Nepal Black

Chocolate, Malt, Musty, Honey, Tannin, Nuts, Earth, Smooth, Creamy, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Baked Bread, Bitter, Dry Grass, Hay, Molasses, Wood, Flowers, Cocoa, Apricot, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Maple, Sweet
Medium
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Huh. Wow. Steeping this for 2 minutes at 195F gives me delightful honey flavour and no bad stuff. I like it! Plain!! (I better like it. I have an other 50g bag sitting in the cupboard!)” Read full tasting note
  • “1TB for 450mL water. 6 minute steep, 98C water. Rating: 95. Yum. I wasn’t expecting this to live up to the hype, but yeah, it’s really nice. A bit Darjeeling-y, which is not a surprise, given that...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very first order of the agenda here, can we all please agree that the country is called NEpal and that there is no such country as NApal? Thank you. This seems a common error, and some people do it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ever have one of those tea days where nothing goes as planned? not a disaster exactly, just not what you expected. That was today. See, I had planned to bring in one of the many samples I received...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Take you higher

There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a small family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari. From the first sip you’ll notice its rich, sweet, honey-like flavour. What doesn’t come through in the cup is how much good this little tea garden does. They’ve set up a ton of amazing community programs to benefit local schools, underprivileged families, and the elderly. This particular tea is a DAVIDsTEA exclusive – now that’s a good thing. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea is amazing. One of my favourite black teas. As others commented it has a nice earthy flavor and such an amazing smell. A solid black tea.

In my short tea drinking life, this has been my favorite tea. I haven’t been able to find the subtle chocolate flavor that this tea suggests in anything else so far.

Flavors: Chocolate

For the price ($10/50g) it is exceptional. It’s a medium flavored black tea that is very malty, and a little musty (as though it was a pu-erh, or had been aged). Despite me brewing it with nearly boiling water, and steeping it for about 2.5mins, there was no bitterness or astringency at all.

Flavors: Malt, Musty

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 30 sec 3 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

Evol sample, thank you!

I wondered if this was right since the tips were more gold making me wonder if it was a union, but the dry cocoa powder and peach seed smell of the leaves make me feel otherwise. Like I said before, Nepal needs more love. This is a good case as to why and was a good pick for me.

I brewed gong fu and the qualities were closer to a Yunnan black in a mega powdery cocoa mouth feel and taste with a dried and roasted fruit finish. It reminds me of a Darjeeling in the dryness, but since I’ve had Nepalese teas before, it’s really a Nepal dryness that I associate with the terroir. Picking up a bit of a honey aftertaste as well. Malty overall, and a bit dry, but very pleasant.

Evol Ving Ness

Excellent. I’m feeling very self-congratulatory now following my own instincts on this. If we ever do another swap, I’ll just ignore your specific preferences, beyond general guidelines, of course, altogether and send you things that I think you should try, just because.

Evol Ving Ness

I’m glad you liked this one.

Daylon R Thomas

You know I like to try new things. :) I could not drink all these blacks all the time though. Oolongs are easier for me to power than blacks though I can handle around two hong cha sessions in a given day. I think that might decrease with time. Some greens can be way harder though.

Evol Ving Ness

One oolong can be an all day long thing for me. Blacks are less of a commitment: two steeps and I’m done, most of the time. I can be a bit fickle too, going through my phases of mostly this or mostly that.

Evol Ving Ness

You know I am teasing you.

I’ve definitely had this one before, but apparently it’s another that I’ve neglected to log here on Steepster over the years. After my not so lovely Matcha Matsu latte, I decided to stop in to DT again while we were at the mall and grab something to drink for the trip home. I settled on an iced Nepal Black with some added honey.

This one doesn’t really need the honey because it’s already got quite a nice, defined honey sweetness to it in the first place but I wanted to exaggerate that quality of the flavour profile. Definitely did exactly that; this was a sweet treat with awesome honey notes and then a roasty finishing flavour note.

Friendly reminder that I’m not currently numerically rating DAVIDsTEA blends as I’m currently seasonally employed there and it would be an obvious conflict of interest. Any blends you see with numerical ratings were rated prior to my employment there. These reviews are a reflection of my personal thoughts regarding the teas, and not the company’s.

This is a nice black tea – but it reminds me of Honey Black, as in there’s a nice sweet honey note to it. It would be good with milk too.

Flavors: Honey, Tannin

Nice black leaf tea with a good amount of golden tips. The aroma was definitely pleasing. I had this brewed at the store. It waa was a little remaniscent of Oolong Supreme. Different from a ceylon. Two steepings each 3 minutes. I would have it again.

Flavors: Nuts

This was my first black tea I tried that was from the Nepal region, so I was really excited to see what this would taste like.

I didn’t want to get my hopes up so I tried not to have high expectations. I was pleasantly surprised when I took the first sip and my taste buds started to dance in delight.

Nepal Black is delicious!

When brewed it had a lovely dark golden honey/medium to dark orange colour to it. The taste itself was pretty smooth and sweet. I didn’t even feel the need to add in any milk or sweetener. At times it also felt like I could definitely taste honey.

The tea leaves also look very interesting. They are rolled, long pieces of black tea leaves. This was also a fun one to watch unfurl in my clear glass tea mug that I used.

1905 tasting notes

I’ve found that most Nepalese teas are reminiscent of Darjeelings but this is much more like an Assam. It has that characteristic malty robustness, though it doesn’t have the bitterness that some strong Assams carry as I can enjoy this tea perfectly fine without adding milk to soften it. As other people have noted, there definitely a molasses undertone to it that’s quite enjoyable. DT found a good one.

Delightfull, not full bodied or bitter, even if over steeped