Jasmine Black Pearls (organic)

Jasmine, Smooth, Chocolate, Floral, Round , Flowers, Sweet, Tannin, Astringent, Caramel, Earth, Smoke, Bitter, Wood, Bamboo, Malt
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Fay

2 Images

• “Trying these bad boys tonight. I bought a sample of them in October when I learned that the DT closest to me actually got a stock of them. I had resisted before based on not knowing how I feel...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am lucky friends! Our DT in the mall received this by mistake! They have to send it back because they don’t have a tin for it – but in the meantime… we get to drink it! And buy it… so it’ll...” Read full tasting note
  • “My friend picked me up some of these and sent me them. And finally I am trying them. I used 4 pearls for 12 oz of water, and steeped them for 4 minutes. The other jasmine black tea I’ve had tasted...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! 844. This wasn’t my favourite tea by a fair bit, but I figured it would work reasonably well in a travel mug as a tastier-than-hot-water beverage to be consumed while watching soccer. I...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

A novel tea

Black pearls, black jasmine teas and Chinese black teas are all extremely rare. So what do you get when you combine all three? A seriously special, super-rare, once-in-a-lifetime tea. And we’re super excited to announce that it’s a DAVIDsTEA exclusive! But this hand-rolled tea is more than just a pretty face: it’s rich, floral and uniquely refreshing. With its delicate jasmine aroma, caramel notes and lingering wild honey sweetness, it’s definitely a taste worth seeking out.

Ingredients: Organic black tea pearls from Hunnan Province, China, scented with jasmine blossoms.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

These look great, and a quite a novelty, not to mention that they don’t taste too bad either.

I steeped 2 of these (2.4g) in a relatively small mug (300ml?) for four minutes. The resulting tea came out very dark.

The dominant smell and taste was the jasmine, this was compounded by the fact that the black tea base had a light smooth flavor. Overall it was thick, smooth, floral, a bit chocolate-ish. There was no bitterness or astringency, it was really a light black in every way (except color).

Flavors: Chocolate, Floral, Jasmine

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

My favourite DT tea! So expensive but I use only 4-5 pearls in a 2-3 cup pot. Plus we reuse the teaball the next day. Sounds cheap but it still tastes beautiful and hey, this isn’t a cheap one. But it’s beautiful.

3 tsp 34 OZ / 1000 ML

Thanks Evol!

I was interested to see how these turned out because I have not been a huge fan of jasmine blacks previously. Then I try Shangs Tangerine Blossom Black and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now for this one.

I brewed three balls in my glass gaiwan to see how the leaves opened up. The first steep was a long five and a half minutes to get the balls to open. When I tried it, there was a amber candy sweetness to the black tea with the jasmine being oh so heady. Malt rounded off the taste overall in each steep.

The subsequent brews were much shorter, beginning at 50 sec and adding 15 sec increments to each later steep. The jasmine went back and forth, but the black tea itself really evolved going from sweet, to woodsy, to malty. There were some definite cocoa notes that faded in and out as well.

So I enjoyed this tea, but sometimes the black tea contrasted too much with the jasmine. I think that the black tea was high quality and that the scenting was high quality, but sometimes the two tastes didn’t always meld together. Sometimes I got girly jasmi-MALT-Oh-sweetness in the taste. If that makes any sense whatsoever. In comparison, the Tangerine Blossom’s citrus/orange peel helped balance the heady florals with the rich black tea. Essentially, I am biased to an orange or tangerine blossom over a jasmine for the florals of the black tea.

This is definitely a tea to try if you have never had a jasmine black, and I could see this tea on the full spectrum of hit, great, okay, meh, miss, and ew. You just have to know what jasmine tastes like and maybe what a Dragon Black Tea ball tastes like. If not, these pearls give you a good idea of how they taste and how other Yunnan blacks taste.

But like I said, I did enjoy this tea. I could easily see myself drinking the black base on its own. I also would not mind trying a jasmine black more often. I think the remaining two balls will do well in my tumbler too.

I brewed a trio of these pearls in my mug at work this morning. I’m not sure of the exact temperature as I used the hot water spout on our water cooler. Initially I received this tea for free as frequent steepers tea from Davids. I’ve been waiting to open it because I have so many other teas to drink. It was definitely worth the wait. I’m not usually someone who enjoys floral flavours in my tea but I found that the jasmine in this was not overwhelming. I steeped it for a second time for about 10 minutes. The second go was a bit milder but it still was as soothing as the first steep. This tea is a bit pricey but as an occasional indulgence I would definitely consider purchasing it again.

