Grand Cru Matcha

Matcha Tea
Matcha Green Tea
Creamy, Green, Smooth, Sweet, warm grass, Astringent, Bitter, Grass, Bamboo, Sweet
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina
175 °F / 79 °C 13 oz / 394 ml

• “Making this one as a wee pick me up to get in a few more solid hours of studying. I’m also using my matcha bowl for the first time! MY grandparents gave it to me for Christmas two years ago, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I had this as part of a cold matcha late with soy milk before bed time. Late cravings for it after polishing off two naughty slices of triple chocolate shortbread (which was amazing, best I have...” Read full tasting note
  • “I like matcha. I decided that since I couldn’t really judge the flavor of the Bavarian Cream I had yesterday, I should sample some plain matcha so that in the future, I will have a reference...” Read full tasting note
  • “Having recently bought a traditional kit to whisk matcha, I had only so far tried one kind of matcha, DT’s organic standard one, which is fairly cheap. Since I don’t have enough comparison points,...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Shhhh, it’s top secret.

We can’t tell you where we get it. But we can tell you it’s delicious. How do we know? Because it’s from Japan’s premier producer in the legendary Aichi Prefecture, and it’s a custom organic blend just for us. Delicately smooth and creamy, with a refreshing green “tea leaf” character, its flavour is totally sublime. A delicious daily luxury on its own, this matcha can also bring lattes, cocktails, milkshakes, and cookies to the next level. Remember, you don’t steep this tea. You whisk it, froth it, mix it, and then… you enjoy it.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Making this one as a wee pick me up to get in a few more solid hours of studying. I’m also using my matcha bowl for the first time! MY grandparents gave it to me for Christmas two years ago, and since it takes up precious room in my tea cupboard I really ought to start using it.

And, it’s awesome!

Flavors: Grass

__Morgana__

Pretty bowl. :-)

Thanks :)

Courtney

I do use the whisk all the time – well all the time being the rare times I drink matcha haha!

I had this as part of a cold matcha late with soy milk before bed time. Late cravings for it after polishing off two naughty slices of triple chocolate shortbread (which was amazing, best I have tasted). I only usually have shortbread at Christmas as I make it for friends and family as a little gift to say ‘thank you for helping me throughout the year’.

The matcha is not as strong as I was expecting, nor does it have any harsh sort of after tastes like I have experienced with a few other matcha. That makes it very fresh and grassy with beautiful smooth, green and spring like combination of flavours. I only had enough for two cups of this :( I could drink this every day.

Lala

I’m jealous. If I have the tiniest bit of caffeine after 1pm I am up all night. I have to drink most of my caffeinated teas in the morning.

I like matcha.

I decided that since I couldn’t really judge the flavor of the Bavarian Cream I had yesterday, I should sample some plain matcha so that in the future, I will have a reference point.

So grassy and earthy and lovely, it’s so good! I am a big fan. I will probably have to look into buying matcha at some point… but Courtney sent me a few samples, so I should be good for a while. She is excellent.

Courtney

I’m so happy you liked this!

ohfancythat

I totally never even heard of this tea! I will have to check Davids tomorrow when I go! I could use a plain matcha til my flavored ones arrive. I’m kind of an addict going without my fix right now

Having recently bought a traditional kit to whisk matcha, I had only so far tried one kind of matcha, DT’s organic standard one, which is fairly cheap. Since I don’t have enough comparison points, I can’t really judge of the quality of this one, but I sense for sure that it is much better than the other. The taste was much fuller, and after some pretty intensive whisking, the texture was so rich and creamy, it was really impressive! It was a nice treat and definitely the best matcha I’ve had so far, but I’m not yet certain if I love it enough to buy it again at $20 for 50g. Probably not, but I’ll very much enjoy it while it lasts!

180 °F / 82 °C
TheTeaFairy

don’t know why, but I feel a bit intimidated by matcha… probably from the ritual aspect of it. It,s one of those things that I’m pretty sure I’m gonna mess up if I don’t have an expert standing next to me to teach me how… Sounds lovely though from your description!

Eisenherz

yes, I totally understand what you mean! I felt intimidated too, so I watched a bunch of youtube videos about it and thought, well, no one’s gonna be watching me mess it up if I do! it’s worth just getting a cheaper matcha and experimenting with it… in any case, no one gets hurt if you make some mistakes :P

TheTeaFairy

You are right, mister, who cares if I mess it up? If it tastes good, that’s what counts, so I’m reconsidering buying a kit and as you mentioned a cheaper matcha to practice on. Great advice about youtube videos, I already feel more confident :)

kboby

Hey! I currently work in a tea store, I am by far no expert but I think I could give you guys a few tips. I completely agree and think it’s a good idea to start with some cheaper matcha. As for the kit, the most important thing is the bamboo whisk as it will be the key to beautiful and frothy matcha! So if you do not want to drop the money for a kit, all you need to buy is a bamboo whisk and make sure you have a shallow bowl (it will be easier to use). With lower grades of matcha, they will often clump so many people sift their tea first (a wire sieve will do, or even break the clumps with a spoon or something). After you have done that pour a small amount of water (1/4 or 1/2 a cup will do, and make sure it is NOT boiling water or it will be very bitter!) and use your whisk in the motion of an “M” and go from right to left in your bowl (try not to scrape your whisk on the bottom of the bowl for over time it will ruin it). At this point, some people pour the matcha into their cup and drink it, and others add more hot water to it – it’s just your preference! I hope this helps! If your still not sure though, I would highly recommend going into a tea store and ask for a cup of matcha and to see how they make it! I believe Davids tea would do this and I know that Teaopia will for sure, it’s also a good way to try different types of matcha and everyone is always so nice and willing to show people. Best of luck!

