Vanilla Chai

Black Tea, Cinnamon, Ginger, Licorice Root, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Vanilla
Anise, Artificial, Bitter, Cinnamon, Clove, Licorice, Spices, Sugar, Sweet, Vanilla, Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg, Apple, Candy
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

From DAVIDsTEA

There’s no better way to warm up a chilly winter day than a hot cup of chai. The combo of rich black tea and exotic spice is like a cup of pure comfort. And this spicy black tea blend turns up the heat even more with a sweet and creamy hint of vanilla. It’s as cozy as a teddy bear wearing a scarf. In front of a roaring fire. While cuddling with a puppy. Try it with milk and sugar for a warming treat that’ll have you wishing for snow.

Price per 50g: $8.50

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Live for chai tea.

This is a licorice tea not a chai tea in the classical sense.it borders on too sweet even lessening the amount of tea leaves used. It may be good for the licorice tea lover but as a chai it doesn’t represent.

Sipdown!

Pretty good for a work tea, though I feel like I could have used 2 teaspoons instead of a tablespoon and gotten a similar flavor. The sweetness from the licorice is consistent and hangs around, though not in an unpleasant way. The cinnamon and vanilla flavors, however, are more inconsistent. Though, I did have a few cups of this that tasted like cinnamon rolls gooey from the oven … That was kind of spectacular.

Nope, too much licorice. It just overwhelms the whole cup

keychange

Agreed. So gross.

I like vanilla. I like chai. I like them together. But I don’t like licorice. It’s just not right and it hits the back of your throat in a weird way… and it makes my cheeks feel weird.

Either way… I like the idea of this tea, but the licorice makes me dislike it so much. I’m sure if I like licorice, then I wouldn’t mind this tea but since I don’t, I don’t like this one at all. I should have known… Anyways, I’ve given the tiny bit left to my aunt. I know she’ll enjoy it or one of her girls will.

scribbles

I had the same thoughts. Great idea. Blech to the licorice.

Nom nom nom. A little heavy on the clove. Rice milk mellows it out and highlights the vanilla. I think the rice milk is also smoothing out the artificialness that others have noticed, because it’s not bugging me here. Thanks to EmilyGee for the swap!

There is a chemical taste in the mix that spoils the spicy flavour.

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

I had this as a soy latte chai. I think my refusal to try any of the chai tea as just teas and needing them as lattes skew my perception. I love the way the smells pops out of my kitchen and the aroma fills the breathing air with the aroma that speaks to me that this is a place that tea, coffee, and book lovers worship.

The books recommended for this tea are: I Know Why The Cage Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

I wanted to like this so badly. Vanilla and chai? Sounds like a dream team, except theres this weird artificial vanilla taste and no spiciness of the chai like you’d hope. Tried this like I normally drink chai – milk and sugar – maybe if I try something different it would be better? Hopefully, since I bought 40g of it expecting it’d be great (and because it was 40% off)!

I… actually like this. The vanilla adds a creaminess, and there’s a liquorice/ginger sweetness that lingers if you sip. Oddly, taking a gulp makes it far less appealing, but in sipping and savouring, a nicer flavour seems to emerge. The vanilla disappears and the liquorice gets stronger with milk and sugar added. To be honest, I actually prefer it without.
I’m not sure how chai-y this tea actually is, but it’s interesting and not bad. Definitely worth the try at least, and I’ll enjoy finishing up the sample I have.

Continuing on catching up with my DavidsTea advent calendar. When I saw this I was excited, I’m a big chai fan.

Dry – Mix of black tea and various chunks of spices. Has a sweet almost bourbon smell to it.

Steeped – Dark brown liquid but for a black tea, I can still see the bottom of the cup! Has a sweet spicy smell.

Taste – Licorice and some chai spices, very little vanilla. It was surprisingly sweet. The spices lingered in the back of my throat. It was a bit bitter even though I did the minimum brewing time. After my initial tasting I added unsweetened almond milk which did cut the sweetness and bitter aftertaste. This makes a much better latte.

Too much licorice, not enough vanilla and far too sweet. Definitely not for me.

Flavors: Anise, Artificial, Bitter, Cinnamon, Clove, Licorice, Spices, Sugar, Sweet