Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Maple, Cake, Cherry, Maple Syrup, Baked Bread, Butter, Coffee, Cream, Dirt, Metallic, Oats, Cinnamon, Pineapple, Vanilla, Sweet, Fig, Bitter, Artificial
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample – I didn’t want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and it’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with.” Read full tasting note
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
  • “BAM! I was able to retrieve my DAVIDsTEA parcel without having to go to the bloody remote shipping centre. Bonus points for semi-freaking out the delivery guy because I was in the lobby when he...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

Price per 50g: $7.98

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I can’t use the sliders to rate or specify steeping conditions bcos I’m using mobile but I really did not like this tea. I tried it in my 24 days of tea holiday calendar and was really excited to try it because it smelled like it could be good, but I did not enjoy it. I added milk and sugar but it did not help…the sugar may have made it worse? Tastes like oil and chemicals. I am usually a huge fan of David’s tea, although I know they can be hit-and-miss at times with their more wacky flavours. I was expecting it to be more cinnamon-ey sweet, as oppose to fruity sweet, although this tea hardly seems fruity to me.

1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML

I tried this as a free sample and was intrigued because the smell of the dry leaf was ahhhhmazigg! I wanted to like this tea very much. But I hated it. It didn’t even taste like any of the ingredients! I don’t know what it tasted like! Then I tried it again today in my advent calendar, giving it another chance because the smell of the dry leaf was sooo yummy! Nope. Still hate it.

Day 5 of the 2016 advent calendar, plus a coupon that I’ll have to use! I actually ordered a skinny tin of this a few weeks ago but I just haven’t gotten around to trying it. I have to wonder how many people figured that this meant to be a coffee flavored tea based on the name, but I digress. This tea smells suspiciously similar to birthday cake, in fact I have some of it on-hand and comparing the smells, they are very similar. It’s a good smell though, it reminds me of well, a cake.

The color of this tea steeped is surprisingly light for what I expected, and the smell is more heavy on the black tea base. The taste is similar to David’s Birthday Cake tea, honestly. It tastes a bit fruitier, but of the ‘cake’ teas that I’ve tried from David’s, this is probably my least favourite as it just doesn’t have enough body for me.

This tea is good in it’s own right though, I don’t think it’s quite as bad as some make it out to be, although I won’t deny that there are better alternatives out there. I’ll be sure to finish my skinny tin of this at least.

Warm and slightly sweet, this definitely feels like all the comfort of a coffee cake in a mug.

This tea is ok. I steeped the full 7 mins but it generally tastes like hot water with a hint of flavor. Disappointing to get so little flavor. I used a tea bag for 16oz in a 12oz cup.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Oats, Vanilla

I’m glad this made a comeback so I could try it. It’s quite good now that I didn’t oversteep it. When I got my first sample of this I had oversteeped it but this time I let it steep for about 4 mins, and it’s just right. I tried this because I like coffee cake, but not coffee- and obviously this has no coffee, so I’m liking this. The fruit blends nicely to make a taste worthy of the name, I think. It’s sweet, like a dessert tea should be.
Some people say this tastes like Red Velvet or Birthday Cake but I disagree completely – I dislike both of those teas, and this tea tastes really good. So, guess peoples tastes are very different.

Flavors: Cake, Cherry, Sweet

Got this as a sample pouch. The dry leaf smells delicious – like butterscotch cake – but steeped up, the tea has so many weak, competing flavor notes that it’s just confusing. There’s something buttery and something vaguely fruity — I guess it COULD be the maraschino cherry, but really who knows? — and maybe something that’s coffee-ish, but nothing’s working together. I think this would work a lot better if the buttery note was turned up. As it stands this is just vaguely sweet, muddled tea.

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I got this as a sample from David’s Tea, though it was a replacement for another sample I requested. I tend to like dessert teas, though finding a good one is a challenge. There’s something off-putting about this tea. The overall flavor is bitter vanilla butter. The aftertaste is bitter and artificial, though I find that to be a theme with a number of David’s Teas I’ve had.

Flavors: Butter, Cake, Vanilla

This tea is drinkable, but not my fav. I tried it a few years ago and did not like it at all. I am unsure if they changed their recipe or if my taste buds have changed, but I was able to finish my cup instead of just tossing it down the drain.

I found this hiding in the back of my cupboard while I was doing some sorting and cleaning up this weekend… I’ve decided its time for me to drink through all my older teas and of course, to be able to do that I need to know what I actually have lurking way back there in the depths of my cupboards… Honestly, this isn’t quite as flavorsome as I remember it but it still tastes pretty darn good for a tea thats probably over two years old now! I guess those David’s Tea canisters really do help retain the tea flavors over time! I need to make sure I don’t throw out the tin later this week when I’ve finally sipped all of this down.

Scent and flavor wise it’s still pretty heavy on the coffee, brown sugar and butter…I’m still getting a hint of cherry but the pineapple is AWOL. Its a touch too sweet and a tad bit artificial tasting as the sip lingers in the mouth. I remember just how much I enjoyed this when I first bought it and although its aged pretty decently in my opinion, my taste buds have moved on a little from Davids Tea blends and these days I tend to prefer something a little more natural tasting although this won’t stop me from sipping down my tin this week.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butter, Cake, Cherry, Coffee