TheTeaFairy

to kboby: thanks for the tips, but too late, I have already made my first matcha attempt, total disaster! but I will try again using some of your suggestions…

I’ve been wanting to try a matcha tea for months now, but I’ve never been adventurous enough to do so.

So, today, I went to a friend’s place and she made some of this for us in latte form. I have to say, I don’t care for this at all. It’s too grassy for me. It’s just too much… I drank most of it, but I don’t think that I’d ever have it again. Just not my ‘cup-o’-tea’.

I’ve wanted to try matcha for a while, but being five hours away from anywhere that sells it makes it a bit tough. I was definitely worried I wouldn’t like it so I tried a cup of Matcha Matsu at DavidsTea in Halifax in Februay. I liked it and ended up buying 50g of the Grand Cru Matcha (not on the website but it was still at either the MicMac or shopping centre location last weekend. This one is a bit more expensive than the matcha Matsu, but when I went back to buy more than a cup this was all that was left!

I am definitely glad that I bought this, I love it! It has such a fresh, grassy (in a good way) taste that I have been trying very hard not to make it too often! My favorite way to have it is with just a little milk and honey! I have also been adding it to my yogurt and it is quite good :) I find this actually tastes better as it cools as well. I want to make another cup right now…but I have a cold and can’t really taste much, so it would be a waste!

I would definitely recommend this – my experience wit Matcha is definitely limited but the Grand Cru has been consistently delicious every time I’ve made it!

Matcha paste prepared at home with one scoop (David’s Tea “perfect measure”) tea, and around 20ml cold water. Transported to work as shot then mixed up with 1/3 90°C water and 2/3 ‘steamed’ skim milk (using Nespresso Aeroccino). No sweetener.

Second preparation since buying yesterday (but long time take-out drinker). Tea is delicious but like last night’s this wasn’t strong enough so seems the “perfect measure” is a little light for my taste.

195 °F / 90 °C
yappychappy

You’ll definitely need more matcha if using that much milk

I can’t recall if this was the matcha I ordered this morning, though I think it was? My free cup for not reaching 100 points. Serendipity, considering a matcha cup costs more than just a regular tea. Yay.
I added a bit of milk and honey, since I’m sick and though I tend not to sweeten my matcha, it does pair nicely with the bee goodness. The cuppa was really good. Super creamy and just yummy. It reminds me of a really well crafted piece of chocolate. Yanno the ones that are $5 for two bites. I’d want to grab some for home but I have so much already that it would be a waste. Bah.
Anyhow. I’m faring tons better today despite having only 5 hours sleep. I guess I’m kicking this cold! or maybe the chlorophyll tea feels are ramping me up haha.

Evol Ving Ness

Yay for the cold being on its way!

Haven’t had matcha for ages. Maybe it is time.

I only get a free tea of the day. I am waiting for something that is tolerable.

Indigobloom

Indeed! I still need that nap but it isn’t the same bone-tiredness anymore.
This was a free tea because I didn’t quite reach the 100 milestone before the last point redemption deadline. I wonder if they have different rules for different promotional offers

Evol Ving Ness

They must. I did get my FS 50 gram pouch plus a free tea of the day which is currently on hold until the TOTD is something I’d like to drink.

Indigobloom

Hmmm. Curious! I had no designs on using my free tea until the girl asked me if I wanted to. Perhaps she took pity on my poor toxic self haha

Evol Ving Ness

Awww. Maybe the deal is a tea of your choice as a consolation prize for no free tea leaf because at the end of the year, all your points disappear. If you get free tea because you’ve spent over 100 dollars, then your remaining points are converted into free tea of the day. I am guessing.

Indigobloom

they said my points were still there though. It was a consolation for not getting to 100 points for some reason

Evol Ving Ness

Oh, that’s good news. Maybe there has been public outcry since they changed the system. I know that I have spent very little money there since they decided to diminish the frequent steeper benefits (and increase the stevia and imitation flavours).

Indigobloom

I’m wondering if it is because I was “close” to 100 points. Maybe you need 90 – 100. I can’t see them giving out matcha for just 10 points or less. Not sure what the threshold would be

Kittenna

Free TOTD if you have 1-49 points, free tea of your choice if you have 50-99. This is after each 100pts is converted into 50g tea. :)

So I tried this as my free birthday day tea at the store so I could see if A. I like match and B. if its worth the hefty price tag associated to it and well my answer is YES! I had it with nothing mixed in just straight as is and let me tell you first the colour was so vibrant and rich it was the most beautiful green I had ever seen. She also made with such a beautiful crema that I was in heaven. This is a very smooth tasting matcha, now bare in mind this is also my first matcha experience. I think I have now been thrown into the world of matcha and it is now my duty to taste all the MATCHA!

Flavors: Creamy, Green, Smooth, Sweet, warm grass

I didnt like this matcha. I found it to be bitter, even though I used milk and agave. Its not my favorite and I won’t be buying it again.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter