Red Velvet Cake

Artificial Flavouring, Beet Root Pieces, Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Natural Flavours, Sprinkles, White Chocolate
Caramel, Vanilla, White Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Bitter, Creamy, Tea, Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Cream, Maple, Marshmallow, Molasses, Sweet, Artificial, Cake, Tannic, Brown Sugar, Milk, Toffee, Alcohol, Malt, Powdered sugar, Maple Syrup, Red Fruits, Frosting, Butter, Sugar
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Whoops! Looks like someone caved and got the special edition tin. I don’t even care for chocolate/Red Velvet cake, but there’s something about Red Velvet-flavoured or -scented stuff that draws me...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! Ok, I confess… this tea has grown on me and now I really like it, hahahahaha. I thought it would be a great candidate for a sipdown while thesis-writing… yum, I was right. The sickly sweet...” Read full tasting note
  • “I thought I was going to love you forever. What happened, Red Velvet Cake? Maybe I have less of a sweet tooth now so I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to. Or maybe I’m just having an off day. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well. Keep this in your cupboard for too long and it turns quite disappointing. Too thin and watery (even when following parameters. Even when you add milk) and there’s a really cloying note in...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Just dessert

What’s not to love about a red velvet cake? It’s chocolaty, it’s rich, and it’s bright red. We’re the first to admit it’s a pretty flashy dessert. If other cakes are birds of a feather, the red velvet is the peacock – which is exactly why we love it so much. And this sweet, lightly creamy black tea blend perfectly captures our favourite dessert. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, beetroot powder and little red sprinkles, it’s rich, delicious and a whole lot of fun.

Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

More like buttercream icing chocolate pound cake than red velvet, but that’s ok with me. Sweet, chocolate-y, vannilla-licious. It does a good job bringing cake to mind, just not the intended variety. I liked it a lot, but the sprinkles do leave an unappealing red waxy goo around the top of the cup, which I wiped off with a paper towel prior to tea consumption.

Flavors: Cake, Chocolate, Vanilla, White Chocolate

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Tea recommended for this book is Red Velvet Cake Tea by David’s Tea for it’s alluring tea notes, and both it’s complexity and simplicity. This tea will have you love it in allowing you to sit back and ponder a thing or two about this world.

Because of this, I recommend the book

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

This book seems to draw the love it or hate it crowd. People were either praising it heavily with all the worship of a reader that can give to an author or they were racing through it to finish, or not finishing it at all.

I am of the lovers of Murakami. I am already biased and into his style of writing before reading anything of his. I will always be a loyal reader and love his words. I cannot recommend him enough. If you are a fan, I will advise to start reading. If you are not a fan, take Murakami a little at a time. 1Q84 in English was printed as 1 book, while in Japan, it was in 3 books. Keep that in mind! I thought I would never finish but I did in which the red velvet cake is lovely for keeping me company through all the pages.

I’m not in love with this one, it’s too sweet in a way it taste almost moldy… I don’t really know how to describe it.

Sweet,

Flavors: Cake, Caramel, Chocolate, Sweet

I find that with non-dairy milk this tea really does taste cake-like. It’s not as chocolaty as I’d like, but it is quite sweet. I enjoy it as a latte (both hot and iced). While this doesn’t quite make my list of go-to flavored black teas from DT, I do enjoy it on occasion. I find that the black tea base is a bit too weak for many of DT’s flavored black teas. It’s one that I’ll likely repurchase to have on hand when I’m craving cake, but it’s not one that I’d reach for when I need a caffeine boost.

Flavors: Cake, Chocolate

I don’t understand why some people like it so much? I didn’t see something special in this, really.

I am not a huge fan of red velvet cake to begin with, but I was really interested to see what David’s cake teas tasted like. This one is pretty good – it’s definitely chocolatey, and definitely red velvety – they got the flavour pretty bang on, and it’s a rich tea. It seems to get more chocolatey with every sip. The flavour is bold, the aroma pretty much smells like what you get. I was really on the fence at the beginning – the beetroot kind of weirded me out – but it’s actually quite nice, and I can always appreciate a full-bodied flavour. I can’t stand watery teas that don’t pack a punch.

I’m planning on this being one of the teas I bring to work to stave off snacking on sugary crap, as I am slowly eliminating as much sugar as I can from my diet. I’d rather have a tea with 1g of sugar in it than a two-bite brownie with 14g of sugar in it!!! And since I haven’t been eating sugary stuff lately, the sugary teas from David’s seem even more dessert-like.

I am somewhat new to drinking tea – in the past, I have found that most tea has little flavor. I went to my local David’s Tea location for “sleepy time tea”, and walked away with this after smelling it from the tin – let me tell you, it smells SO GOOD. This tea is definitely a game changer for me, and has inspired me to try new ones ordered from David’s Tea. I tried it for the first time this morning and immediately fell in love. Granted, it is fairly sweet, which some may not enjoy. I find myself brewing it for closer to 7 minutes, and add a little bit of milk and sugar – simply divine :)

Flavors: Chocolate

So this is a review for the chocolate bar.

I was hesitant to buy this one above the others because milk chocolate isn’t my favourite, but Red Velvet Cake is one of my favourite teas so I decided to give it a go. Glad I did! Even for milk chocolate, the chocolate is really nice, and the tea gives it a little extra something. Would like to try more of their chocolate bars, and I would recommend this one.

Kristal

I had the chocolate bar as well. I liked it, but I couldn’t taste any specific red velvet cake flavour. Still good, though!

Fay

I kind of got a hint of it, but not as much as if you actually drink the tea for sure.

Kristal

Yeah, I found the creaminess was hidden by the already creaminess of milk chocolate.

Huh? This was another tea I was sure I’d like but definitely didn’t. I’ve had a couple of other Red Velvet teas by now and usually like them. This did not taste like red velvet at all. In fact, I felt like I could actually taste the beet root that is part of this blend MORE than the chocolate or vanilla flavors you’re supposed to get with red velvet. I did taste the chocolate behind that, but the vanilla was nonexistent. I have a little more of this to try again with. Perhaps I steeped it too long? I actually took the basket out of the cup at the lower end of the recommended steep time range. Hmm…..