Vanilla Chai

Black Tea, Cinnamon, Ginger, Licorice Root, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Vanilla
Anise, Artificial, Bitter, Cinnamon, Clove, Licorice, Spices, Sugar, Sweet, Vanilla, Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg, Apple, Candy
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

From DAVIDsTEA

There’s no better way to warm up a chilly winter day than a hot cup of chai. The combo of rich black tea and exotic spice is like a cup of pure comfort. And this spicy black tea blend turns up the heat even more with a sweet and creamy hint of vanilla. It’s as cozy as a teddy bear wearing a scarf. In front of a roaring fire. While cuddling with a puppy. Try it with milk and sugar for a warming treat that’ll have you wishing for snow.

Price per 50g: $8.50

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Had this one made for me in store today as a latte; it’s always a little bit weird having others make my tea for me – that lost bit of control in doing my own preparation actually gives me a small bit of anxiety. Does anyone else feel that?

The tea guide who made it for me did it perfectly though; and I enjoyed the softer spices of this Chai blend, and the sweetness of the vanilla. I struggled a lot to get over the intense licorice root in the finish – it’s not an ingredient I’m very fond of myself, and I forgot just how prominent it is in this blend. Still, for a very rainy day having that warm cup of Chai was a nice treat/pick me up. Licorice root and all.

derk

Anxiety? Nah, but I do get mad that all the coffee places default to the high-temp tap for all teas. Why not keep a variable temp kettle behind the counter?
mrmopar’s tea prep actually made me feel ridiculously at ease.

Mastress Alita

I get that anxiety. Apparently it’s a real thing, known as tepidophobia—look it up!

VariaTEA

I haven’t noticed anxiety but I don’t usually let others make my tea for me, except when I go to afternoon tea or the odd time I pick up a tea to-go at DAVIDs. Normally when someone else does make my tea, I am critical of it which has led to my sister and brother-in-law learning things you shouldn’t do when making teas and that delights me lol

mrmopar

ha Derk, just simple prep. We can make it harder without trying sometime. Thanks for the compliment. I am not really skilled. Big old hands you know….

Live for chai tea.

This is a licorice tea not a chai tea in the classical sense.it borders on too sweet even lessening the amount of tea leaves used. It may be good for the licorice tea lover but as a chai it doesn’t represent.

Sipdown!

Pretty good for a work tea, though I feel like I could have used 2 teaspoons instead of a tablespoon and gotten a similar flavor. The sweetness from the licorice is consistent and hangs around, though not in an unpleasant way. The cinnamon and vanilla flavors, however, are more inconsistent. Though, I did have a few cups of this that tasted like cinnamon rolls gooey from the oven … That was kind of spectacular.

Nope, too much licorice. It just overwhelms the whole cup

keychange

Agreed. So gross.

I like vanilla. I like chai. I like them together. But I don’t like licorice. It’s just not right and it hits the back of your throat in a weird way… and it makes my cheeks feel weird.

Either way… I like the idea of this tea, but the licorice makes me dislike it so much. I’m sure if I like licorice, then I wouldn’t mind this tea but since I don’t, I don’t like this one at all. I should have known… Anyways, I’ve given the tiny bit left to my aunt. I know she’ll enjoy it or one of her girls will.

scribbles

I had the same thoughts. Great idea. Blech to the licorice.

Nom nom nom. A little heavy on the clove. Rice milk mellows it out and highlights the vanilla. I think the rice milk is also smoothing out the artificialness that others have noticed, because it’s not bugging me here. Thanks to EmilyGee for the swap!

There is a chemical taste in the mix that spoils the spicy flavour.

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

I had this as a soy latte chai. I think my refusal to try any of the chai tea as just teas and needing them as lattes skew my perception. I love the way the smells pops out of my kitchen and the aroma fills the breathing air with the aroma that speaks to me that this is a place that tea, coffee, and book lovers worship.

The books recommended for this tea are: I Know Why The Cage Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

I wanted to like this so badly. Vanilla and chai? Sounds like a dream team, except theres this weird artificial vanilla taste and no spiciness of the chai like you’d hope. Tried this like I normally drink chai – milk and sugar – maybe if I try something different it would be better? Hopefully, since I bought 40g of it expecting it’d be great (and because it was 40% off)!

I… actually like this. The vanilla adds a creaminess, and there’s a liquorice/ginger sweetness that lingers if you sip. Oddly, taking a gulp makes it far less appealing, but in sipping and savouring, a nicer flavour seems to emerge. The vanilla disappears and the liquorice gets stronger with milk and sugar added. To be honest, I actually prefer it without.
I’m not sure how chai-y this tea actually is, but it’s interesting and not bad. Definitely worth the try at least, and I’ll enjoy finishing up the sample I have.