Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Brown Sugar, Cake, Cherry, Maple Syrup, Baked Bread, Butter, Coffee, Cream, Dirt, Metallic, Oats, Caramel, Maple, Cinnamon, Pineapple, Vanilla, Sweet, Fig, Bitter, Artificial
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample – I didn’t want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and it’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with.” Read full tasting note
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
  • “BAM! I was able to retrieve my DAVIDsTEA parcel without having to go to the bloody remote shipping centre. Bonus points for semi-freaking out the delivery guy because I was in the lobby when he...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Just a nice black tea. I over-steeped it the first time so it was too bitter to get any of the fruit flavours. Oops! But the second time I got it just right and enjoyed it a lot. I like black tea with milk and it helped with getting the cake-like flavours to come out.

Hah, once again my taste buds are nothing like everyone else’s! I really loved this one. There is something just warm and comforting about this one – the single strongest flavor impression for me is brioche. Maybe there’s a bit of a butter taste, and a touch of vanilla, but not spices or anything. There is a fruity hint as well, but it doesn’t read strong and overpowering. There is a faint coffee taste/aftertaste, but it was very faint – I think I only taste it because I don’t like coffee. I was fine with the hint of it in this tea, though. Seriously, this tea was like drinking a hug for me today. (Yes, overly saccharine description, but sorry, it fits for me!) Is it the finest tea ever? No, but I still loved it.

eta – I did not get any maple flavor from it as I see some others have, which I would notice as I don’t care for maple.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Butter, Coffee

I got to try this tea in my advent calendar this week and I can assure you that it tastes nothing like coffee. It is soooo good. I didn’t get much of the fruit taste, just a faint amount (which was perfect for me) and a creamy cakey taste. One of my new favorite teas. I steeped a perfect teaspoon with a mug.

8 min or more 1 tsp 350 OZ / 10350 ML

Brewed some hot black tea to help perk me up while I work on a final paper for one of my healthcare administration classes. I was hoping for more of a pick-me-up than this provided, I should have gotten out the matcha.

In any case, there were strong metallic and oat notes, with an undercurrent of maple or caramel, and a little creaminess. I found this to be more pleasant, and more maple-y, than David’s seasonal maple tea.
I was surprised to learn there was cherry and pineapple, as I did not taste fruitiness or citrus really at all.

Flavors: Coffee, Cream, Dirt, Metallic, Oats

Advent calendar day 5. I made this tea in my travel mug last night on the way out the door. I was first alarmed by the instant smell of caramel (I am allergic to caramel) but checked the ingredients and supposedly there isn’t any in this tea. It doesn’t smell or taste anything like coffee cake. I also didn’t get any fruitiness or cherry flavour like the package says which is unfortunate. The first word that comes to mind to describe this tea is meh. I didn’t like it, I didn’t dislike it, it was just okay. DavidsTea has many other teas I would much rather drink so I am going to skip this one from now on.

Flavors: Caramel, Maple

1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Day 5 of the David’s Tea Advent calendar. Made this when we were going out to grab groceries. Shared it with my husband, mostly because he really enjoyed it. Said he didn’t get any coffee cake from it though, just yummy flavors. He said he’d drink it daily. I enjoyed it as well but I’ve never seen him take to one so strongly.

1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

DAVID’S TEA Advent Calendar Day 5

Man, I love having a tea advent calendar! This is one I almost bought 50 grams of. I’m glad I didn’t. I don’t hate it. In fact, it’s nice. The pineapple is present, and there is a hint of bread in the background. Mind you, my sense of smell is on the fritz tonight, so I bet it has a lot more subtle flavors than I am getting. It’s probably not fair to compare it to some of the “bready” teas I’ve had from 52Teas like their Pancake Breakfast tea (which i loved!) All in all, a pleasant cup, but nothing to rush out and re-order.

Day 5/24 of the DAVID’s Tea advent calendar.

I know reviews for this haven’t been fantastic, so I was pleasantly surprised by this. It’s by no means a new favourite, but it did taste more like coffee cake and less like pineapple than I had expected it to based on what I had read. I do get pineapple notes, but mostly cinnamon, caramel, and cake (duh). There’s also something I can’t quite place, but it reminded me of some other teas from DAVID’s.

Overall, this tea does remind me of the cinnamon coffee cake that you can get at Superstore (which does have caramel drizzled over the top), which is awesome because that stuff is delicious. A little drying, but not as much as I found Red Velvet Cake to be.

Flavors: Cake, Caramel, Cinnamon, Pineapple

I can’t use the sliders to rate or specify steeping conditions bcos I’m using mobile but I really did not like this tea. I tried it in my 24 days of tea holiday calendar and was really excited to try it because it smelled like it could be good, but I did not enjoy it. I added milk and sugar but it did not help…the sugar may have made it worse? Tastes like oil and chemicals. I am usually a huge fan of David’s tea, although I know they can be hit-and-miss at times with their more wacky flavours. I was expecting it to be more cinnamon-ey sweet, as oppose to fruity sweet, although this tea hardly seems fruity to me.

1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML

I tried this as a free sample and was intrigued because the smell of the dry leaf was ahhhhmazigg! I wanted to like this tea very much. But I hated it. It didn’t even taste like any of the ingredients! I don’t know what it tasted like! Then I tried it again today in my advent calendar, giving it another chance because the smell of the dry leaf was sooo yummy! Nope. Still hate it.