Flavors: Floral, Jasmine

Wasn’t sure how this one would work Gong Fu, but I actually ended up loving it a lot!

I got about five really solid infusions from it, and then two where all the jasmine flavour had completely been steeped out and all I could taste was near brewed out black tea. This certainly doesn’t have the stamina for a really long, drawn out session – I think the eight steep, had I gone for it, would definitely have been the final. However, after those first five this really stops being “Jasmine Black Pearls”, anyway.

Obviously there was some strong jasmine; but also lots of grape notes too because for me the two always come hand in hand. To kind of play off those floral/fruity notes I paired my session with some freshly sliced mango, which was really lovely and added an extra layer of sweetness to the tea. It also worked with the base tea, which had notes of malt and molasses but most importantly tons of baker’s chocolate taste. Chocolate and mango is an excellent combination!

Anyway, this session worked really well for me overall. It’s 100% something that I’d revisit, and frankly I think the best way I’ve brewed this tea to date.

Evol Ving Ness

Unfortunately, I have discovered that chocolate and almost any kind of tea is a delightful pairing. As a result, I have been eating far more chocolate than I plan to.

Roswell Strange

Gotta do it the other way around! Find a chocolate-y tasting tea, and pair it with fruit! ;)

MrQuackers

This is more like a “put in a DT travel mug and leave there” kind of tea.

These are pretty good. The jasmine flavor is noticeable but not too strong. The black tea base is very smooth, not malty or astringent. I bought the 2 oz sample size from David’s Tea which will last me a long while at the rate I drink non puerh teas, mostly first thing in the morning.

I brewed this once with about 3 tsp leaf or 8 pearls and boiling water in a 16 oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper for 4 minutes.

Flavors: Jasmine

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Rui A.

When I was in Canada late last year I also brought some of those jasmine black tea pearls for a colleague here in UK. The feedback I got was highly positive too.

AllanK

Yeah this was pretty good, no unpleasant notes to it.

Mmmmmmm. These pearls are amazing. Really gorgeous flavor.

Flavors: Jasmine

I used 5 pearls for 16oz.
These pearls are huge and they smell wonderful, malty chocolate with sweet Jasmine.
Unfortunately, the smell does not translate into the taste as much as I was anticipating. There are slight notes of malt and chocolate, the Jasmine is definitely in the background. It isn’t as sweet and floral as I was expecting it to be. I am enjoying this tea, but there is a touch of astringency. Maybe I am just getting more sensitive to astringency that I focus on it too much. Or I need to steep for less time.

Resteep 5 minutes.

I certainly won’t have any trouble finishing my sample, but at that price point, I certainly won’t be getting more.

S.G. Sanders

Do you think the Jasmine is what gives it the astringency?

tigress_al

Interesting Rufus, it’s a possibility. All the other Jasmine teas I have had have been green or white, and they were Brewed more delicately.

Black Friday gift to myself…

So, I remember reading about someone stocking up on these during every Davids Tea sale because they thought they were amazing. After trying them I am going to say that jasmine doesn’t go well with malt. I view jasmine as the gentle handshake and malt as a firmer one (coffee being the body builder squeeze). That being said, these things smell great and look wonderful but the taste seems to be a battle in my mouth between a calming drink and a semi brisk black tea.

I’ve drank darker oolong with jasmine and have the same conclusion; while lighter oolong can fair with jasmine. This is also true with the jasmine shou and sheng, as sheng is the only one I’ll drink again with jasmine.

I’ll be trying this two more times and if it doesn’t grow on me I’m sure others will enjoy it as part of a swap :)

Daylon R Thomas

I’ve just got the jasmine oolong from Taiwan Sourcing, and it was actually a darker oolong and I think it would work better with a greener one. I should probably try it again since I drank WAY TOO much tea this past week. Kidneys not happy with me.

I really like jasmine teas and when I saw Davidstea had a black jasmine tea, I purshased it immediately. I tastes really great, the black tea base is good and astringent and mixes well with the flowery taste of jasmine. I like that it comes in the shape of big pearls.

Flavors: Astringent, Jasmine