness but then also like a really nice breakfast blend (Ceylon/Assam).

Very, very accessible and hard to say anything not nice about it. :)

This tea even cost less than I expected because it’s so light that the tin could only hold about 86g – the girl at the store even had trouble shutting the lid (I cringed at the sound of her crushing the tea leaves, not to mention the fact that she spilled a bunch when she was filling the tin.. tsk tsk tsk.. :P )

Notes on preparation: I’ve been doing all of my black tea lately in kind of a “modified gong fu” style – I use extra leaves, and first do a quick infusion off the boil (up to two minutes), then later a second infusion at boiling, leaving the leaves in indefinitely (or at least 5 minutes).

Daddyselephant

There’s one girl at my local Davids that smashes the leaves into a tin and cannot fill up a bag without spilling at least 10 grams. >.< She drives me nuts and if I can avoid her, I can. But this one was suggested to me last time I bought tea and I loved it. Returned the next day to buy more XD

Having this one naked. I didn’t usually drink my black teas with nothing in them. I always added milk to them but now that I am drinking better tea I seem to be doing this more often. I made this tea about 1.5 hours ago but it is so hot here I just couldn’t drink it. Now that it has sat I didn’t even now if I would like it but it is great. It isn’t bitter like some blacks can be after sitting for awhile. The thing I really want to say about it is that it has a really nice “tea” flavour to it. I am really glad I picked this one up yesterday in the store and look forward to getting more. I decided on “only” 50g to try this one and it filled the whole bag. The girl even had problems getting the bag closed. 100g would likely take up more than one tin.

Indigobloom

I just tried this one to! it was pretty yummy with milk… but not so much once it cooled. Funny, how milk changes things

Uniquity

I assume this is new because I’ve never had it…Hmm!

Cattibrie

New on Tuesday.

Wayne

I got a tin and the girl could only fit 86g. Even then, she had to jam the lid on … I cringed at the sound of her crushing the tea …:(

I am just having a bit of this now…

My local DAVIDs was out of this the last few times I was in, but had some today, and I finally bought some. The leaves are fairly big and light, and my 16g nearly filled the small pouch. Brewed, the leaves were on par with the oolong I had yesterday which was a little greener than this. The dry smell of this smells like your basic black, a little malty and sweet. Compared to the Wild Black Yunnan, it smells a little different. At first I thought the WBY was sweeter, but upon a second dry smell just now, the WBY smells earthier…possibly grassier.

The liquor was a nice medium golden mahogany shade. Brewed, it is very pleasing to look at and smell. I’m not sure if this is sweeter or not than the WBY as it’s been a while since I tried it straight. There is a sort of drying taste on my tongue, with a slight astringency. I’m not picking up any smoke that I know of.

I’m not sure whether I like this one better or not. I tasted without sweetener and milk, but I can’t seem to have a dark tea without that. Both teas are quite nice, especially as straight teas.

I’ve been dreaming about this tea for two days. I couldn’t find it. I knew I had it somewhere, but it was hiding from me… but then today, I happened to find it.

This tea is so good. I am going to treat myself soon to 100g of this one. How could you not like this one. It’s so smooth! And just what I needed today.

I like the big tea leaves in this one. Not anything like an oolong but in comparison to my English Breakfast.

The taste I’m preferring over David’s Organic Breakfast. It doesn’t have that background syrup taste. Of course I wouldn’t have any milk, so I’ll have to pick some up and try this with a bit of milk and sugar and see how it stands up. Pretty good black though :)

Another tea I got from DavidsTea the other day that I had rather high hopes for. While it didn’t completely crash and burn like the other one I tried tonight, it didn’t quite reach what I was expecting.

I didn’t really get any of the honey notes like the description mentions, just earthy/woody, maybe a bit of fruityness (which was strange and I may have imagined it).
I kinda wish I had read the reviews on here so I knew better what I might be getting into, and kinda glad I didn’t since I likely would’ve never bought this if I had. Mainly because I think my tastebuds are just not cut out for Darjeelings and those teas similar to them. I just don’t care for that kinda of musky/woody/earthy sort of taste. Though where I didn’t care at all for the first (and so far only) Darjeeling I’ve had, this tea is just unsimilar enough to a Darjeeling that I find myself finishing my cup and pondering another (or trying a resteep), but similar enough that it could be considered vaguely comparable. Even possibly as an easy introduction step to actual Darjeelings.

It has no astringency or bitterness that I could detect, but then I steeped it for 30 sec less than the minimum recommended temp, and at a slightly cooler temp. (Though I’m not sure how a few degrees really would have made a difference.)

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t reorder this one, but if I drink enough, the taste may grow on me. But I can at least see myself finishing what I have. Which makes me happy that it wasn’t a complete bust or I’d’ve been really irritated. (I also got cajoled into buying an ounce of this instead of a half ounce. _ I need a backbone. Lol!)

Edit – Second steep – Same Temp-ish/ 4:30 min – Much like the first but toned down on the woody bite. Stiil a pleasant black tea. Not bad. /Ups the rating just a smidge for that./ Lol.