Main Squeeze

Fruit Yerba maté Blend
Candied Papaya, Green Yerba Mate, Natural Flavours, Pineapple, Safflower
Orange Zest, Smooth, Autumn Leaf Pile, Bitter, Citrus, Dry Grass, Earth, Herbaceous, Orange, Citrusy, Pineapple, Fruity, Tropical, Mint, Smoke, Sweet, Grass, Lemon Zest, Hay, Green Wood, Mango
High
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

From DAVIDsTEA

Greet the day

We all know the classic morning ritual: a cup of coffee and a glass of orange juice. But what if you could get your energy boost and fresh-squeezed fruity taste all in one cup? We’re serious. Shake up your old routine with this fruity maté blend, and you may never go back. It’s got the juicy flavour of orange, papaya and pineapple, plus the high-energy punch of green yerba maté. Just one sip and you’ll feel alert, refreshed and ready for anything. Say hello to your new main squeeze.

Ingredients: Green yerba maté, papaya, pineapple, safflower.

Price per 50g: $8.98

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I remember going to school with this in my travel mug, and I will probably do the same this fall. It is a great pick-me-up and I like the idea of an energizing tea mixed with exotic fruit flavors. A good tea.

I had no idea this was maté-based! I met up with my mom at the mall today and just before we found each other, she said the sales associate caught her attention as she was walking past the store to let her know about how they’re giving away “a special gift” to all Frequent Steepers. She excitedly told me this when we found each other and encouraged me to come with her to find out what it is (it was a free sample of Peanut Butter Cup with any purchase, by the way).

When we got there, they had a huge icy jug of this so we sipped on this whilst looking at the sale items. Perhaps it was because I was slightly distracted by the shiny objects around me, but not once did it occur to me that this has maté in this. At the time, I also thought I tried this many moons ago but merely forgotten, but realized that it was Alley Kat’s Main Squeeze grapefruit ale that I had a few months ago. No grapefruit here, but rather lemon and lime.

No purchase for me but it was delightfully refreshing iced and I’m impessed that I didn’t taste the base, which normally rubs my taste buds the wrong way.

gmathis

This sounds tasty! I always associated mate’ with heavy flavors like chocolate, then tasted a mate/green tea blend that was out of this world. I’ve been mixing mate with some anonymous (very light, good quality Chinese) green tea for a really nice summer wake-up steep.

Fjellrev

Oh, that sounds like a great idea! I too usually associate it with chocolate, especially the roasted variety, but the green maté pairs so well with citrus. It’s kind of what I wanted Butiki’s Tangerine Creamsicle to be.

Green maté with orange flavour, good but nothing special.

A re-review of this tea (delete the old note, make a new one).

Apparently 10 months ago I got this tea as a sample and cold brewed it, and wasn’t super impressed with the flavor. This time I received this tea as a sample I’ve been drinking it hot, and have been enjoying the mild fruity/citrus taste with a herbaceous undertone that kicks me awake in the morning. If DAVIDs doesn’t discontinue this blend I would consider picking up a bit for those mornings when I really need a kick of caffeine (gotta use up a guayusa blend + a roasted mate that I already have, though (although maybe I could buy some fruit pieces and make my own blend with what I already own until then? hmmm)).

Flavors: Citrus, Herbaceous

185 °F / 85 °C 4 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML
Kristal

come to think of it guayusa/mate would mix well with Just Peachy!

tigress_al

I think you are right, the flavours would meld fairly well together

Kristal

Perhaps i shall try it ;)!

I was randomly craving orange juice this morning, but I can’t stomach orange juice unless it’s freshly squeezed (sans pulp). That sounds like something a bougie hipster would say. It’s just that orange juice, as Sophia Petrillo would say, repeats on me. TMI. :P

This is a lovely substitute. It’s a lovely, light combination of orange and papaya that’s super refreshing over ice. I haven’t been able to sell what’s left of this gigantic 250g bag I bought from DT last year, so I’ve decided to just add it to my sipdown pile.

Kristal

Haha I got a sample of this in my most recent order and was drinking it this morning! ;)

Got a to-go cup of this at DAVID’s today. I have to admit, I surprised myself a little. I haven’t had much luck with mate in the past and I was leaning more towards something herbal. Still, I have been curious about this and the heavy lemon smell got to me.

The sip is primarily lemon zest. A slight grassy note as well and the aftertaste leans more towards orange than lemon. Even after the orange was a taste of something juicy and tropical. Papaya? Just for a fleeting second though. The caffeine buzz was pretty intense too. Felt properly awake for the first time all day as I tried to slog my way through my marketing text.

I didn’t love this enough to make we want to actually purchase some, but I wouldn’t have minded a second cup.

Flavors: Grass, Lemon Zest, Orange Zest

This was one of my DAVID’s samples. I’ve never had mate. I’m not exactly sure what I think of it. It’s not bitter or sour, so I should like it. But really, it tastes kind of like a wet field that was mowed and now the hay is molding. I can’t get around that. I guess I don’t like it. Clearly others do, though, so make your own decision. :)

OMGsrsly

I kinda feel that way about green mate as well. :)

Maddy Barone

I’m glad I’m not alone!

This tea tastes like hot spicy orange juice. It’s pretty tasty and sometimes just what I need during the day.

I don’t like this tea that much as it is. Not because it’s not good. But because I dislike the papaya that it contains. And you really can taste the papaya in it. So it’s a matter of my own personal taste and it has nothing to do with the tea’s taste and blend. I tried it hot and iced and I prefer it hot. What I really like about this tea is the little boost that it gives, especially in the morning. So I’ve bought an enormous quantity of this tea before I even had tasted it. And I hate to waste tea. What to do ? I made a big jug of it (cold brew method) and I’m mixing it with a quarter of unsweetened orange juice (12 ounces of tea with 4 ounces of orange juice). It’s surprisingly good! And it’s an interesting replacement for my traditional orange juice in the morning. UPDATE: I had the idea to cold brew it mixed with ‘’Sunny Citrus’’ (half and half) and it’s to die for. The hint of vanilla in ‘’Sunny Citrus’’ add a nice touch and the two mixed together makes the bitterness of the mate dissapear. It’s just fruity, sweet and very palatable.

Absolutely love this tea iced with a splash of vodka.. it hides the alcohol flavour so well! and it gives you the energy to party it up! lol. But on a more serious note, its also really good iced and hot! Always keeping some in my cupboard