Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Caramel, Vanilla, White Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Bitter, Creamy, Tea, Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Cream, Maple, Marshmallow, Molasses, Sweet, Artificial, Cake, Tannic, Brown Sugar, Milk, Toffee, Alcohol, Malt, Powdered sugar, Maple Syrup, Red Fruits, Frosting, Butter, Sugar
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don’t even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there’s something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff that draws me...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess… this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing… yum, I was right. The sickly sweet...” Read full tasting note
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I’m just having an off day. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well. Keep this in your cupboard for too long and it turns quite disappointing. Too thin and watery (even when following parameters. Even when you add milk) and there’s a really cloying note in...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I remember this being one of my most favourite teas. Now the more I drink it, like I am now, the more the flavour just really to be put bluntly – sucks. I still have a full tin of this and I really hope my next cup won’t disappoint me as much as it is right now.

I’ve never been so disappointed about a tea before… I really don’t know what happened. Each cup I make, just becomes worse and worse. I still have a full tin of it too.

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more

I didnt really like this one the first time I tried it, I found that it had an after taste but after a while it seemed to grow on me. The smell is delicious…definetely a dessert tea!

Love this. So much that after I received my sample from darby (thank you!) I ran to DT and got my own bag. It’s delicious! Brings happy feelings similar to a warmed up chocolatey dessert. I don’t find this to be overly sweet or overly chocolatey. It’s delicious on a winter’s night!

I brought this out to keep awake and when the smell hit me I felt like I was in heaven. I wanted to devour this tea! I did not care! Even if I did not enjoy it! Sadly, that feeling faded.

After waiting for it to steep, my initial taste warranted nothing. I had no taste of sugar or cake or any type of dessert. It tasted like, well, hot water. Only after I added a dreaded cube of sugar – as honey was not on hand – did I finally taste a hint of sweetness. I was disheartened. I was excited to have a tasty tea that could keep me up but the lack of flavours makes this miss the cut.

It is not bad, not by the least but I wanted more and this did not deliver.

I love this tea. Though it doesn’t taste exactly like its name, it is fantastic.

This isn’t bad. It’s kinda reminiscent of red velvet cake. It probably doesn’t help when there are actual red velvet cupcakes in the house…

I like that I don’t have to add anything to this tea, but the candy it contains is basically already a sweetener. The taste is just average. I am not a fan of the artificial ingredients.

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla, White Chocolate

I love it so much and I’ve been drinking this for consecutive days and everytime I tried to drink 2 cups of it in one day I usually gets a headache :( but the tea is great though.

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet

EDIT: I had it again but steeped it less, also added a little cream and it tasted so good! I feel this is a favourite for me and am SO glad I have 100 grams of it or else I would have finished it all by now. Bumping my rating from a 55 to a 80.

Flavors: Bitter, Creamy, Tea, White Chocolate

Dustin

Looks like you are new here. Welcome!
Cutting down the length of time you steep helps alleviate too strong of a flavor. If you leave tea to steep for too long it can result in a bitter cup. I usually steep for 3 minutes for blacks I haven’t tried before and adjust from there. Reading other reviewers steeping parameters for teas can help you figure out how to adjust for a particular tea.

Ashley

Thanks Dustin! I’ll try that for sure next time, I steeped it for 6 minutes so that’s probably why. I appreciate the advice, it’ll probably help a lot :)

Is it just me or does David’s have a tendency to make a lot of their cake teas very similar? I’ve had both Coffee Cake and Birthday cake before and it’s kind of interesting just how similar this one is to both of them. Perhaps I should be more mindful of my smelling to take note of the subtle differences.

Overall, this tea smells well, like cake? I’m not entirely sure what a red velvet cake is supposed to smell like in particular but its good at least. Even though the leaf was like 2 years ago it kept a lot of its flavor which is surprising, in a good way. I find that it tastes a lot like it smells, like cake. I don’t really taste the black tea base and its not as full-bodied as I would like but I think its something I’ll pick up again sometime when I have room in my tea cupboard.